Parking to NCL dock in NYC and constructive concerns?

garyzi

Hi there,

We are a family with 3 kids, and are going to drive from northern VA to NCL dock for our middle December cruise. I have following questions. Any help is appreciated!

1. Normally, how long it takes to drive into NYC? Google map suggests 4 hours from my house to 711 12th AvenueNew York, New York 10019. Should I reserve 2 hours to beat the NYC traffic?

2. I am planning to park in the dock parking facility. Is the parking close to their GPS address, 711 12th AvenueNew York, New York 10019? And is it often full recently?

3. As plan B, I am going to park in ParkRight at 43rd street. Though they seem have bad review, but charge less for the minivan I am driving there, about 320 for 11 nights. Other parking facilities charge 15 in addition each day for minivan so close to 400 for 11 nights.

4. I am planning to drop off my family and luggages at the port, then drive to parking, then walk back to the port to meet with my family. Half hour should be good enough, right?

5. Do I need to bring suit and tie for the restaurant on the ship? Is jean good enough?

Thanks in advance!

Is that the Gem sailing for Mon. 11th of December - that's a weekday morning & I don't need to tell you about the Beltway commute, or just getting out of NOVA - how far from the Potomac crossings ?? Taking I-95 North or via the Parkway (never liked driving on it) ... it can take you upward of 90 minutes to get to the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel :halo: even if you hit the highway at 5:30 AM. It's another hour to get up to Delaware - my usual stop for restroom & maybe gasoline, and food/snacks ... just to stretch my legs, or wait till I get onto the NJ Turnpike. Then, it's usually another 2 hours into NYC. Overall, I would set aside 4.5 to 5.5 hours on a weekday to make this run, weather & road conditions permitting (I haven't done this in a while ... not updated as to whether highway constructions are ongoing, lately) Definitely not 4 hours unless you drive nonstop & travel at the upper limits above the traffic flow, which is often above the posted 65 mph on many stretches.

And, I assume you have EZ-Pass to speed thru the toll crossings ??

Manhattan Cruise Terminal's GPS address is correct - entrance is W. 55th Street & 12th Avenue and roof-top parking is directly above the pier, most likely the ship will be at Pier 88 (signage will be visible & you can't miss the ship on your approach)

There is no need to worry about the parking lot running full, there's plenty of spaces & not aware of it being close to capacity during the winter months - and, there is another outdoor lot next door at Pier 90 to handle any (unlikely) overflow. The rate of $40 covered the taxes & there are no surcharges for vans & SUV, pickup truck, etc. (maximum is $400 ... the Gem parking 25% discount coupon is no longer honored & has been discontinued, sorry)

Generally speaking, NCL begin boarding around 11:30 AM, a little earlier for Haven, VIP, Special Needs & Platinum members - allow 30 to 45+ minutes to get thru security & complete pier check-in. If you leave at 5:30 AM, I don't see you arriving before 10:30 or 11 AM ... could be later if unpredictable traffic approaching NYC are bad. I highly recommend using Waze or Google Map for real-time traffic navigation.

For simplicity to someone unfamiliar with driving into and getting around the pier area - just park above the pier, lock it & the lot is secured while you are on the cruise. On disembarkation, easy to just get into the vehicle & start the drive home.

No need to bring a suit or tie, unless you wanted to dress up since NCL is resort casual for evening dinner. Neat & clean jeans are fine, like a pair or two of khaki pants, i.e. Levi's Dockers will do - even for fine dining in the optional specialty dining with fees & 20% service charge, a collar shirt & tie will more than suffice.

You should also have a plan B in case of snow. This would be leaving on Sunday and getting last minute accommodations in NJ. I'm seeing good rates at the Courtyard and Residence Inn in Cranbury/East Windsor for 5 people(always a problem) on Dec 10.

To give you an idea of weekday morning traffic, I live 12 miles west of the cruise terminal, google maps says it will take me 1 hour 2 minutes to get there right now. This is normal traffic. I think I’d come the night. Fore.

As mentioned the traffic backup in the tunnels into NYC can be sizable. Staying somewhere locally the night before is a good idea.

Oh, yes - winter weather is always a factor, although the I-95 highway DOT crews generally do a pretty good job, keeping it open & passable, unless it's a major storm or blizzard - in which case, expect 5.5 hours+ ... leaving from Rockville, MD & hit the Beltway, then I-95 North.

