Kids club/RFID bracelets/age restrictions

NIX70

I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the experienced DCL cruisers here. My 13 year old niece has learning disabilities (she has Downs Syndrome). We're going to be on Magic in the Med at the end of May and I've asked Disney special services if my niece can go into the secure access area of Oceaneer Lab, with the accompanying RFID bracelet. We absolutely cannot allow her unfettered access in and out as she sees fit, she will just wander. I've been quite surprised that special services has said no. They state that age categories are strictly enforced and that RFID bracelets are only given to children under 12.

Am I being unreasonable by pushing back on this? We surely can't be the first family with a vulnerable child to request more restricted access for them? Does anyone else have guidance/experience they can share on this? Thanks to all in advance. Nicola

Unfortunately, there was a serious incident quite a few years ago where DCL allowed a young adult with special needs into the teen program and the results were ...well, not good. Shortly after that incident, the concept of "secure programming" and "open house hours" was instituted and DCL became very strict about certain age guidelines--specifically the 12 and 17 lines (12 in the Lab/Club and 17 in the Vibe). Many experienced cruisers felt that these rules were instituted by the legal department because they are among very few totally inflexible things on DCL. Prior to the incident, these matters were handled on an individual basis.

I really doubt that there is any possibility of them making an exception for your niece. While the specific need is different, the underlying issue is the same--allowing an individual beyond the permitted age to participate in programming with younger kids. I realize that you are seeing the vulnerable child; DCL is seeing the issues that developed when they violated their own policies. And unless they have changed, the RFID chips only work in the Club/Lab areas, not around the entire ship. Your only chance would be an appeal to the YAC supervisor on board, who would at least take the step of meeting the young lady and the family, but I don't believe she has the authority to allow the girl in. However, a long time has passed and things have started to relax just a little at the younger end of the spectrum.

You will be able to take the young lady into the Club, Lab, and Edge spaces during "Open House" hours, when she will be under the supervision of an adult in your family.

If you need further info, let me know here and I'll attach my e-mail address.

At 13, she won't even show up in the computer system to allow DCL to register her and issue her an Oceaneer's band.

As mentioned, the bands only work within the club and lab, and the sensors that pick up where kids are, are only in those areas, so if you're looking for one to keep track of her around the ship, the band won't do that anyway.

You can try and again, and you can try onboard too, even if you get the issue to the manager of youth activities, cruise director or even the captain, unfortunately the answer will still be no. sorry.

I would suggest signing her up for Edge, and, at the first open house, speak with the Edge staff about her needs. Given Disney's history with accommodating special needs children, I really believe they will give her the level of supervision that she needs.

My daughter has special needs also. This was on Carnival, not Disney, but when she was 13 we signed her up for their tween program, and spoke wit the staff there. They were OK with making sure she had staff supervision the entire time she was in the club, and my wife or I would drop her off/pick her up at the club each day.

I can only assume Disney would do just as much as Carnival did.

I would suggest signing her up for Edge' date=' and, at the first open house, speak with the Edge staff about her needs. Given Disney's history with accommodating special needs children, I really believe they will give her the level of supervision that she needs.

My daughter has special needs also. This was on Carnival, not Disney, but when she was 13 we signed her up for their tween program, and spoke wit the staff there. They were OK with making sure she had staff supervision the entire time she was in the club, and my wife or I would drop her off/pick her up at the club each day.

I can only assume Disney would do just as much as Carnival did.[/quote']

For legal though they wouldn't promise anything.

They would say they would look out for her but they wouldn't physically stop her from leaving. They could phone you if she wanted to leave, but like I said, if she decided to go they wouldn't be able to stop her. Edge doesn't have a sign in and out policy, kids are free to come and go as much as they like.

The only times that adults are allowed in any of the spaces which is during open house, and even venue (apart from maybe the nursery) will have at least one hour of open house each day.

Disney don't (and never have in my 3 years working there) give one-to-one care for any child in their care (unless of course the kid is the only one/one of very few, in there at the time).

DCL specifically states that they cannot provide one on one care in any age group. While the child will be welcome in The Edge, they cannot promise you any "special handling." Even if someone tells you that they will call if she wants to leave, (which I don't believe they will), don't count on it. They could get busy, she could walk out and not be noticed with a group of kids, one CM could forget to pass the word to a new one who comes on duty, etc.

DCL will do what they can to accommodate special needs kids, but they are totally up front about what they can and cannot do. And I really don't see how The Edge can give her the supervision that I'm sensing she needs.

Carnival has the same set up as Disney does for the pre-teen group, and they were able to accommodate my daughter.

There is no harm in going to Edge on opening day and speaking to the staff to see what levels of support could be provided. Even if, after speaking with the staff, OP doesn't feel it would be appropriate to leave her daughter there, they can still visit during the open house hours they have.

Disney has an excellent reputation for accommodating children with disabilities, and this reputation is well deserved. OP should absolutely give them a chance and see what they can do.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed here. My niece is high-functioning and doesn't need one to one supervision, the key issue for us is her ability to wander out of the club as she pleases, coupled with the fact that she may want to be with her 11 year old brother if he's in the Lab. I don't for a moment think she'll be in any danger, it's more likely that she'll wander, get turned around, not know where she is or where we are and then we're looking at a full blown meltdown. Either that or she'll find her way to the pizzeria and be chowing down on slices all day (appetite is an issue). Either way is not ideal! I suspect that we three adults in the family party may be looking at monitoring her in shifts, so that we all get a bit of a break.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed here. My niece is high-functioning and doesn't need one to one supervision, the key issue for us is her ability to wander out of the club as she pleases, coupled with the fact that she may want to be with her 11 year old brother if he's in the Lab. I don't for a moment think she'll be in any danger, it's more likely that she'll wander, get turned around, not know where she is or where we are and then we're looking at a full blown meltdown. Either that or she'll find her way to the pizzeria and be chowing down on slices all day (appetite is an issue). Either way is not ideal! I suspect that we three adults in the family party may be looking at monitoring her in shifts, so that we all get a bit of a break.

The 11 year old brother will be able to use the Lab and the Edge.

I have a daughter with Down syndrome. She is high functioning too. She is 33 now but we have been on Disney ships for 20 years When we first brought her while she was 12 or 13 they were kind enough to allow her in and give her a bracelet. But that stopped after the first year probably for the reasons noted. Now we are blessed that she has a best friend who we always bring with. They wAnder the ship on their own and have a blast. We have been on all the ships so they know the ship better than I do. They also take the room mobile phone with so I can check on them and they can let me know where they are. Each room has two mobile phones that only work on the ship. They are a great way to keep track if she is capable of texting. My daughter is more adept at her cell phone than me. Also In Our experience, and we go on a Disney Cruise at least once a year, and this year we are going twice, the staff around the ship is excellent in getting to know them by name, giving them hugs and extra time and showing tremendous kindness and patience. You probably aren’t fortunate to be able to bring a friend but it has been a

Godsend for us. And well worth the extra cost since we pay all her expenses.

Thank you all, this has calmed our nerves quite a bit. When we got the flat 'no' from Disney regarding the bracelet and Lab access I have to say there was quite a bit of panic, and even some discussion about cancelling the holiday. This is the first time that my mother and I have taken the children away on holiday and even though my SIL is coming with us, we were very concerned. However having read through all these messages and now spoken to my SIL, we are feeling much more comfortable. We've now got two months to get the kids used to what they can and can't do on the ship.

Nicola