Deceptive Advertising by Royal Carribean

My wife and I booked the Visions of the Sea for a Jan 2019 cruise to the Bahamas. Specifical to see the highly advertised Coco Cay by RC. We paid for the whole trip and then a month later RC substituted Miami for our beach day at Coco Cay. We tried to change dates and they refused. The RC agents kept telling us about the great day we would have in Miami. I didn't pay for a cruise to Miami. I feel like it is false advertising and deceptive too. I have been on cruises where they can't stop somewhere due to weather of other problems but we are 4 months away from this cruise and they change itineraries after the boat is almost full. We cancelled the cuise and they are keeping $800 dollars. They say they will give us back $300 on our next booking. That will never happen! And I hear they cancelled on several other boats. Some smart lawyer is going to look at deceptive trade practises and get a class action suit going on this one. Someone at Royal Carribean was aware of the changes to Coco Cay. I hope RC feels the same pain my wife and I are feeling. This was supose to be our honeymoom cruise.

My wife and I booked the Visions of the Sea for a Jan 2019 cruise to the Bahamas. Specifical to see the highly advertised Coco Cay by RC. We paid for the whole trip and then a month later RC substituted Miami for our beach day at Coco Cay. We tried to change dates and they refused. The RC agents kept telling us about the great day we would have in Miami. I didn't pay for a cruise to Miami. I feel like it is false advertising and deceptive too. I have been on cruises where they can't stop somewhere due to weather of other problems but we are 4 months away from this cruise and they change itineraries after the boat is almost full. We cancelled the cuise and they are keeping $800 dollars. They say they will give us back $300 on our next booking. That will never happen! And I hear they cancelled on several other boats. Some smart lawyer is going to look at deceptive trade practises and get a class action suit going on this one. Someone at Royal Carribean was aware of the changes to Coco Cay. I hope RC feels the same pain my wife and I are feeling. This was supose to be our honeymoom cruise.

If you read your cruise contract, the cruise line has the right to change your itinerary. Having said that, I would prefer Coco Cay to a port stop in Miami any day. Coco Cay is being canceled on many itineraries due to construction.

They can change the itinerary by the contract but I feel they were deceptive in the advertising of this cruise and several of the cruises in that time frame. I asked them twice to move the cruise date and they said no. I promised my wife we would go to the Bahamas for our honeymoon and so I cancelled the trip so I can take her where she wants to go. I spent three days on the phone with them and the legal department. I asked if I could fly to the Bahamas when we stopping in Miami and they said no I could not get back on the boat. They made no effort to help us.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. As has been mentioned previously, had you bothered to read your cruise contract, you would see that the cruise line is perfectly within its rights to change itinerary for any reason. In this case it is due to construction on Cocoa Cay. And, yes, it likely having your cruise so far away gives you more time to stew over the issue of missing CC than if it were missed due to weather with you being notified the day before, it’s still the same scenario. Seems you also booked with a non refundable deposit. You knew the terms of that before you booked. Hope you can manage to take things in stride and enjoy your honeymoon.

My wife and I booked the Visions of the Sea for a Jan 2019 cruise to the Bahamas. Specifical to see the highly advertised Coco Cay by RC. We paid for the whole trip and then a month later RC substituted Miami for our beach day at Coco Cay. We tried to change dates and they refused. The RC agents kept telling us about the great day we would have in Miami. I didn't pay for a cruise to Miami. I feel like it is false advertising and deceptive too. I have been on cruises where they can't stop somewhere due to weather of other problems but we are 4 months away from this cruise and they change itineraries after the boat is almost full. We cancelled the cuise and they are keeping $800 dollar .

I assume you booked nonrefundable on Vision leaving Jan 5/2019. Forfeitable minimum deposit penalty is only $500. How did you end up losing $800? Something doesn't jive.

Welcome to Cruise Critic:D:D.

It's unfortunate and frustrating. It is not "deceptive advertising". I understand if visiting the Bahamas was a bucket list item of sorts, but coco cay is really just another day at another beach. I too would be unhappy with Miami as a port stop, but changes in itin's are a risk of cruising.

