Red Hook to Manhattan Ferry Question

Marronnier

I've booked at Transatlantic round trip (Southampton - NY - Southampton) for November 2019. The Red Hook to Wall StPier Ferry looks like an ideal way for us to make the most of our short time inNew York; but I have two questions :-

1) What is the earliestfeasible ferry to catch from Red Hook taking into account thedisembarkation time and the time to clear immigration. On the weekendthere is a ferry departing Red Hook at 7:32, would this be 'doable' ? Or wouldthe next one at 8:17 be more practical?

2) Is there sufficient capacityon the ferry to accommodate all those passengers from the QM2 wishing to usethe service (either at 7:32 or 8:17) or is there a likelihood that that we mayhave to wait for the next scheduled ferry?

Thanks in advance for anyinformation that you can offer.

If you are "in transit", you will be able to use the MIDDLE line at immigration, although US citizens still get priority.

We did it a couple of weeks ago, but left the ship after 9:00am and took about 10 mins to clear immigration.

The ferries can probably hold a couple of hundred people, so there should be no problem whatsoever. Remember, most passengers use taxis or buses or get picked up. I did not see any luggage cases on the ferry.

There is a ticket machine on the pontoon and I think the cost was $2.70 or thereabouts. It takes notes, coins and cards.

1) What is the earliestfeasible ferry to catch from Red Hook taking into account thedisembarkation time and the time to clear immigration. On the weekendthere is a ferry departing Red Hook at 7:32, would this be 'doable' ? Or wouldthe next one at 8:17 be more practical?

You don’t have to choose a time when you purchase a ticket, as you will purchase a general admission ticket. If you purchase your ticket on the NYC Ferry app, which is actually pretty swell, you’ll ‘activate’ your ticket on your device just before you show it to the ticket-taker upon embarking the ferry. The ticket will remain active and reusable for a full 90 minutes after activation.

Hope you have a wonderful journey.

We stayed near Penn Station both coming and going from our World Cruise QM2 earlier this year. We rode subway from Penn Station to South Ferry (both stations with elevators to accommodate our smaller rolling bags{rest shipped}], then walked around to the Wall Street Ferry Station. Reverse coming back. No hassle with taxis etc. A ferry was waiting after we breezed through customs on our return, but I was able to quickly buy tickets (they say they will sell them on board if you don’t get them.) Lots of room in the front two facing rows of seats for prams and babies and luggage.

It was a little warmer walk around the tip of Manhattan on our return in May.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll aim for 8:17 ferry but if we're off the QM2 early perhaps the earlier one. Thanks again

I wouldnt worry about it too much or plan too much because there is no guarantee that the times will be the same and the times have recently changed for this year from there Summer programme to winter programme.