British Isle on a Budget?

I'm starting to research and get ready to book a cruise on Royal Princess (Liverpool). I'm trying to get a bit of an idea about how much extra money I should be budgeting for all the basic extras (excursions). l would be fly in from NY to Southampton (the flight is about $1,700 per couple w/extra leg room) stay over 2 nights before cruise in London. I'll be looking into a bunch of non-cruise bought excursions as I know they tend to be much cheaper. If you were on a budget, what would still be the thing/attraction you would spend the money on? What was worth it? What wasn't? I know everyone has differences and preferences just trying to get some sense of what to expect money wise. I tend to be a little budget minded so 5 star, top of the line, exclusive type of expenses usually are not that important to me. I'd rather go see and do more things then spend the money that way.

Almost every port can be done DIY, by public transports or hoho bus. Some tours are free of charge, like free walking tours in Dublin, or bus tours organized by volunteers around Greenock. Some buses companies have organized tours from the ports and are not very expensive, like Paddywagon in Ireland or Invergordon tours in....Invergordon. You'll find very useful references reading others threads on this forum : "British Isles Cruise Photo Heavy Review" by Kevin's girl (OP) or " Which ports can can (a bug!) be done DIY?" by NrKnits : a lot of useful answers.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

London will be the most expensive part, so you need to look hard for a good deal on a hotel that has access to the main sights. The trick is to balance convenience with cost; for example, do you want (or are you able to) handle your own luggage on public transport, or will you need a taxi from the airport?

There are many useful threads on this forum and no doubt people on your roll call with whom you can share.

Yes, you can find many reviews from last summer. Ours was here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539205

We're generally cheap (inside cabins for us!), but I liked using independent tours in most of the ports to help us manage our time efficiently. Many of them, like the eCoach tour to Blarney and Kinsale from Cobh were really not that expensive. (We really enjoyed Blarney Castle and the gardens, especially the Rock Close -- it's not just all about the Stone.) And there were some things like the Edinburgh Tattoo that were worth the splurge.

Otherwise a lot of the ports are very DIY -- St. Peter Port is very walkable, Dublin is easy (at least from the shuttle stop) and the Trinity College tour was a lot of fun, etc.

Almost every port can be done DIY, by public transports or hoho bus. Some tours are free of charge, like free walking tours in Dublin, or bus tours organized by volunteers around Greenock. Some buses companies have organized tours from the ports and are not very expensive, like Paddywagon in Ireland or Invergordon tours in....Invergordon. You'll find very useful references reading others threads on this forum : "British Isles Cruise Photo Heavy Review" by Kevin's girl (OP) or " Which ports can can (a bug!) be done DIY?" by NrKnits : a lot of useful answers.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Funny you say that, I actually just read through all of Kevin's Girl's thread the other day :'). It was great since for me the pictures helped a lot. I'll have to hunt down the other one. I've been trying to read so many of the the threads to get more ideas and tips. Most of them though don't always mention what they spent so that's why I was kind of asking in general what's a ball park amount. Are we talking $500-$1000 or more like $3,000.

Yes, you can find many reviews from last summer. Ours was here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539205

We're generally cheap (inside cabins for us!), but I liked using independent tours in most of the ports to help us manage our time efficiently. Many of them, like the eCoach tour to Blarney and Kinsale from Cobh were really not that expensive. (We really enjoyed Blarney Castle and the gardens, especially the Rock Close -- it's not just all about the Stone.) And there were some things like the Edinburgh Tattoo that were worth the splurge.

Otherwise a lot of the ports are very DIY -- St. Peter Port is very walkable, Dublin is easy (at least from the shuttle stop) and the Trinity College tour was a lot of fun, etc.

Thank you for the reply. I had started reading your review as well. I love all the details. Is there a way to save or mark threads so you can reference them later? I've just been subscribing to them as a way to try and save them.

Funny you say that, I actually just read through all of Kevin's Girl's thread the other day :'). It was great since for me the pictures helped a lot. I'll have to hunt down the other one. I've been trying to read so many of the the threads to get more ideas and tips. Most of them though don't always mention what they spent so that's why I was kind of asking in general what's a ball park amount. Are we talking $500-$1000 or more like $3,000.

I didn't price it all together, but you can piece it together from the links.

