First Cruise

Squidy25

Today's the day!! Telling dad tonight over tea with the family! I bought a sailors cap and a gawdy Hawaiian shirt as my way of telling him! Can't wait. Flights, insurance, hotel and cruise are sorted.

Just need to figure out what shore excursions we want to do and save some spending money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9b554287157db4fdd1c1808503c00956.jpg

He was speechless! He kept asking was I serious!

Exactly the reaction I wanted. He knows so much about the islands and boat already from reading the brochures and magazines about cruising! Let the countdown to March begin [emoji4]

Firstly, you're a wonderful daughter for doing this for your dad. This is a lovely ship, we did a Christmas cruise on it out of New Orleans. The wardrobes are not walk in other than the one in the junior suite that was so big I could have slept in it. When I shared with a friend one of us would shower, come out in a robe and get dressed whilst the first person was in the bathroom. The 2nd would then dress. You will find a way to do it. Make sure you complete the special needs paperwork because if dad needs a machine with him for his sleep apnoea he will need an extension cord and possibly distilled water and you need to tell them in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How lovely! I think you'll both have a wonderful time.

I suppose you know that the electrics will be different to yours in Oz? The ship runs on 220v, and there will be a socket for that, but the rest of the sockets will be US... you'll need a world wide adapter with an Aus plug.

Come back and tell us all about it! :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Voyager of the Seas. Looks really cool. Lots of stuff for us both to do (together and separately). It's a 7 night cruise. Has two stops - Dad has some health issues so wanted to keep him as comfortable as possible yet still exploring!

I didn't realise there was a sub forum, thank you so much!

Missing my Dad so much. I'm glad you are on this adventure. I am amused that I'm reading your initial query while you're actually on your cruise (if you signature ticker and countdown is correct.) Or you just finished it? I'm not sure. But YAY!

9b554287157db4fdd1c1808503c00956.jpg

He was speechless! He kept asking was I serious!

Exactly the reaction I wanted. He knows so much about the islands and boat already from reading the brochures and magazines about cruising! Let the countdown to March begin [emoji4]

Love the hat. Your thoughtfulness makes me so happy and tearful! :)

Hello there,

I am planning a surprise cruise for my Dad's birthday next year. For as long as I can remember he has always always wanted to go on a cruise. My mum is dead against cruises as she doesn't like boats and gets incredibly bad motion sickness.

Any help with the planning stages, especially choosing a ship would be amazing! We would probably be leaving from either Brisbane or Sydney ports and are hoping to do 7 days as the shortest and 12 at the longest.

If you cruise from Brisbane you are really looking at Princess Cruises, over the next year 11 of 13 cruises from Brisbane are with them. Holland America has a couple. (Only looking at major lines).

If you cruise from Sydney about 80 cruises over the next year including Royal. So the choices are much great from Sydney but you would need to factor the air travel in.

If you cruise from Brisbane you are really looking at Princess Cruises, over the next year 11 of 13 cruises from Brisbane are with them. Holland America has a couple. (Only looking at major lines).

If you cruise from Sydney about 80 cruises over the next year including Royal. So the choices are much great from Sydney but you would need to factor the air travel in.

Thanks! We just arrived back from our cruise. We went with Royal as we have heard incredible things about them. Discounted flights to Sydney were helpful

Thanks! We just arrived back from our cruise. We went with Royal as we have heard incredible things about them. Discounted flights to Sydney were helpful

Yes I knew when I posted you already on a cruise. Posted the reply more for others that who maybe doing the same type of trip. Sites like this while you get your answers, the same post help others for years to come.

Happy you had a good cruise.

I know they already sailed and it sounds like they had a wonderful time. Unless something has changed in two years Royal Caribbean does sail from Brisbane. My husband and I sailed Legend of the Seas from there in March 2016. Don't count this company out until you look.

Also, for any locals, Brisbane was an amazing city! We are from the States and this was the first time in Australia. I would love to return and spend more time in the city.

Unless something has changed in two years Royal Caribbean does sail from Brisbane. My husband and I sailed Legend of the Seas from there in March 2016. Don't count this company out until you look..

Things have changed the Legend of the Seas 2016 tour of Australia was the last for the ship. Later in the Spring it was sold to another line and is renamed and cruising Europe. Royal has about 60 cruises on the current listings for Australia. They start from Sydney or Melbourne, Brisbane is now only a Port Stop for them. Princess operates cruises from Brisbane.

Things have changed the Legend of the Seas 2016 tour of Australia was the last for the ship. Later in the Spring it was sold to another line and is renamed and cruising Europe. Royal has about 60 cruises on the current listings for Australia. They start from Sydney or Melbourne, Brisbane is now only a Port Stop for them. Princess operates cruises from Brisbane.

That's too bad. I enjoyed flying in to there & spending the day before the cruise walking around & going up Story Bridge.

Update: we loved loved loved the cruise! Seas were a bit rough at times, but we handled it well. So much to do onboard! f7ad3b6972c6f6b927377a762cdf12a1.jpg

Love this picture:hearteyes: It looks like you had a great time!

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing: what is the tattoo on your leg?

Love this picture:hearteyes: It looks like you had a great time!

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing: what is the tattoo on your leg?

Thank you!! Was lovely having some one on one time with Dad!

My thigh tattoo is my Nanny’s handwriting out of the last letter I received from her. She got really sick, really quick and didn’t make it. She was one of my biggest supporters and life isn’t the same without her.

134dbb85ee30dcbf1323b24522da93ac.jpg

This was just after I had it done.

Thank you!! Was lovely having some one on one time with Dad!

My thigh tattoo is my Nanny’s handwriting out of the last letter I received from her. She got really sick, really quick and didn’t make it. She was one of my biggest supporters and life isn’t the same without her.

134dbb85ee30dcbf1323b24522da93ac.jpg

This was just after I had it done.

I'm sorry for your loss:( It's a beautiful reminder of someone who meant so much to you.

Squidy 25,

Thank you so much for updating us! It was truly heart warming to read such a positive thread here. I hope you have many more special adventures like this.

Thank you!

We loved it and can’t wait to go again! We are looking at possibly a New Zealand one, or even a Disney Cruise now (we are avid Disney fans!)

Was so nice getting all dressed up for formal night, I even took advantage of the salon on board c11423d71c06987920ebedb316efbd86.jpg

Once I catch up with work, I plan to use some downtime to write up a review of our trip!