Clearwater Beach

Jember

I was there last week.

We were a group of 14 people, so I had pre-arranged before leaving on our cruise with a minibus driver to bring us there. It's about a 50-60 minute ride from the Dockyard. We told the driver what time we wanted to return and he picked us up and brought us back. Other options are bus, which I wouldn't recommend because it will take forever, or the ferry to St. George and then cab/bus from there. But overall I believe that would be longer as well.

Clearwater has a restaurant(burgers, fried foods), a bar, wifi and bathrooms. They also now rent things like paddleboats and such, which is new from when I was last there in 2015.

Turtle Bay tends to be less crowded then Clearwater (which isn't really crowded to start with), but camp groups tend to go to Clearwater, I assume because it's closer to the bathrooms. You can also walk to Cooper's Island Nature Preserve, and the beaches there have absolutely nobody on them.

Lifeguards are on duty at Clearwater and Turtle Bay, although the water is really calm that you don't need them.

At Turtle Bay I did spot and swim with as sea turtle, which was definitely a highlight of the day there.

In contacting the Visitor Center in St. George and the owner of the Gombey’s Beach Bar its a nice area with amenities (chairs, SUP, kayaks). This issue I keep running into is it is apparently from their comment very hard to get a taxi to come back and get you from the beach to St. George’s; and the bus has limited service from St. George’s to Clearwater (see Route #6 via Clearwater). I guess the option is pre-arrange a return with your taxi or use the bus as back up ensuring you have enough time to make the last ferry for the day from St. George’s to the dockyard. I understand the bus to the beach from St. George’s take about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think it will be difficult to find a driver to arrange pickup for a ride back.

Personally, I think the easiest way there is a car straight from the dockyard. The ferry to St. George alone is 45 minutes, plus additional time of finding a ride and the transport time from St. George to Clearwater. A car direct from the dockyard is an hour. So you're really not saving any time by doing ferry to car or bus.

Honestly, it's a big fare for the driver, after the drop off they can hang around St. George and the east end and pick up fares there, then return to get you for the pickup and return to the dockyard.

Instead of having to hustle for fares all day, they are guaranteed two large fares that day. There are many drivers who will have no problem (and even prefer) doing that. Our minibus driver was extremely happy that he had prearranged transport lined up while we were there.

In contacting the Visitor Center in St. George and the owner of the Gombey’s Beach Bar its a nice area with amenities (chairs, SUP, kayaks). This issue I keep running into is it is apparently from their comment very hard to get a taxi to come back and get you from the beach to St. George’s; and the bus has limited service from St. George’s to Clearwater (see Route #6 via Clearwater). I guess the option is pre-arrange a return with your taxi or use the bus as back up ensuring you have enough time to make the last ferry for the day from St. George’s to the dockyard. I understand the bus to the beach from St. George’s take about an hour.

The bus schedule has the Route #6 travel time for St George's <> St David's as 25 minutes.

SBTS

I started a thread on 8/15/18 - We will be taking the ferry from the dockyard to St. George. From St. George, what is the best way to Clearwater - Turtle? Is there a bus? Will there be taxis? What is the best way to get back to St. George to get the ferry from the Clearwater area?

I got one reply -There is a bus that usually runs 45 minutes after the hour but better check on this. Also, be sure and take the bus that says to St David's by way of Clearwater Beach. You can always take a cab. It shouldn't be very expensive from St George...maybe $15 plus tip.

We like to take the ferry to St. George and get the 15-ticket book at the SG post office. We use the tickets for the rest of our stay in Bermuda. Any extra tickets we save for the next cruise to Bermuda. Tickets do not expire.

Does anyone know how much a taxi would be from SG to Clearwater recently?

• 2 weeks later...

SBTS, do you have any idea what the taxi fare is (we are 2 people) from the Dockyard all the way to Clearwater Beach?

We are arriving too late in October for the ferry from the Dockyard to St. George, so right now I'm thinking Blue Line ferry to Hamilton, bus to St. George, taxi to Clearwater. If my calculations are correct, then the one-way trip would be 25 minutes (and around $10 for 2 fares on the ferry), an hour for the bus (and another $10 for 2 fares), and another 10 minutes for the taxi (and about a $20 fare). If a taxi (or mini-bus) is around $40 one way, then the time savings might be worth it. Your thoughts?

Also, on an unrelated note, are you by chance a boater than posts on another forum related to that activity under the same name?

It's 25 miles from the dockyard to clearwater.

Taxi rates are $7.90 for the first mile and $2.75 each additional.

So your metered fare is going to be around $75. Add tip. 15% is customary. On Sunday or holidays add an additional 25% surcharge.

The cab is an hour vs close to two using ferry/bus/taxi.

Only you can determine the value of your time vs. money.