For example, the eCoach bus tour to Blarney and Kinsale (full day, including admission to Blarney Castle) is 59 Euros (about 73 US $) per person. The Odyssey tour to Giant's Causeway and the rope bridge (full day, including a driving tour of Belfast, not including the small charge to cross the rope bridge if you wanted) was 45 Pounds (about 64 US $) for the Extra Leg Room tour. (I thought both were very reasonably priced for what we got.)

If you DIY, you're only on the hook for admission for what you decide is a must-see. In St. Peter Port, admission to go in Castle Cornet is 10.50 Pounds (about 15 US $), which I know some on our cruise enjoyed, although we decided it wasn't a must-see for us because we didn't have the time for both an inside visit + an outside walk of the castle and town after our bike tour. In Dublin, the Trinity College tour + Book of Kells exhibition is 14 Euros (a little more than 17 US $), which we decided was a must-see for us.

Etc.

ETA: No idea about bookmarking threads on CC. I just file bookmarks using my browser in a planning folder.

I didn't price it all together, but you can piece it together from the links.

For example, the eCoach bus tour to Blarney and Kinsale (full day, including admission to Blarney Castle) is 59 Euros (about 73 US $) per person. The Odyssey tour to Giant's Causeway and the rope bridge (full day, including a driving tour of Belfast, not including the small charge to cross the rope bridge if you wanted) was 45 Pounds (about 64 US $) for the Extra Leg Room tour. (I thought both were very reasonably priced for what we got.)

If you DIY, you're only on the hook for admission for what you decide is a must-see. In St. Peter Port, admission to go in Castle Cornet is 10.50 Pounds (about 15 US $), which I know some on our cruise enjoyed, although we decided it wasn't a must-see for us because we didn't have the time for both an inside visit + an outside walk of the castle and town after our bike tour. In Dublin, the Trinity College tour + Book of Kells exhibition is 14 Euros (a little more than 17 US $), which we decided was a must-see for us.

Etc.

ETA: No idea about bookmarking threads on CC. I just file bookmarks using my browser in a planning folder.

Ohhh those DIyYs seem so doable and priced so far below what the cruise ship get. Did you have to make reservations on a lot of the private tours in advance or is it one of those things where there are a million people waiting at the ports to take you on one so you don't have to worry.

I'm starting to research and get ready to book a cruise on Royal Princess (Liverpool). I'm trying to get a bit of an idea about how much extra money I should be budgeting for all the basic extras (excursions). l would be fly in from NY to Southampton (the flight is about $1,700 per couple w/extra leg room) stay over 2 nights before cruise in London. I'll be looking into a bunch of non-cruise bought excursions as I know they tend to be much cheaper. If you were on a budget, what would still be the thing/attraction you would spend the money on? What was worth it? What wasn't? I know everyone has differences and preferences just trying to get some sense of what to expect money wise. I tend to be a little budget minded so 5 star, top of the line, exclusive type of expenses usually are not that important to me. I'd rather go see and do more things then spend the money that way.

Right now, I'm attempting to get a handle on how much money to allocate for what is probably the same cruise, incl. Liverpool, different date (leaving June 6th.)

I made a list of the ports and then research to see what different things there were to do there. Money is important, but I may never do this again so how enjoyable I thought it would be (8 person rather than 45) was also a factor.

May total for excursions was £581 per person & €338.50 which sounds great until you add in Exchange rate and for 2 people which gives me a total of just under $2500. Then you need to add in incidentals, food souvenirs and that place you want to go to that you didn't know about.

I've planned on doing Guernsey, Dublin, Liverpool and Edinburgh semi-DIY. We are also doing a post cruise excursion (to Bath & Cotswolds) which is included in total. FWIW here is what we have planned:

Guernsey DIY: probably what to Cornet Castle and a couple other places. Sometimes skipped so didn't want excursion

Cobh / Cork - eCoach to Blarney Castle and Kinsale

Dublin: Book of Kells, maybe Dublin Castle, walk through Temple Bar area, find a nice pub for authentic irish meal

Liverpool: Ferry Across the Mersey and walking around. May go see Terracotta Warriors at Tate (I think)

Belfast: Giant's Causeway with City and Causeway tours. May hit Titanic Museum before reboarding

Greenock / Glasgow: Tour with Discover Scotland (I think) to Loch Lomond Trossachs National Park etc and Inveraray Castle. Most go to Stirling, I wanted to go to Inveraray.

