Carnival CHEERS! BEVERAGE PROGRAM

dddink13

First time cruiser! Do we buy the cheers package. Not a heavy drinking but might want a beer or daiquiri by the pool! Also I keep seeing. Beer buckets and pitchers. What is the best choice. Sailing with a friend for five days. Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You will get a lot more feedback on the Carnival boards, although if you search them there are lots of Cheers posts already.

I would not recommend Cheers for a light to moderate drinker. Buckets of beer are a $2 savings (.50/beer) and I think the pitchers do offer a savings if splitting as well.

We just returned from a 7 day Bahamas cruise and payed as we went, using a $500 gift card I had purchased in advance and around $100 on board credit. I think on our heaviest day we spent around $100 for the two of us. We had drinks at boarding, bucket of cider with most evening shows, bottle of wine with elegant dinner (you can each bring a bottle of wine as well - we did), Alchemy tasting, several mixed drinks throughout the week, limoncello at dinner one night (would skip this next time - $8.50 each for a shot in a souvenir glass), rum tasting, and a couple fish bowls.

We had over $100 left over and for our next cruise will probably only get $250 on a gift card. We liked doing the gift card because then the money was already "spent" and we didn't worry about the cost of drinks, but did keep an eye on our account just in case it started getting low. Some people opt for cruise cash rather than a gift card - can do a smaller amount - but it is non-refundable and our balance was returned via Fedex on another gift card.