Eating in the Golden Lion Now in the Evening

ToadOfToadHall

My copy of the Cunarder has just been delivered by Postman Pat.

You can now eat in the Golden Lion on the QV in the evenings ($4 for starters, $8 for mains) between 6PM and 9PM.

So that, I would suggest, is the reason why the dress code has been removed from the pub.

You can now eat in the Golden Lion on the QV in the evenings ($4 for starters, $8 for mains) between 6PM and 9PM.

So that, I would suggest, is the reason why the dress code has been removed from the pub.

Next the "Casuals" will require to dine free in GL on formal nights, as they already paid for formal dining in Cruise price. Or possibly demand a refund.

A new can of worms methinks.

I don't have an issue with most of the menu choices listed so far:

"Garlic rope-grown Mussels, Sticky Sesame-crusted Norfolk Duckling Drumsticks, Mac and Cheese, Tandoori spiced Dorset Lamb Shank, 28-day Angus Beef Burger with pulled Brisket, Lobster Scampi, salt and pepper Squid, Sole Goujons, Scotch Eggs".

As this is in addition to the wide choices already available in the various main dining rooms, buffet, and extra-charge restaurants, this menu offers even further selection each evening, whether one is vegetarian or carnivore.

I have never eaten in the Pub of an evening as prefer the Dining Room. I certainly won't be eating there now if I have to pay. Have already paid for an evening meal. Rant over😀😀😀

I have never eaten in the Pub of an evening as prefer the Dining Room. I certainly won't be eating there now if I have to pay. Have already paid for an evening meal. Rant over😀😀😀

Quite right Luv, and knowing you, you'd be far too overdressed ( after 6pm) for the Pub. ;) ...like you, I don't pay thousands of pounds for a single supplement to snack in the evenings in a Pub. I can nip next-door to my local to do that when I can't be bothered to cook in the evenings ........Jeans and all.

Normally we wouldn't take this up, but next year, the second half of our Hong Kong to Southampton trip is in Britannia, and while the restaurant itself doesn't especially bother us, having to dine at an appointed time - early or late - definitely does. So I can imagine, if we don’t get our waitlisted cabin, we will take advantage of the evening menu in the GL, as well as the various alternative dining choices in the KC.

I didn't,I was in there drinking at 7.30 and saw the menu.Your vague comment meaning what?

My question was purely asking for facts as you state dinner was free in the pub yet the start of this thread was giving the cost of starters and mains at dinner time.

Next the "Casuals" will require to dine free in GL on formal nights, as they already paid for formal dining in Cruise price. Or possibly demand a refund.

A new can of worms methinks.

Miscreant Lemmings will enjoy a can of worms for supper lets hope it's on the menu.

Paying for dinner in the Golden Lion is no different to paying in any of the alternative dining options. As I have already paid for dinner I only eat in my appointed restaurant on principle.

As long as they dont extend this to the other alternative venue namely the Lido?

Reading these dress issue threads with interest. I've never sailed on the QM2, would like to but I don't do dresses. I had a scary incident with a long skirt, fortunately there were 2 big guys on the stairway ahead of me, they caught me. I wear a dressy pants suit, or my sparkly tops, I know these aren't formal as I've done the formal routine.

I've been cruising 35 years. I've worn long dresses, now I try to fit everything in my 26" suitcase. Princess is my go to cruise line. I just returned from a 30 day So. America cruise with 1 suitcase.

Sorry for long story, I am looking at the Nov. 3, 2019 TA on QM2. Sailing single, I would not like paying for an evening meal because I'm not dressed properly. When you pay extra to sail single, it should include food.

I saw the other thread about the change in dress code, but I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

Reading these dress issue threads with interest. I've never sailed on the QM2, would like to but I don't do dresses. I had a scary incident with a long skirt, fortunately there were 2 big guys on the stairway ahead of me, they caught me. I wear a dressy pants suit, or my sparkly tops, I know these aren't formal as I've done the formal routine.

I've been cruising 35 years. I've worn long dresses, now I try to fit everything in my 26" suitcase. Princess is my go to cruise line. I just returned from a 30 day So. America cruise with 1 suitcase.

Sorry for long story, I am looking at the Nov. 3, 2019 TA on QM2. Sailing single, I would not like paying for an evening meal because I'm not dressed properly. When you pay extra to sail single, it should include food.

I saw the other thread about the change in dress code, but I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

There is always Kings Court Buffet, having no cover charge. Simples.

There is absolutely no reason you can't wear a sparkly top and silky trousers. It's the men's apparel that is the most restrictive on formal nights.

Kings Grill is dire -- been there, done that.