1st time cruise Pre cruise question.

OH1356

Me and my wife are going on our first cruise in January out of Miami. My question is we are leaving from Cincinnati and trying to decide if its best to take lower cost flight that flies into Ft. Lauderdale and then go to Miami. Or pay more for a flight straight to Miami? Which is more affordable compared to convenience?

If the savings are in the several hundred dollar range. You can use uber or SAS transport for about $15.00 each way pp. We are returning to Miami in Oct. and flying out of Fort Lauderdale as we fly jet blue and they are not in Miami. There are also very limited flight out of Miami to Lax that are nonstop.

You just need to do the math. As mentioned, transport between Ft Lauderdale and Miami and return will cost you $15-25pp, each way. Hotels (please fly in a day early) will be a little more expensive, generally, in Miami. Taxi to a close hotel in each will be close to a wash.

SAS is the most cost-effective way to go between those 2 cities. Cabs will cost about $98 for that trip. They aren't as close as they appear. Are you flying in the day prior? If so, figure out the difference in hotel costs for the night, too. If there turns out to be a big cost savings, fly into Ft. Laud. If the difference is negligible , then just fly into the port city, for convenience's sake!

We have done this before. We were on NCL which sails out of Miami, but Southwest had ridiculous prices into FLL at like $50pp per way so like $200 round trip. I couldn't pass that up. We did Uber down to the Miami hotel the night we got in for about $37.00 for the two of us.

The SAS shuttle or Uber are cost effective, cabs are not. Also, remember to get a hotel in Miami with a free transport shuttle to the port of Miami in the morning if you can. We normally stayed at the La Quinta Airport East. Not a great location, but we fly in later in the day so just need four walls, a ceiling, continental breakfast and a shuttle in the morning. Which this hotel has all four of the things we require. The shuttle leaves at 10, 11 and 12 on the weekends and 10 and 11 on weekdays when less ships are in port.

If you stay in Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise, there might be some hotels that offer a shuttle to POM for a fee as well. You just have to call around and see if they do. Also, not sure what that fee would be as we have not done this before.

Prefer cruising out of FLL to begin with but have gone out of MIA. It's a given, out of Columbus with Southwest, that going to FLL is ALWAYS less expensive than MIA. I've used SAS and Uber to get to MIA with no problems. Enjoy your cruise!