Hurricane Florence

KI Cruiser

I'm booked to leave for Bermuda out of Baltimore this Sunday the 9th and so is a category 3 hurricane! Looks like Florence is due to hit Bermuda head on around Wednesday...same day we are scheduled to arrive in Bermuda. I hope for our sake and Bermuda and its residents that it doesn't happen, but if it does...

I've taken a lot of cruises in hurricane season, but luckily never one at the same time. What happens in this circumstance? Will Carnival decide to cancel? Change itineraries...by Friday? Saturday? Anyone with experience with this type of situation?

I'm booked to leave for Bermuda out of Baltimore this Sunday the 9th and so is a category 3 hurricane! Looks like Florence is due to hit Bermuda head on around Wednesday...same day we are scheduled to arrive in Bermuda. I hope for our sake and Bermuda and its residents that it doesn't happen, but if it does...

I've taken a lot of cruises in hurricane season, but luckily never one at the same time. What happens in this circumstance? Will Carnival decide to cancel? Change itineraries...by Friday? Saturday? Anyone with experience with this type of situation?

Too early to predict where Florence will be next Wednesday. If the hurricane does affect your cruise it is unlikely they will cancel, they usually will change itineraries. If they change the itinerary you would probably do the Bahamas given that Florence is tracking northeast. My experience is that they usually won't tell you of any change until the last minute. Often when you are boarding the ship.

Edited by Charles4515

Too early to predict where Florence will be next Wednesday. If the hurricane does affect your cruise it is unlikely they will cancel, they usually will change itineraries. If they change the itinerary you would probably do the Bahamas given that Florence is tracking northeast. My experience is that they usually won't tell you of any change until the last minute. Often when you are boarding the ship.
Pretty much. If you have insurance to cancel for any reason you might want to look into it. But then again Mother Nature is unpredictable. We sailed out a few years ago in the remnants of Hurricane Matthew and the Capt even thought our days in Bermuda would be less than ideal. Turned out we never saw a cloud the whole time we were there. And a week later Hurricane Nicole hit Bermuda head on. We definitely dodged a bullet. Good luck!

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

My very first cruise we sailed into a hurricane, or at least, the edge of one. So instead of Western Caribbean, the itinerary changed while we were on board, and we got Eastern Caribbean. I didn't know enough to be scared. And I didn't care where in the Caribbean we went.

There have been instances where Bermuda cruises have been re-routed to New England, which is quite a change in itinerary. But the previous posters are right, you won't know until you know.....

Hope it works out for you!

We have a cruise from Boston to Bermuda in a few weeks. Anyone know where they would even change the itinerary to if a hurricane came? Caribbean is likely to far from Boston. Would it be a cruise to New England even though leaving from New England?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you'd be in the storms path, you'll most likely go somewhere else. Twice now, different friends were sailing to Bermuda this time of year and the hurricane forced them to change itinerary. They didn't find out until they boarded the ship. One went to Nassau, one went to Canada/New England. Both were sailing out of NY or NJ.

2016 We were to cruise to Bahamas but there was a hurricane. Carnival sent an email a day or two before sailing. Itinerary was changed to Canada. Everyone had a choice to cancel with full refund or go to Canada. We went to Canada and received $100 obc each. And 25% off our next cruise. Pretty good deal and we had never been to Canada. Now with Bermuda, sailing Sunday from Baltimore also, we are so excited because of the great things we have heard about Bermuda. But if they cant go, just have to go with a flow. No matter, it's always great to be on a cruise ship!

On then same ship, following this thread. I’m happy as long as we wind up on a beach...and I wouldn’t mind Half Moon Cay.

You mean Grand Stirrup Cay. I dislike Nassau but I would do Blue Lagoon. Unfortunately neither is as good as Bermuda. It seems like NCL pulled the trigger early though. Florence could affect the new itinerary. Interesting to see how it works out. This all reminds me why I don’t book September and October anymore.

NCL Dawn is doing New England/Canada instead of Bermuda. I think that makes more sense than Bahamas. Of course leaving from Boston has something to do with it but ships returning from the Bahamas to New York may run into Florence.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean have not announced any changes yet.

I know I'm maybe a little different but I really don't care where I go. The ship to me is the destination, that's the relaxing fun part of a cruise. I have Anthem booked for late September next year to Bermuda but I would be just as happy going to New England, especially if it means staying out of really bad seas.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pretty much. If you have insurance to cancel for any reason you might want to look into it. But then again Mother Nature is unpredictable. We sailed out a few years ago in the remnants of Hurricane Matthew and the Capt even thought our days in Bermuda would be less than ideal. Turned out we never saw a cloud the whole time we were there. And a week later Hurricane Nicole hit Bermuda head on. We definitely dodged a bullet. Good luck!

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

i was there on the breakaway immediately after nicole in 16 and that was my 1st cruise ever. 99.1% of the island i saw looked untouched to me. or they really cleaned it up quick:)

i think they are really prepared there and recover quickly. i wouldnt mind being trapped in bermuda for my 3 days

The projected track is sinking further and further south, so I think everyone will end up in Bermuda as originally scheduled. EM
Really, I haven't been paying attention that closely. Are they still thinking it's gonna head up the East Coast?

Really, I haven't been paying attention that closely. Are they still thinking it's gonna head up the East Coast?

As of this morning, Bermuda looks to be a better destination than the Bahamas

204611_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png