Flying with Southwest

tmaas21

Just sitting here thinking things through - and have come up with a flight question, leading up to sailing on the HOS on the 23rd.

I have Business Select privileges, so checking in is not that big of deal for me. Going to get A15 in the worst case scenario...

My travel companion does not have Business select --- so she will need to "check-in" 24 hours in advance to get a good boarding position. Yes, I know that I can "save" a seat...but don't want to be that guy holding a seat for boarding position C30. LOL.

Don't plan on getting wifi during the week....want to be totally unconnected. Any advice, other than just simply paying for Early Bird checkin?

Thanks in advance.

My DH has A-preferred status on SW, so he gets an early assigned # and puts his carry on on the middle seat (not many people choose the middle seat so he doesn't feel badly doing that). I always check in as close to exactly 24 hrs before the flight and get a decent #. But if you aren't able to check in or you don't want to ask someone to use the computer (I would be happy to let someone use 10 minutes of my internet time), you could always put your jacket or a carry-on on the middle seat:) Happy cruising!

On our last cruise we had internet as a freebie. Someone we befriended on the cruise and hung around with off and on asked to use my ipad to check in and we were fine with that. I wouldn't just walk up to a stranger, but that might be an option.

Just thought of another free method. Get a TRUSTED friend or family member to do it for you from home. You don't have to print the boarding passes ahead of time, just do that at the kiosk in the airport. Please note the word TRUSTED.

Our first flight on southwest we checked in at 24 hours and got an A spot. For the flight home we didn’t want to worry about check in so we did the early bird. Ended up with a high B. The moral of the story....fly Delta and pick your seat for free when you buy your ticket. I will never fly SW again. The find your own seat thing took forever. Snacks were a joke, 6 peanuts isn’t a snack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first flight on southwest we checked in at 24 hours and got an A spot. For the flight home we didn’t want to worry about check in so we did the early bird. Ended up with a high B. The moral of the story....fly Delta and pick your seat for free when you buy your ticket. I will never fly SW again. The find your own seat thing took forever. Snacks were a joke, 6 peanuts isn’t a snack.

We've always gotten "A" with Early Bird, but we also purchase several months in advance. They assign postions based on the order Early Bird is purchased. I find boarding on SW to be much quicker than other airlines.

?????????? You know what the solutions are . Why ask the question?????

Why ask why?

The OPs question does remind me one one flight we were B1 for boarding. The told B1-30 to line up and the couple that was B29 and B30 thought that meant anywhere. Deliberately stepped in front of us to be first. I shook it off and made a note for my review.

Early Bird all the way.

We just flew home from Houston-Hobby on Southwest and did not have Early Bird. Checked in on the app the second check-in was allowed and got A56 and A57 and considered ourselves lucky. To get A anything without Early Bird seems to be rare.

I agree 100%. Fly Delta (of course I'm a retired Delta Pilot). ;p

You can buy Early Bird check in for only one leg of your trip if you don't want to pay it for both.

Or you can go to the computer room and pay for the few moments it takes to check in. I prefer the EB method - worth the money for the ease.

A high B still means you get window or aisle choice. It's interesting that you think Southwest is awful and Delta economy is better. I've never, ever heard anyone suggest that before. Southwest is generally regarded as one of the best economy products in North America.

I'm sorry, but saving seats for people with higher numbers bugs me to no end.

On one flight we were on a woman was trying to save two whole rows. The others joined her in what was probably the high "B" or even "C" groups. It looked like one of the group paid the $15 and then proceeded to cheat. Yes, I said "cheat."

I agree 100%. Fly Delta (of course I'm a retired Delta Pilot). ;p

I don't understand the appeal of SW. They used to be super cheap, and you can still score a good fare now and then, but I always find Delta to be one of the cheapest airlines. They offer what I believe to be a superior product, and I don't have to bite my nails off wondering where i'm sitting and if i will be able to sit next to my wife.

I don't understand the appeal of SW. They used to be super cheap, and you can still score a good fare now and then, but I always find Delta to be one of the cheapest airlines. They offer what I believe to be a superior product, and I don't have to bite my nails off wondering where i'm sitting and if i will be able to sit next to my wife.

There are places where Delta is the same price, but in most cases it is a route that SW also flies. Add to that you have to pay for luggage on most other airlines, and it makes a difference.