It's unfortunate and frustrating. It is not "deceptive advertising". I understand if visiting the Bahamas was a bucket list item of sorts, but coco cay is really just another day at another beach. I too would be unhappy with Miami as a port stop, but changes in itin's are a risk of cruising.

Point taken and you are right. But seriously, if I wanted to cruise to Miami, I'd cruise down in my car or choose that port as the port of origin.

Sorry this happened to your cruise, and was so upsetting for you. If this type occurrence is going to be upsetting, cruises probably not a good idea for you.

If a lawyer takes this on, it won't be a smart one. The cruise ticket specifically addresses this situation, and also includes a Class Action Waiver. You would first have to get around that, and yes it has help up before,in a lot stronger cases than this.

As others have said, the actual ports of call are always subject to change. It's unfortunate (and I would be majorly upset with this itinerary change myself) but it isn't false advertising or deceptive practices. They were expecting construction at Coco Cay to be done, and it won't be so they had to make changes.

One thing that really doesn't make sense is how much you said you are losing. If you booked a non-refundable deposit, you will only lose $100 per person, if you booked refundable you can change without losing any money. This is one of the main reasons we always book the refundable deposit; just to be safe.

Finally, you mentioned you spoke with the legal department. That should always always always be a last resort. Elliot and many other consumer advocates say it all the time, the moment you mention lawyers the cruise line or whatever company you are dealing with can no longer do anything for you. The moment the word lawyer comes up it switches from customer service/retention to defense and legal. At that point everything is done exactly by the letter in your cruise contract with no hope of an alternative solution.

Since you are long before final payment date, the most that they should have kept was $100 each, or $200, with $150 each, or $300 in FCC (future cruise credit) and the rest - $300 refunded to your credit card. (in order to add up to $800, which I assume is what you had paid them to date)

Your numbers are not making sense to me. Can you post again and explain?

(and the cruise still goes to Key West! Key West is an awesome place to spend the day.)

I assume you booked nonrefundable on Vision leaving Jan 5/2019. Forfeitable minimum deposit penalty is only $500. How did you end up losing $800? Something doesn't jive.

I was under the impression that the penalty is $100 per person and the balance as a credit towards a future cruise.

Is it a suite?

I don't see it as deceptive advertising but Royal should make passengers whole by refunding their fare if they want to cancel. Yes, they have the right to make changes but this is completely different since it's 100% in their control.

I was under the impression that the penalty is $100 per person and the balance as a credit towards a future cruise.

Is it a suite?

Yes, you are correct. But on a cash basis, you are out $500 since FCC is a use-it-or-lose-it time limit credit on account and won't be refunded in cash.

Yes, you are correct. But on a cash basis, you are out $500 since FCC is a use-it-or-lose-it time limit credit on account and won't be refunded in cash.

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to give up the $100 PP, book a different cruise using the FCC? Sounds better than losing $800.

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to give up the $100 PP, book a different cruise using the FCC? Sounds better than losing $800.

To the rest of us, yes. But OP is so mad he refuses to cruise with RCCL again. Hopefully he will reconsider once he calms down a bit.

• Like 1

Since you are long before final payment date, the most that they should have kept was $100 each, or $200, with $150 each, or $300 in FCC (future cruise credit) and the rest - $300 refunded to your credit card. (in order to add up to $800, which I assume is what you had paid them to date)

Your numbers are not making sense to me. Can you post again and explain?

(and the cruise still goes to Key West! Key West is an awesome place to spend the day.)

Sounds like a deceptive thread title. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure if you look they will say that they can change ports as part of your contract. I am pretty surprised they would not do anything for you, I assume you booked direct with Royal?

If you read your cruise contract, the cruise line has the right to change your itinerary. Having said that, I would prefer Coco Cay to a port stop in Miami any day. Coco Cay is being canceled on many itineraries due to construction.

Regardless of cruise contract, Royal could just do the right thing and let folks cancel without penalty for these sailings.