Booking 18 months in advance? Anyone done it before?

dotede04

I am currently booked for may 2019. I’m comfortable with that timeframe although I’m making myself crazy with research (how do you all do the wait!!!???)

Now there is a opportunity to book ncl for the $1 down on a 7 night dream itinerary for sept 29th 2019 (my bday!!). Has anyone ever booked that far in advance? Is it a stupid decision? And seriously how do you keep the anticipation at a min?

Thank you for all replies in advance!!!

Teresa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I've booked that far in advance and it takes forever to countdown! I haven't found a way to keep down the anticipation regardless of how far in advance the cruise is booked. I'm sure most will agree with me they are super excited when the reservation is made and have a hard time waiting. Welcome to the club!

We often book 1 to 1 1/2 years in advance. We usually are booking b2b or more. By booking early, I get the same cabin for all legs. It has also allowed us to get the alcoholic beverage package for free on several cruises.

We went on our first one in 2016 and booked a year & a half in advance. I spent countless hours on the old Carnival Funville message boards. Spent all that time learning everything I could about cruising in general and the ship (Conquest). The anticipation wasn't too bad until it got closer. For our upcoming June cruise, we originally talked some other members of her family into going with us (who have never been) and booked 15 months in advance. We were really excited to share the experience. I started researching again and participating in the CC boards. I'd say the anticipation was greater this time because sharing the planning with others was part of our fun. Except they never wanted to talk about it...and I mean never. But I kept doing my thing. Then about 8 months after booking, they cancelled on us. We weren't fully expecting it, but we had our suspicions since they always avoided the topic. It threw a wrench into the whole trip and completely killed the mood. Anticipation, gone. We didn't think we'd be able to go because, without them, changes would've meant a considerably bigger expense for us. So we just kind of put it aside. I lost my mom 6 months ago and really want to get away, so a couple months ago, we decided to make it work. That put me right back into planning mode LOL and we've been counting down since. All of our cruises will more than likely be booked that far ahead, if for no other reason than to give us time to save up for them. It's not easy coming on these boards seeing people who aren't far from their sale date, especially when your days number in the hundreds. Just gotta find a way to push through it or take your mind off of it.

One piece of advice is that the OP should watch the pricing of their cruise as they get a lot closer to the final payment. If the price were to drop (this happens all the time) you can ask your cruise/travel agent to "reprice" your cruise at the lower prices.

We have been cruising for over forty years (up to 100 days a year) and seldom book a cruise that far in advance. In fact, many of our cruises are booked at the last minute. But, if we want to go on a very popular itinerary such as the Holland America Voyage of the Vikings...then we will book far in advance. Otherwise we have never seen the reason unless we wanted a very specific cabin (not normally our style).

Hank

I am currently booked for may 2019. I’m comfortable with that timeframe although I’m making myself crazy with research (how do you all do the wait!!!???)

Now there is a opportunity to book ncl for the $1 down on a 7 night dream itinerary for sept 29th 2019 (my bday!!). Has anyone ever booked that far in advance? Is it a stupid decision? And seriously how do you keep the anticipation at a min?

Teresa

We generally book longer cruises and do so at least 12-18 months ahead in order to get preferred cabins at what will often be the best price on the premium/luxury cruise lines.

As for the anticipation, we've got three long cruises (each 3 weeks +) booked between now and summer 2019. So, "anticipation" is sort of a non-issue.

Yep. See my Allure cruise report below (title alone). And we booked our Symphony cruise 2 years in advance. I love the planning and anticipation though. I get obsessive on here but keeps me busy. Keep watching for price drops... although if you booked early , you probably got a good price, not to mention stateroom choice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I’m so glad others are doing the same thing. My hubby tells me I’m insane. This is our first cruise and maybe last as a whole family. My daughter will be 20 at sailing. And who knows what life will bring. I want it to be amazing. I’m looking at the breakaway. Western Caribbean.

I’m so glad others are doing the same thing. My hubby tells me I’m insane. This is our first cruise and maybe last as a whole family. My daughter will be 20 at sailing. And who knows what life will bring. I want it to be amazing. I’m looking at the breakaway. Western Caribbean.

Except that we're NOT doing the same thing.

