Fort Lauderdale to Orlando - Best way?

freanesi

DH and I are traveling from Fort Lauderdale post cruise to Orlando. Never been to this part of the world. We have a day to do this. Any suggestions on the best way for sight seeing - rather than flying? We are thinking either the bus or the train - not interested in driving as it is the wrong side of the road for us! Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks.

Discussed all the time on the Florida Departures board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Driving is the common recommendation.

Driving is not that big a deal. We have been to Australia, New Zealand and the British Isles many times, and we have made the adjustment. You can do it as well.

Thanks Cruiser Bruce for your answer. Driving is not an option for us. I looked on the Florida board, but maybe I was looking in the wrong place as I couldn't find anything similar to my question. Maybe I need to re-word it. Not being from the area and having never been there, I was wondering if there is any interesting scenery to be had from a train or a bus window, and if so, what would be the better option. If there is nothing noteworthy to be seen, we may as well fly. Once again, thanks for you answer. I found lots of other helpful information.:)

On a cruise out of Florida, I spoke with a couple who had come from Orlando by a bus that specifically served the cruise port. Unfortunately, I did not take notes since we drive down. You may want to ask for that bus on the Florida Departure forum.

As to Amtrak trains, the only feasible one seems to leave at 8:50 am. In Central Florida, I happen to know three of the places. In Winter Park and Auburndale, the train tracks go right smack through downtown and the Amtrak station in Orlando is downtown as well which doesn't mean much in this sprawling city.

It's true that most of Florida is flat. The train goes through the "Highlands" (near Sebring), the ancient sand dunes when Florida was submerged in the ocean. At first, it goes through the coastal developments, then through the farm- and ranchlands until it reaches the "Highlands" and runs through one of the last large scrub preserves where endangered animals survive. Once you know a little bit about Florida's history, the scenery becomes interesting.

My last option would be the bus.

Not so fast

consider Red Coach

luxury bus service. They make Orlando to Ft Lauderdale in about 3 hours 20 min (station to station) with multiple departures daily.

Cost varies by time of day but for prime time around $60 per person - seats are reserved (highly recommended to book in advance)

seats resemble US first class air (large reclining with foot rests <not 'bed type>). Fare includes 2 checked bags and a carry on. WiFi and 110 outlets at seat https://www.redcoachusa.com/the-experience/ and at seat entertainment system

Orlando station is near the airport (MCO) as is the Ft Lauderdale station (which is very near the cruise port)

This sounds nicer than most of my AMTRAK experience which also have a bad reputation for being on time . . .

{prior post was typing as I was ....}

Edited by Capt_BJ