You Know Your Cruising When...

kjloga01

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the three blasts from the ships whistle signalling that your ship is departing the harbor. To me the haunting sound of a ships whistle echoing through a seaport as your ship starts making way brings into focus the entire experience of being at sea, both past and present. Having sailed all my life that sound says it all. It's a very emotional moment if you're a sailor. As the echo of those whistle blats fades it's now clear that, once again, my ocean adventure has really begun.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Starts when I first see the ship.
Crescendo - The ding of the security system on reading our card,
Crescendo - A little lunch in the Lido - awaiting the Room Ready
Crescendo - Stepping onto the balcony
Crescendo - Putting the wallet in the safe & unpacking the bags
Final  - Watching us pull away from the dock…

Really missing the cancelled cruises already - 
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me it's walking up the gangway.

I was a single guy for my first cruise and had my three kids with me.  The check-in was packed, chaotic, and took forever.  When it was my turn the agent said there was a problem with my reservation and basically disappeared for about a half hour (literally).  When the agent returned with a supervisor I started to panic a bit, thinking I screwed up something bigly and we weren't going anywhere but home.   And by panic a bit I mean I was fully freaking!  As it turns out one of our cabins was handicapped accessible and they needed to switch us out with another cabin - but since I had the kids they had to be contiguous (not an easy task).  At that point I could only hope they found a way to get us onboard.

In the end we got HUGELY upgraded cabins - but I was still in mild panic mode, wondering what else might go wrong.  The panic continued until the business end of the cruise was over, we were walking up the gangway, and I was sure we were going after all.  I still think about that during check-in each cruise and tense up just a little.

So for me it's walking up the gangway.

Edited by OhioCruiseNuts
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

My last cruise was western Mediterranean on the Norwegian Epic, October 20, 2019.  In the middle of August I picked up a virus that didn't want to go away.  It was getting so close to cruise time that I was checking what my travel insurance covered.  I was thinking we'd have to postpone until spring of 2020, and I don't need to tell anyone what's wrong with that.  Fortunately, I recovered by the very end of September.  But then my bride slipped and fell hard in the kitchen, she thought she had broken something and we wouldn't be able to go on the cruise.  Fortunately again, all that was hurt was her pride.  We flew to Barcelona the day before the cruise and there were protests going on, something about Catalonian independence, and our hotel was right in the middle of it.  We got to our hotel and stayed there until the shuttle bus took us to the ship.  The hotel with the transfer were booked through the cruise line, so it was full of passengers on the Epic.  It was supposed to leave at noon, the driver somehow got everyone on board and on the way at 11:45.  So for that cruise, I knew on was on it only when I sat down with a nice hamburger in O'Sheehans!  See my picture, going "Yay!  We made it!"

DSC06922.JPG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Also when we step our feet off the gangway in the ship's lobby, we feel like we are Home Again.

Seriously, for me, particularly embarking a very favorite ship on which I sailed previously, i.e. Rotterdam V, Volendam, Zaandam, the original Royal Princess, the "I am home again" thought occurs.  

All of my pre-cruise concerns/worries disappear.  Stepping aboard the ship is almost an immediate mental refreshment for me.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Seriously, for me, particularly embarking a very favorite ship on which I sailed previously, i.e. Rotterdam V, Volendam, Zaandam, the original Royal Princess, the "I am home again" thought occurs.  

All of my pre-cruise concerns/worries disappear.  Stepping aboard the ship is almost an immediate mental refreshment for me.  

The Rotterdam V was a lovely ship.

I agree.... such a wonderful feeling to step aboard and feel that you are "home."

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Its a slightly phased approach for me. 

The first "realization" that I'm cruising again is as we're driving to the port and the ship is in sight. Phase 1 of getting excited lol

Then once check in is complete and now we're sitting in the terminal waiting to board, followed by actually boarding the ship. Its always exciting walking across the gangway and into the atrium, getting to see the ship decor and everything is great, but the real "we're actually cruising" moment happens when we get to the buffet. Now we've gotten the first drink of the cruise, finding some food, and now not looking at the ship, but looking back at the terminal and city. That is the moment of "we're actually cruising"

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm still in slight anxiety mode when our cab/uber pulls into port. Then there is the mix of excitement and annoyance by the zoo of boarding. So for me, that first "ding" of the keycard being scanned is when I start to really relax and just feel giddy. Then, I'm fully relaxed and in cruise-excitement mode when I hit a bar outside with good people watching.  We actually don't spend much time at the pool bars during the cruise, but it's vital for my "I'm on a cruise!" embarkation vibe.

• Like 3

When I get to the room, open the minibar to see if my favorites are pre-stocked, grab a split of bubbly and a glass, and step out on the veranda, regardless of weather. More or less any time I am drinking Champagne on a weekday, anytime I want to. 

Fun that this zombie thread has been walking for quite a while...

13 hours ago, TwoNavySalts said:

When I get to the room, open the minibar to see if my favorites are pre-stocked, grab a split of bubbly and a glass, and step out on the veranda, regardless of weather. More or less any time I am drinking Champagne on a weekday, anytime I want to. 

We too look forward to opening the Spirited Pop after getting settled in the Cabin. Once all OK, bottle opened with Sugared Strawberries and also stepping on the balcony. Once seeing the shore from above, I know "WOW... We are on board and We are Really Leaving again.".....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
40 minutes ago, Harry and Lucille said:

When I hear the landing gear being raised when we leave the airport. My mind goes blank regarding anything before that moment. New adventure has started.

My is close to yours.

When on board, when I see the Longshore Men throw the first line off land.

But when I see that gentle movement so lite to detect of the ship easing away from the Pier....The Adventure Truly Starting...

"THERE'S NO TURNING BACK ".......

• Like 3