Weather out of NYC i n March

cruisebunnies

Yes, check Weather Channel, AccuWeather, National Weather Services or WeatherUnderground, etc. about 5 to 10 days before your cruise, and pack accordingly ... we typically take a layered approach. Heavier winter outwear tend to stay in the stateroom's closet for the duration of the cruise & not needed - a fleece jacket, hoodie or nylon windbreaker is really all that is needed, maybe a vest.

We've sailed in February, March & April out of NYC over the years, we are no better guessing at what mother nature will do in 3+ months from now. But, it is fairly common to be warm enough by the afternoon of Day 2 (first full sea day) once the ship is south of the Virginia & Carolinas, depending on the cold & warm fronts. By the morning of Day 3 (2nd. full sea days) - the ship would've easily sailed another 200 to 250+ nautical miles further south toward the tropical islands ... and, would be even warmer.

Rough seas and near gale force wind are often more of a problem resulting in the closing & lockdown of all the outdoor deck space for safety - and, that can happen any months out of the year.

March is one of those months that is impossible to predict! You can have a glorious sunny day or you can have a snow storm! I agree with the other posts that you will need to unfortunately wait until closer to the sailing and check the forecasts. That probably doesn't help you decide whether or not to book...

Good luck!

• Like 1

Sailed out of NYC the first week of March a few years ago. The first day, there was enough snow that we couldn't see the Statue of Liberty and I nearly killed myself slipping on the deck. As others have said, it was warm enough to shed most layers by the afternoon of the second day. Now we fly to Florida even though NYC is close enough for us to drive to.

We sailed out end of March. Sail away was warm and sunny but as soon as the sun went it was cold. First day at sea I was sun baking on the Haven sun deck :) however coming home our last sea day was rough and waves were hitting the our cabin and the bridge on deck 10 and 11.

Embarkation day is a crap shoot. There has been snow & I've gone to the beach in March. You just never know.

The day you board will be seasonal, think cold. The next day is a sea day & it will probably be at least cool. Assume you will be doing indoor activities. If you get really luck & have a thick skin you may be able to brave a hot tub. The next day, your 2nd sea day will be perfect for laying out; you will be "in Florida."

On the way home that last sea day is perfect for re-setting your mind set. Alas I have been known to log in & work remotely for 2-3 hours to ease myself back into the daily grind.

Been on Breakaway from NYC in April, October, and December.

Weather is totally unpredictable October to April. Last October we had a chilly first sea day and the second was good for pools.

Just finished the December 3 cruise, and we had pool weather days 1 and 2 on the way down - amazing good weather. But on the way home - yikes - it was too cold to be outside from the Bahamas on!

• 1 year later...

hi sailing march 15 2020 bliss  entire cruise  prices went down  200 off my studio!! is this  a weather thing! was escape last oct  dressed  winter went to summer back to 2 cold days at sea  !!! oct  like  march?

I sailed out of NYC in December and it was no problem I have lived in different parts of NJ from south to Central and even north for college and March can be a crazy month. We have had blizzards in March which I really hope is not the case for you. Most of the times I just hope to make it snow free by the Ides of March (15th) but we have gotten snow and cold as far as tax day in April. Just keep an eye on the weather.