Invergordon / Inverness: tour to Loch Ness & Culloden

Edinburgh: taxi pick up at dock with drive to St. Andrews, after St. Andrews will be dropped in Edinburgh for 2-3 hours, hopefully shuttle back to ship

Le Harve / Normandy: excursion to Normandy Beaches (this was one of our splurges)

Feel free to email if you have specific questions sandi at sandimorris dot com

Hope this helps

Sandi

Ohhh those DIyYs seem so doable and priced so far below what the cruise ship get. Did you have to make reservations on a lot of the private tours in advance or is it one of those things where there are a million people waiting at the ports to take you on one so you don't have to worry.

We made reservations in advance as some of the tours (like the eCoach to Blarney or the Odyssey Extra Leg Room tour in Belfast that I mentioned) sold out months ahead. They want to be away from the ship quickly so they can get to the sights first, so they want pre-booked passengers who know that they need to get off the ship quickly!

However, there were often people at the port who would help you find a taxi or tour. For example, the HoHo bus reps would swoop down on everyone getting off the shuttle in Dublin. (We did take one of their free maps!) And there was a gauntlet of helpful TI and tour reps in Glasgow.

But if you know that you want to take a particular tour, I would recommend booking in advance, to make the best use of your time and budget.

Right now, I'm attempting to get a handle on how much money to allocate for what is probably the same cruise, incl. Liverpool, different date (leaving June 6th.)

I made a list of the ports and then research to see what different things there were to do there. Money is important, but I may never do this again so how enjoyable I thought it would be (8 person rather than 45) was also a factor.

May total for excursions was £581 per person & €338.50 which sounds great until you add in Exchange rate and for 2 people which gives me a total of just under $2500. Then you need to add in incidentals, food souvenirs and that place you want to go to that you didn't know about.

I've planned on doing Guernsey, Dublin, Liverpool and Edinburgh semi-DIY. We are also doing a post cruise excursion (to Bath & Cotswolds) which is included in total. FWIW here is what we have planned:

Guernsey DIY: probably what to Cornet Castle and a couple other places. Sometimes skipped so didn't want excursion

Cobh / Cork - eCoach to Blarney Castle and Kinsale

Dublin: Book of Kells, maybe Dublin Castle, walk through Temple Bar area, find a nice pub for authentic irish meal

Liverpool: Ferry Across the Mersey and walking around. May go see Terracotta Warriors at Tate (I think)

Belfast: Giant's Causeway with City and Causeway tours. May hit Titanic Museum before reboarding

Greenock / Glasgow: Tour with Discover Scotland (I think) to Loch Lomond Trossachs National Park etc and Inveraray Castle. Most go to Stirling, I wanted to go to Inveraray.

Invergordon / Inverness: tour to Loch Ness & Culloden

Edinburgh: taxi pick up at dock with drive to St. Andrews, after St. Andrews will be dropped in Edinburgh for 2-3 hours, hopefully shuttle back to ship

Le Harve / Normandy: excursion to Normandy Beaches (this was one of our splurges)

Feel free to email if you have specific questions sandi at sandimorris dot com

Hope this helps

Sandi

Thank you so much for the reply Sandi. I'm going to start checking into those :D

Thank you so much for the reply Sandi. I'm going to start checking into those :D

I will agree with Sandi that the tour to the Normandy Beaches was worth the splurge. We went with Overlord Tours and enjoyed our day, which included the stop in Bayeux to see the tapestry and have lunch at a place serving galettes (savoury buckwheat crepes). Our guide was very good.

I have done much research. We usually DIY for most ports. Ecoach to Blarney is essentially the same price as DIY and Kinsale only adds 20 euros to that price--we opted for that tour. We also opted for Belfast,Giants Causeway tour. There's no way to get there DIY and tours start at 33 pounds. Stirling castle looks fairly easy via scotchrail train, if you are fit and can walk uphill (a bonus exercise for us with 2 teens). We are also planning to train to Kilkenny from Dublin DIY although a coach tour is essentially the same price.

Still trying to get a good, budget option for Invergordon. We will have a Scottish Explorers 3 day pass, so want to use it for Urquhart. I'm hoping that the summer Stagecoach schedule includes some more options.

DDay beaches is a once in a lifetime experience--worth it.