Upon thinking again, it might be too late to find a park-n- cruise package for 11 nights almost last minute, maybe Carol/138East can find something - costs might be comparable to parking above the cruise terminal, from nearby NJ hotels (Secaucus/Ridgefield, etc.) with such available deals ... drive up on Sunday, have dinner & rest up, and let the pro driver deal with crossing the Hudson River.

Otherwise, those just off the NJ Tpke would be good staging to resume on Monday morning, putting you within 1.5 to 2 hours of crossing the Lincoln Tunnel (or, often the "evil" alternative - go north for the George Wash. Bridge to head south for the pier to park)

We usually aim to be at the pier by 10, no later than 10:30 - taking maybe up to 30 minutes to get thru security & check-in, another 15 to 30 minutes before early boarding (and, on the ship by 11:30 ... MDR is open for sit-down lunch at noon as we do our best to avoid the buffet, open @11:30 for the masses)

If you're to keep your original plans & aware of the weather, road conditions & risk on the move - it probably pulling out of your driveway no later than 4 to 4:30 AM ... children probably still asleep.

Thanks a lot for the valuable suggestions and tips. Originally, I thought we could leave Fairfax city, NOVA, at 8am, which is the earliest time my wife could get up. Then catch the boat before it is departing at 4PM. But I may need to rethink it.

Another good tip is to get EZPass. Just applied online, and hope will get it before leaving. Fingers crossed.

Again, thanks for your suggestion!

Thanks a lot for the valuable suggestions and tips. Originally, I thought we could leave Fairfax city, NOVA, at 8am, which is the earliest time my wife could get up. Then catch the boat before it is departing at 4PM. But I may need to rethink it.

Another good tip is to get EZPass. Just applied online, and hope will get it before leaving. Fingers crossed.

Again, thanks for your suggestion!

Serious rethinking is a good strategy. If you drive up to NJ the night before, your wife can sleep in until 8 am. Otherwise she needs to decide between sleeping until 8 am or making it to the ship by 2:30 pm.

... I thought we could leave Fairfax city, NOVA, at 8am, which is the earliest time my wife could get up. Then catch the ship before it is departing at 4PM ...

BTW, welcome to CC and I am guessing this is your first time cruising and out of NY ?? Yes, most definitely, you must rethink ... as Carol said, just to reinforce it.

Mrs. can sleep again, once she & the kids get into the vehicle and you are on the way, no later than 4:30 AM to 5 AM ... somewhere near Tyson's Corner ?? to get onto I-66E for the Beltway, etc. I looked at the E.T.A. this morning from NOVA to MCT, looking at around 5 hours of non-stop driving - and there is construction activities on the NJT around Edison, basically as you get close to NY area in the late morning hours.

You could take your chance leaving the house at 6 AM, but smack into metro DC/VA/MD's morning traffic ... and cross fingers & legs on getting across the Hudson River into Manhattan by noon or even 1 PM, not getting held up by congestion, construction and incidents on the highway ... or getting lost finding your way to the pier (have you ever driven this or similar route ??)

For NCL sailings, passengers need to be checked in and onboard by 2 PM for a 4 PM sailing - just above everyone else would be finished with their sit-down lunch (highly recommended) or the AYCE buffet by then. Not a good & relaxing way to enjoy and start a cruise after 5 hours or more of nonstop driving.

If you do not get your EZP transponder in time, pick one up locally in MD/VA from a retailer location, like Giant Supermarket - the ones from MD are ready to go, mount & drive ... but, you will need to add funds for the round-trip or make sure to link a credit card for refill.

https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/RegisterOnTheGo.aspx

Good luck & happy cruising.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Gaithersburg MD, we have cruise out of either NYC, or New Jersey 10 times. I was born in NYC, I would never try to drive up the same day of the cruise, no matter where we cruise from we always arrive the night before.

Many years ago we were driving home from an NCL cruise out of NYC, we were on the Jersey Turnpike, and I noticed no traffic going north. It turns out an large RV and

Semi truck had an accident. Turns out the turnpike was shut down for many hours. If we had been driving to the cruise, we would never had made it.

Go early lots of good hotels off the Jersey Turnpike close to the city.