Cruise for Family of 6

nzhorsey

Hi there

Very new to the whole idea of a Cruise but I’ve been scouring the internet for the last couple of hours and can’t find out how to book a large family cabin for 6. I realise that most cabins are only 4 berths but it seems like there are other options for 6 berth cabins???

Anyway, we are a family of 6, 2 adults and 4 children (12,10,8,5). Departing Sydney, keen for the South Pacific, 6-10 nights, obviously need a family friendly cruise.

Where do I start?

What Cruise Lines have large Family (sleeps 6) cabins?

What would a great price be per night?

Any other advice or insights would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks!

There are a limited number of cabins with e.g. RCL and Celebrity, but they're not common so can be both hard to get, and very pricey.

Mostly because of the bathroom issue, as well as economics, you're better off looking for 2 cabins with 4 and 2, or 3 and 3 beside each other. Some cabins also interconnect though that's not as big a deal. Also on some ships you can even open balconies between them (if you're looking at a balcony cabin).

Going that way will give you many more choices of cruises, make booking easier (as you can just do it online), likely be cheaper, and likely give you an extra bathroom.

HI,

Welcome to cruise critic. I took my extended family of 6 on our first cruise a few years ago and booked an interconnecting balcony cabin on Carnival Spirit, and it was great, no fighting over bathroom space, we also had the connector opened up between the balconies.

We looked at booking the family suite with Royal carribbean, but at an extra $500 per person felt the money was better spent elsewhere.

We loved our first cruise and have become cruise addicts.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers maree

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on the kids (and adults). Does anyone like to spend hours in the bathroom? Then get 2 interconnecting cabins. Are the kids the type who will get into mischief? (leave the room in the middle of the night, climb on the balcony furniture, sleep through a little sibling exiting the room), then get one big cabin.

I did several cruises when my kids were about the age of yours. I have 3 kids, but just one parent. I tried the interconnecting cabin set up once and didn't like it because I was always checking on the boys' room. The boys were 12 and 2. I tried non-connecting, but adjacent rooms, when the kids were older and the 5 year old locked himself out of his room in the early am when he tried to come find me. After that, I always got one cabin for the 4 of us. I much preferred Royal Caribbean's family oceanview which has 2 bedrooms and one large living area. You have to call the cruise line to book any cabins that sleep 6.

What Cruise Lines have large Family (sleeps 6) cabins?

What would a great price be per night?

Any other advice or insights would be greatly appreciated:)

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/articles.cfm?ID=259

Most family cabins are suites and as such are rather expensive. Although it is entirely possible for them to cost less than two balcony cabins.

The best way to get a family cabin is to call the cruise line and ask about them. They are rarely discounted and can be hard to find on-line.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is Princess that has a Family Cabin set up which consists of a 'suite' which has a double bedroom and it's own bathroom plus a linked twin room with it's own bathroom and a sitting room which has a sofa bed that can accommodate 2 people. This can only be booked directly with Princess - not available for on-line booking but comes with suite benefits. One issue is that it is a forward cabin and the balcony is virtually unusable when the ship is travelling but it offers tremendous value as a package for 4 and above. It may suit you as a family if the balcony is not an issue. Check the deck plans to see if one is available for the sailing you are interested in, and if so, contact Princess directly.

Put in 'two bedroom family suite' into the search facility on Princess.

The twin room can accommodate 4 people, two in twin beds and two in upper beds, so in theory the suite can hold 8 people on some ships - saves people sleeping in the sitting room.

• 5 weeks later...