I have done much research. We usually DIY for most ports. Ecoach to Blarney is essentially the same price as DIY and Kinsale only adds 20 euros to that price--we opted for that tour. We also opted for Belfast,Giants Causeway tour. There's no way to get there DIY and tours start at 33 pounds. Stirling castle looks fairly easy via scotchrail train, if you are fit and can walk uphill (a bonus exercise for us with 2 teens). We are also planning to train to Kilkenny from Dublin DIY although a coach tour is essentially the same price.

Still trying to get a good, budget option for Invergordon. We will have a Scottish Explorers 3 day pass, so want to use it for Urquhart. I'm hoping that the summer Stagecoach schedule includes some more options.

DDay beaches is a once in a lifetime experience--worth it.

If you do find a good budget option for Invergordon that includes Urquhart, you'll have to report back to people here, because I had a difficult time finding one last year. We finally decided to go with Invergordon Tours, which was a little pricey (admissions were included) and a little rushed and not ideal, although I note that this year, they've changed their tours so that they're not trying to visit both Urquhart and Cawdor Castle on the same tour (which is a positive change, IMO; less is more -- I was disappointed we had to skip Culloden on last year's tour).

We wanted to visit Urquhart not only because they're scenic ruins and we wanted to dip our feet in Loch Ness (alas, Nessie did not come nibble our toes) but also because it meant something to our family (the MacDonalds of the Isles). Otherwise I don't know if, for the budget conscious, they're worth the expense (money and time) of getting there?

we are going to Stirling and Edi Castle. The Scottish Explorers Pass for 3 days is $46--about the same price as these 2 castles, so Urquhart entrance is free for us (family of 4). I think we'll be very tired by then. I can't imagine my 2 teens on another all day tour. We might even just take the 25X bus to Inverness and rent a car.

Edited by elaine5

Our total for excursions last August was around $800 for the two of us. That included what we did on our three days in London (Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, and West End show) and afternoon in Southampton (Tudor House and the SeaCity Museum).

The things we paid to see on the cruise portion of our trip included Castle Cornet in Guernsey; eCoach to Blarney Castle and Kinsale from Cobh; Dublin Castle, HoHo bus, and Guinness in Dublin; Invergordon Tours to Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness, Clava Cairns, and Cawdor Castle; train and HoHo in Glasgow and the Mackintosh House; train to Edinburgh and the castle; and MuMa in Le Havre.

We did a lot of walking in many of the ports and saw a lot of free things. Our hotel in London was in Kensington--walking distance to Kensington Palace and Harrods. We road the double decker buses most of the time. It was more scenic than taking the Tube plus more convenient since the bus picked us up at the corner and the Tube station was three-quarters of a mile away.

Edited by geoherb

We are doing all independent small group tours this summer — our biggest group right now is at 9 people, and that might grow to 12 but no larger. Our total for the tours at today’s exchange rate is $960/person. Two of the tours are what I would call splurges...we are spending $250 each in Greenock for a completely private day that includes lunch, snacks, beverages, and any admission fees. Our other high priced tour is an Overlord Tour to Normandy, which works out to be $151 each. Cruises like this are where I really think being active on a roll call is very helpful. We’re able to do things I couldn’t afford without getting others to join in!

I’ve already paid for some things, and I’m glad I did...the exchange rate is going in the wrong direction! I also like paying in advance (as long as something’s refundable) because it helps ease the pain at the end of the trip![emoji15]

On our list we have a walking tour in Dublin that includes our Book of Kells admission, and we also reserved and paid for a dinner show in Dublin.

Other than those things I listed, lunches and admission fees are extra. We have several tours in London...all public walking tours or food & drink tours. They vary in price, but with the exception of one food tour weren’t very expensive. I lived in London, so we’re using our days there more to play and walk down memory lane than hit the big tourist attractions.

Our other expense is transportation. We’ve arranged private transfers from LHR—>hotel, hotel to Southampton (with stops at Stonehenge and in Salisbury), and Southampton—>LHR. We’re sharing the port transfers in both directions, so our total there works out to $142 each, and then we both have £30 Oyster cards. We prepaid our hotel (in Kensington) in order to save quite a bit over the refundable rate, and we used miles for our air, so that was the least expensive part of the trip![emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cindy

Here’s a link to my review as well. British Isle Cruise 2017 Photo Review.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539994.

Of course we were on the same cruise with the other fine commenters. We booked everything private are shared it on Cruise Critic to fill the tours. It was a great way to book smaller group tours for less money and make new friends on board. I have been included links for the tour companies in my review but didn’t include pricing since in subject to change.

