Cruising Snobbery

e3g

Our first cruise was in 1998 on the Carnival Elation. We were lucky to have a couple from Kansas at our table for 8. They were on their 5th cruise and shared their experience and knowledge with us. One of the things the husband shared that I never forgot was how creative your tablemates get when trying to find out the category and general location of your stateroom/cabin.

We are doing our 7th cruise in Jan, 2018 on the Eurodam (first HAL cruise).

On each of our subsequent cruises, that has always come up at dinner. The longest it took was on the Celebrity Summit. It took 3 dinners.

Our last cruise was to Alaska on the Princess Diamond in 2010. As in the past, I turn to Cruise Critic for research before selecting a cruise. There is so much more snobbery and snarkyness (is that a word) than in the past that it amazes me. Maybe it is a sign of the times. Have others noticed this?

I was prompted to write this after reading the "I'm So Over Half Moon Cay" thread.

I have never been asked the location nor the category of my cabin ever. I find it amazing that anyone would be the slightest bit interested. I must be very naive..

In 20-some cruises on a variety of cruise lines we've also never been asked about our cabin.

I have never been asked the location nor the category of my cabin ever. I find it amazing that anyone would be the slightest bit interested. I must be very naive..

Neither have I, not even when travelling with a group for 30 days. The only one who knew, was right across the hall from me, so we would sometimes see each other.

I don't know that I'd call it "cruising snobbery" but it seems a lot of people want to seem more important or in the know than others. Especially others they will never see again. I remember one man at our MDR table, no matter what you said, he could top it. If you said you'd played golf with the Pope, he'd say he'd played with God. It got to be pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never been asked about cabin either except when private excursions are involved in case people need to get up with us.

Snobbery happens on cruises just like everywhere in society. We have met some of the nicest people on ships as well as a handful that are not so nice. Thankful the former out number the latter.

I can recall a couple of times at dinner when the conversation turned to types of accommodations on board ship -- which, when you come to think about it, is not really surprising when traveling on a ship.

I did not see any "one-upsmanship" or other sense of snobbishness in line of conversation; but now I wonder: should discussions of cabin preferences on CC threads like this be also seen as displays of snobbishness?

Never been asked about cabin either except when private excursions are involved in case people need to get up with us.

Snobbery happens on cruises just like everywhere in society. We have met some of the nicest people on ships as well as a handful that are not so nice. Thankful the former out number the latter.

That's been our experience as well.

After 32 cruises on many different lines and ships, not once have we been asked about our cabin. Nor have we asked others. Really, who cares? We've done interiors and suites and everything in between and our enjoyment of our cruise and cruisemates was not reflective of our cabin choice. I don't remember meeting any people who you would consider a snob. You can be a postal worker or a brain surgeon and we're all equal on our cruise. I'm just too damn busy having fun!

some snobbery for sure - the wine list isn't good enough - "pre-made"sandwiches - had enough of HMC - I find it tiresome but have never dealt with it personally - only see it one here

If someone doesn't like premade sandwiches or HMC, I see that as an opinion, not snobbery.

Roz

We have never been asked and have never asked anyone.

The only person whose cabin I care about is my wife's ;p

LOL!!!! Best quote so far!!

Same here. I personally don’t care where people are on a cruise. Not the highest priority. This isn’t the cast system that once was on Titanic where the rich were rich and the poor were poor.

Denise:)

We have never been asked our cabin number, but we have been asked, while waiting to board, what deck we were on. And I have noticed while waiting to board lots of people check out your luggage tags where the cabin number is prominently displayed.

Yes, the world and these threads are full of lots of snobbery. All you have to do is wait and it will be on full display in a dress code thread. I find the absolute worst offenders are those who like to throw out their cruise history. Experience is great. Yet many forget that experience is also affected by our perceptions and beliefs. Memories of our experiences are often unreliable, yet many want us to believe that their history some how makes them an expert.

FWIW: I don't know if there is more snark on the boards - just the same posters displaying the same snark.

Yes, there are times when I have noticed a lot of snarkiness on this site. I just ignore it and move on.

Yes -- when we used to share tables in the dining room, we did have others there ask what cabin category we were in -- various cruise lines. One couple even had the nerve to ask what we paid for our cruise -- we never answered them.

we recently went on the dream out of New Orleans and we found almost the opposite that when we told people that we were from Virginia all of deep southerners in midwesters gave us a blank stare. We are two professionals that grew up with a humble roots in live in a small town yet by the end of the cruise it was clear to us that we were being treated like east coast elites based on where we lived and we could not engage in simple conversations once they heard we were from a blue state. Out of all the cruises I’ve been on this is the only one where we’ve been treated this way and not made a ton of new friends. To be honest it looks like the ship backed up to the bass pro shop and loaded up all of its customers but that doesn’t bother us, Because they look like our extended family members for the most part. So I would consider this reverse snobbery we felt completely snubbed Because basically we were some of the only people on the ship not wearing an article of camo

Edited by imouer

Yes, RedneckBob has experienced snobbery first hand. Years ago we were in one of those inside cabins that was so close to the bottom of the ship that it had this small door in the wall with a sign above the door that said, " Close Door after Shoveling Coal" :D

So even though we were in this cabin we were invited to all the events with people in Suites. We never found out why but maybe it was because the Hotel Manager first name was Bubba.

Back to the story. We were attending a cocktail party given by the Captain for all the "Suite" people and a man came up to me and said and I quote, what a great party, we don't have to mingle with those other people. Well I said I am one of those other people.

We've never had questions about the location of our cabin. And I don't recall any cruising snobbery on the ship, while there is lots on this website! Only once was our cabin mentioned when the wine steward commented on my my gold colour card, and said he'll have to be nice to me.... needless to say he wasn't one of my favourite people thereafter!

I don't know that I'd call it "cruising snobbery" but it seems a lot of people want to seem more important or in the know than others. Especially others they will never see again. I remember one man at our MDR table, no matter what you said, he could top it. If you said you'd played golf with the Pope, he'd say he'd played with God. It got to be pretty funny.

OH! I think we met them :D (y)