Did you learn things from a ship that was helpful in your job?

(My) Dutch culture is quite different from the US. For instance, only once in 15 years a customer asked to speak to a manager on our support desk which has more than 40 calls/day. I've never even heard someone in a restaurant or shop asking for a manager. On this site, people often recommend to simply send an email directly to the CEO to get things sorted.

Compared to my simple software company, a ship is a very different environment, where there's a very obvious ranking in personel, where problems may range from undelivered hors d'oeuvres to an AED that should have been available but wasn't.

But I've noticed that during meetings discussing the more difficult mails, complaints, requests, I sometimes think "what would a Hotel Director do". And then the really hard problem, where nobody in the meeting can come up with a technical solution, can suddenly be solved with a lot of saying sorry, flowers, and 20% of the licence paid back.

Are there more people who came back from a cruise and thought about new solutions for their daily work after seeing how a ship handled a problem?

No, I didn't see much parallel between my work and the ship. However, I was amazed at how the ship was run, how efficiently and effectively it functioned.

That exactly why I'd want my company to run like a ship by running it like a ship :D

The crew always doing more than expected, always with a smile, has to come from somewhere. Behind the scenes tours give you a glimpse. Showing points for everything on long lists (maybe 150 items). "Live music", "Outdoor Cleanliness", "Photo revenue", and the variance for each of those.

But also "Smile guests are on the other side of the door".

It gives you the impression of a huge machine, but at the same time it is precise enough so the galley takes orders for "10 cookies" for a kid's party.

That exactly why I'd want my company to run like a ship by running it like a ship :D

The crew always doing more than expected, always with a smile, has to come from somewhere. Behind the scenes tours give you a glimpse. Showing points for everything on long lists (maybe 150 items). "Live music", "Outdoor Cleanliness", "Photo revenue", and the variance for each of those.

But also "Smile guests are on the other side of the door".

It gives you the impression of a huge machine, but at the same time it is precise enough so the galley takes orders for "10 cookies" for a kid's party.

Ships are hierarchies including by rank, job category and race. They have a defined "who is in charge" that is not debatable unlike many companies.

(My) Dutch culture is quite different from the US. For instance, only once in 15 years a customer asked to speak to a manager on our support desk which has more than 40 calls/day. I've never even heard someone in a restaurant or shop asking for a manager. On this site, people often recommend to simply send an email directly to the CEO to get things sorted.

Compared to my simple software company, a ship is a very different environment, where there's a very obvious ranking in personel, where problems may range from undelivered hors d'oeuvres to an AED that should have been available but wasn't.

But I've noticed that during meetings discussing the more difficult mails, complaints, requests, I sometimes think "what would a Hotel Director do". And then the really hard problem, where nobody in the meeting can come up with a technical solution, can suddenly be solved with a lot of saying sorry, flowers, and 20% of the licence paid back.

Are there more people who came back from a cruise and thought about new solutions for their daily work after seeing how a ship handled a problem?

Having worked for 37 years for a world wide company who has its European headquarters in Holland, I have nothing but admiration for the work ethic off all the Dutch colleagues who I came in contact with. It is a completely different to what is experienced in many other countries in that they have a 'Can do, Will do' philosophy and even though the initial impression may be of coldness and distance, they do believe in getting their job done.

I also consider that 'the higher ups' in Dutch business, tend to give more decision making rights to lower levels (ie customer facing support agents) and the same customer facing support agents tend to take the view that 'higher up' are for more 'directional' decisions and not the day to day running of the company. So, decisions can and are made without referral 'up the chain'.

Yes. Be nice to the low man on the totem pole. They will bend over backward in an effort to meet your need and be recognized so they can move up.

Always acknowledge and report stellar service to the powers that be. It makes a difference.