Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy on HAL?

Kingofcool1947

At over 100 days on HAL, never seen it myself. Does not mean it could not happen, just never seen it served myself.

Wouldn't take it off the Lido Buffer myself, as I like mine nice an crispy. Sitting on a steam table would take out some of the 'crispness' of the coating.

At over 100 days on HAL, never seen it myself. Does not mean it could not happen, just never seen it served myself.

Wouldn't take it off the Lido Buffer myself, as I like mine nice an crispy. Sitting on a steam table would take out some of the 'crispness' of the coating.

Thank you.

How about good Southern fried chicken, with a crispy coating?

You'd probably have to bring your own ready made shake and bake bag, have the grill man coat one of their flank or strip streaks and there you go.

p.s. Bring a bottle of wallmart country gravy too!

You'd probably have to bring your own ready made shake and bake bag, have the grill man coat one of their flank or strip streaks and there you go.

Sounds like a plan. :)

Thanks!

I can't say I've ever seen it - either on the menu or at the Lido. HAL used to have fried chicken on the dining room menu for lunch on embarkation day, but as of our last sailing, the menu had changed and it was no longer there. Too bad, I really liked the chicken breast done all nice and crispy. When I told the maitre d' who was wandering by our table that I was disappointed the fried chicken wasn't on the menu any longer, he started lecturing me about how I shouldn't let a small thing like that ruin my vacation and that there were many other dishes to choose from. Um, I never said it ruined my vacation, I just missed not having it, that's all. Sheesh!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thinking of a 2st time cruise on HAL. Can I get some Southern style Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy. :)

Is it available in the MDR? Or available in the Buffet?

Thank you.

We've been on two HAL cruises and have never seen that.

Good southern style chicken fried steak is very hard to find even here in the south. Too often, it's a frozen patty and not the freshly prepared kind with the crispy outer shell.

On Embarkation day in the main dining room they offer a

Crispy Country-Style Buttermilk Chicken" for lunch. I tried it a couple of times -- terrible!! Not crispy. I had a step-grandmother who grew up in the south and made the best Crispy Fried Chicken I have ever had.

HAL doesn't offer anything like what you want.

When I told the maitre d' who was wandering by our table that I was disappointed the fried chicken wasn't on the menu any longer, he started lecturing me about how I shouldn't let a small thing like that ruin my vacation and that there were many other dishes to choose from. Um, I never said it ruined my vacation, I just missed not having it, that's all. Sheesh!

Hahahaha. Sounds like some of our CC members.

I can't say I've ever seen it - either on the menu or at the Lido. HAL used to have fried chicken on the dining room menu for lunch on embarkation day, but as of our last sailing, the menu had changed and it was no longer there. Too bad, I really liked the chicken breast done all nice and crispy. When I told the maitre d' who was wandering by our table that I was disappointed the fried chicken wasn't on the menu any longer, he started lecturing me about how I shouldn't let a small thing like that ruin my vacation and that there were many other dishes to choose from. Um, I never said it ruined my vacation, I just missed not having it, that's all. Sheesh!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Southern Fried Chicken? YES but not always crispy but when it was it was great@

psst ... OP was asking about chicken fried steak and NOT about fried chicken ... it pays to pay attention ...

Southern Fried Chicken? YES but not always crispy but when it was it was great@

On Embarkation day in the main dining room they offer a Crispy Country-Style Buttermilk Chicken" for lunch. I tried it a couple of times -- terrible!! Not crispy. I had a step-grandmother who grew up in the south and made the best Crispy Fried Chicken I have ever had.

HAL doesn't offer anything like what you want.

See Post # 12 above - the topic is chicken fried steak and not fried chicken ...

Must be a product that Wal*Mart has for the California market 'cuz there is no such thing as bottled gravy in the South.

psst ... OP was asking about chicken fried steak and NOT about fried chicken ... it pays to pay attention ...

You know, sometimes it pays to read the whole thread since southern fried chicken was the next question.

hopefully it meets with your approval if people answer questions - after all that is what Cruise Critic is about or do you want them to call Seattle :rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! [emoji4] [emoji4] :)

That chicken was the best! I remember having it at lunch in the MDR...the day we left Bermuda on the Veendam. Day 5 of a 7 day cruise...so not embarkation day. It was sooooo good!

On another note, have never heard of chicken fried steak! Is it chicken or steak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, sometimes it pays to read the whole thread since southern fried chicken was the next question.

hopefully it meets with your approval if people answer questions - after all that is what Cruise Critic is about or do you want them to call Seattle :rolleyes:

That actually made me LOL

That chicken was the best! I remember having it at lunch in the MDR...the day we left Bermuda on the Veendam. Day 5 of a 7 day cruise...so not embarkation day. It was sooooo good!

On another note, have never heard of chicken fried steak! Is it chicken or steak?

Yes, it’s steak. It’s done like Chicken Fried Chicken (fried pounded chicken breast) which is different than Southern Fried Chicken. The Country Gravy is a White Sausage Gravy and many like the Gravy over biscuits, too. It’s big here in the South!

Thank goodness someone other than me doesn't know what chicken fried steak is. We saw it on menus when we were in the US but couldn't quite get our heads around it. Don't ask for it in Australia. It is called Chicken Schnitzel over here. We also don't have white gravy. Gravy is brown. 😂😂

Thank goodness someone other than me doesn't know what chicken fried steak is. We saw it on menus when we were in the US but couldn't quite get our heads around it. Don't ask for it in Australia. It is called Chicken Schnitzel over here. We also don't have white gravy. Gravy is brown. [emoji23][emoji23]

I love freshly made "chicken fried steak" particularly since, if made correctly in the style of German immigrants to Texas, it is basically the same as decent "wiener schnitzel."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love freshly made "chicken fried steak" particularly since, if made correctly in the style of German immigrants to Texas, it is basically the same as decent "wiener schnitzel."

Well, while I love both chicken fried steak and schnitzel, and your derivation history of chicken fried steak is spot on, but comparing a pounded minute steak to a veal cutlet is sacrilege. We have a German restaurant here in Portland, run by a chef trained in Germany and his German wife, that makes the best veal and pork schnitzel I've had. On the other hand, when in Texas, chicken fried steak can be found that is fantastic as well, and biscuits and sausage gravy are my go to breakfast down south.

... thanks for your helpful and friendly comment ...

Thank goodness someone other than me doesn't know what chicken fried steak is. We saw it on menus when we were in the US but couldn't quite get our heads around it. Don't ask for it in Australia. It is called Chicken Schnitzel over here. We also don't have white gravy. Gravy is brown. [emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji23][emoji28][emoji23]

Well, while I love both chicken fried steak and schnitzel, and your derivation history of chicken fried steak is spot on, but comparing a pounded minute steak to a veal cutlet is sacrilege. We have a German restaurant here in Portland, run by a chef trained in Germany and his German wife, that makes the best veal and pork schnitzel I've had. On the other hand, when in Texas, chicken fried steak can be found that is fantastic as well, and biscuits and sausage gravy are my go to breakfast down south.

I'm always looking for chicken fried steak in the SF Bay Area. But, mostly what is available is mass produced and purchased by restaurants.

As for schnitzel, the closest we come when cooking at home is vitello Milanese and Parmigiano.