Your going to have a great time!

Cheers!

Chris

British Isle Cruise 2017 Photo Review

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539994

Photo Review Grand Princess Thanksgiving Grand Adventure Hawaii 2016

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2446904

Of course we were on the same cruise with the other fine commenters. We booked everything private are shared it on Cruise Critic to fill the tours. It was a great way to book smaller group tours for less money and make new friends on board. I have been included links for the tour companies in my review but didn’t include pricing since in subject to change.

Cheers!

Chris

I had your trip review read and tagged already :D

We are doing all independent small group tours this summer — our biggest group right now is at 9 people, and that might grow to 12 but no larger. Our total for the tours at today’s exchange rate is $960/person. Two of the tours are what I would call splurges...we are spending $250 each in Greenock for a completely private day that includes lunch, snacks, beverages, and any admission fees. Our other high priced tour is an Overlord Tour to Normandy, which works out to be $151 each. Cruises like this are where I really think being active on a roll call is very helpful. We’re able to do things I couldn’t afford without getting others to join in!

I’ve already paid for some things, and I’m glad I did...the exchange rate is going in the wrong direction! I also like paying in advance (as long as something’s refundable) because it helps ease the pain at the end of the trip![emoji15]

On our list we have a walking tour in Dublin that includes our Book of Kells admission, and we also reserved and paid for a dinner show in Dublin.

Other than those things I listed, lunches and admission fees are extra. We have several tours in London...all public walking tours or food & drink tours. They vary in price, but with the exception of one food tour weren’t very expensive. I lived in London, so we’re using our days there more to play and walk down memory lane than hit the big tourist attractions.

Our other expense is transportation. We’ve arranged private transfers from LHR—>hotel, hotel to Southampton (with stops at Stonehenge and in Salisbury), and Southampton—>LHR. We’re sharing the port transfers in both directions, so our total there works out to $142 each, and then we both have £30 Oyster cards. We prepaid our hotel (in Kensington) in order to save quite a bit over the refundable rate, and we used miles for our air, so that was the least expensive part of the trip![emoji23]

I keep forgetting about the exchange rate. What is an Oyster card?

For your $1700 airfare, you can just about take the QM2 transatlantic from NYC to Southampton in an Inside cabin. The food and amenities will be far better than what any airline can offer. You won't get there as fast. But then again you won't have to subject yourself to a TSA strip search, cramped seat, extra charges for carrying a handkerchief in your pocket, etc., etc.

You may even find other (lesser) cruise lines that have even better transatlantic rates. Nowadays, I'm beginning to think that a rowboat might be better than flying!

I keep forgetting about the exchange rate. What is an Oyster card?

An Oyster Card is for your London transportation...tube, bus, light rail, and some trains.

https://www.visitbritainshop.com/usa/london-visitor-oyster-card/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7tfVBRB0EiwAiSYGM5aJZ0E4VYsRqpisTrKEe2RBjY-BVN7CMUj1XGnP5HLFpPvQh7QetRoCUlIQAvD_BwE

Cheers!

Chris

Your review cost me some money![emoji23]

I discovered Tom Docherty in your review, and I contacted/booked him immediately. It’s one of the tours I’m most excited about!

For your $1700 airfare, you can just about take the QM2 transatlantic from NYC to Southampton in an Inside cabin. The food and amenities will be far better than what any airline can offer. You won't get there as fast. But then again you won't have to subject yourself to a TSA strip search, cramped seat, extra charges for carrying a handkerchief in your pocket, etc., etc.

You may even find other (lesser) cruise lines that have even better transatlantic rates. Nowadays, I'm beginning to think that a rowboat might be better than flying!

I wish I had the extra time I would. I don't like the stress of flying. The initial ticket wasn't as bad ($600 economy)as all the other add ons. I can't believe they now charge you to pick your seat $90 pp and an extra $83pp if that seat is the exit ones. They charge it both ways:mad:. I don't even have any checked luggage!

Your review cost me some money![emoji23]

I discovered Tom Docherty in your review, and I contacted/booked him immediately. It’s one of the tours I’m most excited about!

You’ll have a great time with Tommy! We’re taking a weeklong photo workshop with him to the Isle of Skye in 2019. Best tour guide ever, you’ll have a blast.