First time cruiser. No passport.

dotede04

Hi!!!

We are a family of six that will be traveling on royal Caribbean in may 2019!!! Leaving from port canaveral.

We will not have passports only our birth certificates.

Will I need to carry these with me on and off the ship??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kids 16 & over need to have a photo ID. (adults, too) If they have a school ID with picture, that will do. If Nassau is one of your stops - and it usually is from Port Canaveral - the port will ask to see it, along with your seapass card when exiting to go back to the ship. EM

I’m afraid of that!! I will be a freak about time. Nassau we are there til 9pm we are going to do a 5 hour excursion through the ship. Then we will just get back on board. My kids are a handful and shopping will be impossible.

I’m afraid of that!! I will be a freak about time. Nassau we are there til 9pm we are going to do a 5 hour excursion through the ship. Then we will just get back on board. My kids are a handful and shopping will be impossible.

By 2019, when you are sailing, the rules for travel documentation may change. They will for air travel, and they may for cruise travel.

The present travel documents may or may not be sufficient in 2019.

By 2019, when you are sailing, the rules for travel documentation may change. They will for air travel, and they may for cruise travel.

Can you elaborate on the changes for air travel please?

It's highly unlikely that the requirements will change for cruise travel. When DHS enacted the present regulations they determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise poses a low risk to the national security and it was that determination that gave us the closed loop exception. Since nothing has happened to cause that determination to change it means the regulations themselves will not change.

I believe the poster is referring to needing ID that is compliant with the REAL ID act which is something that has taken years to fully implement.

Would this include passports being needed for in country flights? I thought I heard that over the past few weeks.

I would not travel today in this world without a valid passport. To many things could go wrong that will cost you much more than the cost of passports. If the ship has a problem, weather, security, medical, mechanical etc, and you go into a passport country you have problems. I seem to remember a cruise a few years ago, non passport cruise and the ship had problems and went into a country that required passports. The cruise line flew the people home who had legal documents to enter the country (passports) others had to say on ship and return with the ship.... about two weeks late.

I would not travel today in this world without a valid passport. To many things could go wrong that will cost you much more than the cost of passports. If the ship has a problem, weather, security, medical, mechanical etc, and you go into a passport country you have problems. I seem to remember a cruise a few years ago, non passport cruise and the ship had problems and went into a country that required passports. The cruise line flew the people home who had legal documents to enter the country (passports) others had to say on ship and return with the ship.... about two weeks late.

Oh I’m a fan of passports, I have 3 citizenship’s and passports to go with, so I’m fully ID’d lol. I should have been more specific in my question.

I’m Canadian and frequently fly out of Detroit to other US destinations. My 18 month old only needs his birth certificate to cross a land border, and then only his birth certificate to fly within the US. I would like to know if the rules surrounding documentation needed for under 16’s has changed, otherwise I need to hurry up and get my son his passport. I’ve been searching online but US government sites are a nightmare.

Would this include passports being needed for in country flights? I thought I heard that over the past few weeks.

If you happen to be from a state that is not REAL ID compliant by the time DHS stops giving extensions then you would need something other than a state issued ID and a passport would work in that circumstance (and one could always use a passport as ID as a matter of course).

I'm not sure what cruise you are referring to but one CCL ship did disembark all of the passengers in St Marten once. Those US citizens who were traveling without passports were given letters from CBP allowing them to board the plane without a passport and they flew back at the same time as the other passengers. US citizens have valid choices to make regarding documentation and as long as they are willing to accept the risks (which are low for the vast majority of people) then there is nothing wrong with their choice).

I agree. I've read too many stories in my time that said "I was told I didn't need to do X" and then life happens.

Depending on what kind of travel you plan on doing with your kids in the future, a passport card might not be a terrible idea. They are far cheaper, and will cover land/sea travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Carribean.

Right now you are good. Check back 6-months before to make sure nothing changes. It will be unlikely anything changes.

But for the adults. I would just invest in a passport. Its good for 10-years.

It's highly unlikely that the requirements will change for cruise travel. When DHS enacted the present regulations they determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise poses a low risk to the national security and it was that determination that gave us the closed loop exception. Since nothing has happened to cause that determination to change it means the regulations themselves will not change.

Unless some political appointee decides to change things.