Again, we book far in advance for long (and exceptional/unusual) itineraries on ships that are much smaller. In general, that means prices will only rise as selection decreases over time. So, booking early (often the week the itineraries are announced), makes sense. And, since we usually "book onboard," it means a price drop match guarantee up until the day of sailing.

However, on some giant mass market ship going to anywhere in the Caribbean for less than two weeks, there's always a decent chance that prices may decrease closer to sailing due to an over abundance of unfilled cabins. Of course, if you fly to/from the port, the added expense of buying close-in airfare may wipe out any associated cruise discount.

Except that we're NOT doing the same thing.

Again, we book far in advance for long (and exceptional/unusual) itineraries on ships that are much smaller. In general, that means prices will only rise as selection decreases over time. So, booking early (often the week the itineraries are announced), makes sense. And, since we usually "book onboard," it means a price drop match guarantee up until the day of sailing.

However, on some giant mass market ship going to anywhere in the Caribbean for less than two weeks, there's always a decent chance that prices may decrease closer to sailing due to an over abundance of unfilled cabins. Of course, if you fly to/from the port, the added expense of buying close-in airfare may wipe out any associated cruise discount.

I meant by obsessing.

This vacation is a huge deal for us. And I need the extra time to pay for it.

When my wife and I decided we were going to book a cruise to celebrate our 20th anniversary, I started my research. I read the forums here for months, getting advance notice of sales and promotions, and when I finally booked it was about 18 months early and I was confident I was getting a good price. We leave in less than a month now and the price couldn't be beat (after factoring in the "free" stuff like prepaid gratuities).

For the first 3-4 months after booking, it was still super exciting. After that, I kept reading these forums, getting tips, figuring out what to pack, what to buy (things like a multiport usb charging station and magnetic hooks), and what to do at the ports. The excitement picked up again around final payment and now with less than a month to go, it's impossible to contain our excitement.

I can very much relate to your excitement :D

There's really no downside to booking that early, other than locking away your deposit money. If it's a dollar, well, then there's really no downside at all.

For Disney cruises and the more popular ships across all lines, booking early is the best way to get the best price. The price typically just goes up from whatever the initial price is.

For the less popular sailings, well, you're free to cancel and rebook if there's a price drop or cool promotion up until final payment is due, which is a lot closer to the sail date.

We have booked as early as three years in advance.

We like to select the room we want and lock it all in.

Sometimes we have booked early and canceled and most times have gone.

Just be sure you know the rules of the Travel Agent/Agency as some will charge a small fee for cancellation and likewise know the rules of the cruise line as some will have a non refundable deposit.

Keith

We have booked the majority of our cruises 2 years in advance. We know what cabin we want and don't want someone else grabbing it.

Also, since we have so flights out of airport, we also book flights as soon as we can. Book hotels as early as possible.

We also book with a TA that doesn't charge a fee if we do change our minds and cancel a cruise.

I'm already booked for Feb 2020. It's the best way to know you're getting the best price (but you'll want to check from time to time that the price hasn't gone down- if it does and its before your final payment they will adjust to the lower price). I have 5 other cruises booked between now and 2/20!!

Teresa

I booked months ago for next April, keep going by remembering what I’m waiting for

I recently booked my first cruise for Dec 2019!! So far there is 6 of us going, 4 of them have cruised before but me and my g/f have not. I have been researching and planning and anticipating and watching videos like a crazy person lol. This cruise is a big deal to me and I need this amount of time to pay for it and also save the money for the trip to NYC and back to get on the boat. So for that reason Im happy I booked ahead. But also we got some good deals with NCL and we will have the booze package for free, no gratuity on the package so it really is Free! Also the gratuity for the whole cruise is included, and also we got to select a cabin we wanted and only paid 50 bucks down.

Teresa

Furthest out we've booked - 23 months. Closest - 3 days.

Depends on the cruise.

Teresa

I’m booked for a Hawaii cruise in dec 2019. It was initially 2020 but I changed it.

Well we decided on the 5 night cruise 5-12-2019!!! Still forever away. And I’m making everyone insane with my research.

Dont worry about the research information is good. Just dont drive yourself crazy, everyone else....feel free lol