• Like 1

Just returned yesterday. We loved Clearwater Beach!! We took the NCL free ferry to St. George's on Monday. Once off the ferry there were a number of minibuses and taxi's available. we took the minibus for $7pp one way. Clearwater was about 15 minutes away. Rented two lounge chairs and umbrella for $35. the beach was not crowded at all. There is a beach bar, bathrooms and you can rent things such as snorkel gear, kayaks etc.Saw a ton of turtles in the water! We took taxi back to St. George and then the free ferry back to Dockyard.

SBTS, do you have any idea what the taxi fare is (we are 2 people) from the Dockyard all the way to Clearwater Beach?

We are arriving too late in October for the ferry from the Dockyard to St. George, so right now I'm thinking Blue Line ferry to Hamilton, bus to St. George, taxi to Clearwater. If my calculations are correct, then the one-way trip would be 25 minutes (and around $10 for 2 fares on the ferry), an hour for the bus (and another $10 for 2 fares), and another 10 minutes for the taxi (and about a $20 fare). If a taxi (or mini-bus) is around $40 one way, then the time savings might be worth it. Your thoughts?

Up to you but I would not do Clearwater from the Dockyard when the ferry is not running. It is on the other end of Bermuda. Too time consuming and expensive. Also keep in mind that you being there so late in the year makes return transportation to the Dockyard could be more difficult. Also that late in the year might not be the best beach weather. Water temps drop then and air temp will be in the mid 70's. Might be okay if you are from New England.

• 2 weeks later...

After our journey last week, Clearwater Beach is super easy to get to from St. George’s. The #6 bus (via Clearwater) was timely and clearly marked. It picked up on the hour from the bus stop at the beach and takes about 20-25 minutes to get To and from St. George’s.

The beach has a bar (food counter and drinks), and clean restrooms with outdoor showers. A private individual and Gombeys Bar rents umbrellas, chairs and loungers for $45 (2 chairs and umbrella). The beach is spectacular, the water is calm and shallow and it is mostly locals. A short walk from the beach is Coopers Island Reserve which is more secluded (no amenities).

You can also watch some spectacular take offs from the airport.

I hope this helps everyone make their plans to and from Clearwater Beach. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just returned yesterday. We loved Clearwater Beach!! We took the NCL free ferry to St. George's on Monday. Once off the ferry there were a number of minibuses and taxi's available. we took the minibus for $7pp one way. Clearwater was about 15 minutes away. Rented two lounge chairs and umbrella for $35. the beach was not crowded at all. There is a beach bar, bathrooms and you can rent things such as snorkel gear, kayaks etc.Saw a ton of turtles in the water! We took taxi back to St. George and then the free ferry back to Dockyard.

Were you able to view airplanes landing or arriving at the airport from Clearwater Beach? The last time I was there, it was a perfect spot for plane watching.

• 4 months later...

Hi All!

Considering venturing out to Clearwater with my mom who has some mobility issues.  

How is the walk onto the beach? Wondering if it is steep or gently sloping.  Also wondering if the rental chairs are low to the ground chairs or are they loungers? Thank you!

9 hours ago, kruiserkatie said:

Hi All!

Considering venturing out to Clearwater with my mom who has some mobility issues.  

How is the walk onto the beach? Wondering if it is steep or gently sloping.  Also wondering if the rental chairs are low to the ground chairs or are they loungers? Thank you!

There are loads of Clearwater Beach photos online, in addition to google street view of the area. I'd recommend looking at that to determine how easy (or difficult) it would be for your mom to get around there. It's generally sloping, but you do have to walk (a short bit) from the road/drop off area to the sand, and I'm not sure if distance is any concern as terrain is.

As far as chairs, I think they have a variety, but we didn't rent chairs so I didn't pay a lot of attention to them. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that part.

• 2 months later...

Just saw this thread and considering this beach in June - someone mentioned it wouldn’t be a good idea from the dockyard, but last year we did a tour of the island that included St. George’s and we got back in time.  Is it really unreasonable to consider spending a few hours at this beach with just one day in Bermuda, and would the taxi fare to and from the dockyard be under $100.00 one way for a group of five?  Thank you!

4 hours ago, Wombservice said:

Just saw this thread and considering this beach in June - someone mentioned it wouldn’t be a good idea from the dockyard, but last year we did a tour of the island that included St. George’s and we got back in time.  Is it really unreasonable to consider spending a few hours at this beach with just one day in Bermuda, and would the taxi fare to and from the dockyard be under $100.00 one way for a group of five?  Thank you!

The one way taxi fare for 5-7 passengers Mon -Sat would be at least $100 plus tip, so figure on close to $250 all in round trip.

JMO, but I think this is a gross misuse of time (one hour or more drive in each direction) and money on a one day port stop. 

Edited by njhorseman