Independence 12/07/2017 - A Quickie

Jarmo

Group of 9, including 4 kids ages 10 - 13. Early dining deck 4.

Our waiters in the MDR were absolutely fantastic. There were a couple of missed temps from the kitchen but the service itself was fantastic. MDR drink service which has been an issue was spot on as well. Drinks were never empty and never had to ask for one after the first night unless we wanted something different. The assistant waiter was handling the drinks as we have seen on past cruises, the difference being (according to a manager) they no longer make the drinks, they drop off orders and the drinks are made for them.

Menus:

Coconut

Mojo

Pimento

Pomodoro

Bar service was a little slow the first day prior to muster, mostly in the pool area. After that not an issue. Pop up bars and roving beer carts on the pool deck helped thin out the crowds. Had great service throughout the cruise at Dog and Badger, Pool Bar, Plaza Bar, Schooner, Labyrinth, and Olive or Twist.

On day 3 ,10 drinks for $85, 10 drafts for $49.

Ice show 'Strings' was great, was worried it wouldn't stack up to last year's show but it did. The talent of the skaters is remarkable. Needed tickets for all 3 shows, distributed outside Sorrento's day 1 right after muster. Thursday shows were at 8:30/10:30. Sunday's show was cancelled because of rough seas.

Didn't go to Grease but the rest of the crew did and gave it high marks.

Schooner Bar piano player is Amber Gartner, she was awesome. She played from 9:45 - 1. We spent a good portion of each evening there and the crowd was always large and involved (at Amber's request). She will be on board for another 5 weeks or so.

Trivia was well attended as always seems to be the case. We didn't win anything trivia wise but did win the Christmas themed scavenger hunt. Before anyone asks......key chain.

Labyrinth was jumpin' pretty much every night at some point. Night 3 was probably the busiest I have seen it. Downstairs bar was still full closing time (~3:30).

Will try to answer any questions.

Labyrinth was jumpin' pretty much every night at some point. Night 3 was probably the busiest I have seen it. Downstairs bar was still full closing time (~3:30).

What type of music is normally played in Labyrinth? From all outward appearances it looks like a goth club (actually kinda cool), but I figured that couldn't be what they played there. (I just can't see the average cruise audience boogying down to the dulcet tones of Sisters of Mercy or Bauhaus :D ).

I ask, because I've been on the Indy twice during a full-boat charter, and for us, the Labyrinth is used for autograph sessions and rock/metal karaoke 'til dawn...so I have no idea what happens there during a "regular" cruise. ;)

Glad I did some last minute review checking, I wouldn't have known I needed tickets for the ice show. Does the ticket specify a time or can you still choose which show to go to, you just need a generic ticket? How long did it take to get your tickets, with it being on the Promenade and right after muster?

Glad I did some last minute review checking, I wouldn't have known I needed tickets for the ice show. Does the ticket specify a time or can you still choose which show to go to, you just need a generic ticket? How long did it take to get your tickets, with it being on the Promenade and right after muster?

You get a ticket for a specific performance.

You get a ticket for a specific performance.

Yep, and all are available to be picked up at the same time. We were in line for about 30 seconds. There were 2 or 3 people handing out tickets. I don't know if there was a limit, but we (3 of us) picked up 9 for our group without issue.

You mentioned the Ice show, is it only one show for the entire cruise performed on different days and times? Or does the show change at all during the cruise thanks. In other words would we need tickets to only one show. Thanks

Same show, only one ticket required.

Tickets for the ice show hmm... None were needed when cruised on it earlier in the year.

It can vary sailing to sailing. Some ships don't use tickets and assign ice show performances by muster station.

Tickets for the ice show hmm... None were needed when cruised on it earlier in the year.

None needed last year either. And to clarify tickets aren't necessarily needed. You can get in line/show up 10 minutes before the show starts and they will let you in if there are empty seats.

Pellaz, I would call it top 40 pop w/ dance mixes. Also mixed in some of the more popular dance tracks of the past 25 years or so.

Thanks for the info. That's kinda what I was expecting, although nothin' says Top 40 Pop like ravens and medieval torch sconces on the walls. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you hear you had an overall good experience. I just have two quick questions. Was this the 4 night cruise to Cozumel? (Im doing the 4 night cruise to cozumel in March). Also for the 4 dinner themes listed was that the order they were in? I have to search for the menus online. I want to do a night at Chops but my friend would die if we missed the night they serve cherries jubilee! ha! She has a serious obsession with getting that on the cruises!

Glad you hear you had an overall good experience. I just have two quick questions. Was this the 4 night cruise to Cozumel? (Im doing the 4 night cruise to cozumel in March). Also for the 4 dinner themes listed was that the order they were in? I have to search for the menus online. I want to do a night at Chops but my friend would die if we missed the night they serve cherries jubilee! ha! She has a serious obsession with getting that on the cruises!

Menus:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-kit/7/

Thanks for the menus! Don't see coconut theme on there. Hopefully they replace it with Basil or my friend will cry over lack of cherries jubilee! Ha!

True. There are something like 14 different menus, and they only published about 6-7 of them.

Are these menus still what's being used? The reason I ask is that I read on them mention of a Wine & Dine package. That's no longer offered, is it?

No more fleetwide wine packages. However, once you get onboard, you may find the dining room offers some sort of wine package.