How late can you stay on the ship the last day

Family of 4 - wife, 2 sons (11 & 14) and I will be on the Allure in late May. We've been on several cruises our of different ports (never out of FFL though) and never had problems making 11:30 or so flights.

This time we only had choices of flights leaving at 8:55 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Even though we'll be in a crown loft suite with priority disembarking, we knew 8:55 would be cutting real close so we we went with the 3:00 flight - know it would take a miracle to go standby. Since we won't be in a big rush to get to the airport for the 3:00 flight, I'm curious as to what's the latest you've been allowed to leave the ship? What did you do while on board the last morning? How late can you stay in the room?

Thanks!

You HAVE to be out of your room by 8:30. We went to the main dining room and had breakfast and left the ship around 9:30. We stayed at the Westin Diplomat for one night before coming home so we weren't in a rush. Just a warning... all the shops and photo areas are closed in the morning. We found out the hard way. I am sure you could stay on until 10:00 at the latest but there is nothing to do. Hope that helps.

OK, thanks for the feedback! I was thinking something similar since they have to get the ship ready for the next crew, but just wanted to ask the experts. On all of our previous 8 cruises, we've always rushed off when our time was called to catch mid day flights. We've never had to hang around for later flights.

Thanks again!

Here is what we did in Jan. We told our room steward that we had a late afternoon flight. He said we could stay in stateroom until 9:30; however, he said if u wanted to eat breakfast, all the dining venues closed down at 8:45, so they could get new food ready for guests arriving at 11am. We left the ship at 10:30

The ship will not clear until they get down to a "zero" count on all passengers. That includes those doing the back to backs which leave the ship around 10-10:30. At our meeting for B2B's we were told that their goal is to have the ship cleared by 10:00. Bottom line: they don't want guests hanging around. :) Also there are 6000 new passengers waiting to board to start their week.

Edited by cruisingator2

Thanks again all for the feedback. I have a general idea now what to expect. We'll pace ourselves and fall in line as appropriate, but definitely plan on being off the ship by 10:00. We'll probably end of being at the airport about 4 hours, but we'll survive.

Thanks again!

We are getting excited!

one way my husband & I have passed the time is we take a taxi to Hotel Pier 66 and asked the bell desk to watch our luggage (tip well) as we were going to be taking the water taxi to get a little tour. the water taxi leaves from the end of the dock by their bar/restaurant at 11:00am. sometimes we get off at stops to eat sometimes we just stay on and get a wonderful tour of the expensive homes along the waterways. it is ALWAYS a must do for us every trip and I can't think of a better way to relax and waste some time. you can google water taxi and get all the particulars as far as cost and stops and such. enjoy!

The main problem we've had before with late flights is what to do with the luggage, because sometimes the airlines restrict how far ahead of the flight they will check you in.

You might want to check into the luggage valet service RCCL has. With that you can have your bags taken care of, and be free to do something in Fort Lauderdale in the morning to have fun and kill time.

---

Kevin

Thanks again for all of the great feedback. We may try looking into doing something while in Fort Lauderdale, but was wondering about what we would do with luggage and not having enough time to try to squeeze in an excursion.

You HAVE to be out of your room by 8:30. We went to the main dining room and had breakfast and left the ship around 9:30. We stayed at the Westin Diplomat for one night before coming home so we weren't in a rush. Just a warning... all the shops and photo areas are closed in the morning. We found out the hard way. I am sure you could stay on until 10:00 at the latest but there is nothing to do. Hope that helps.

We're staying at the Westin Diplomat too. Did you like it? :)

The main problem we've had before with late flights is what to do with the luggage, because sometimes the airlines restrict how far ahead of the flight they will check you in.

You might want to check into the luggage valet service RCCL has. With that you can have your bags taken care of, and be free to do something in Fort Lauderdale in the morning to have fun and kill time.

---

Kevin

The airport has Public Baggage Storage at each terminal apparently. Anyone ever use it? Where is it located in each terminal (on level 2 - departures)? Is there a fee?

The airport has Public Baggage Storage at each terminal apparently. Anyone ever use it? Where is it located in each terminal (on level 2 - departures)? Is there a fee?

never used it, have read about it, and honestly never have seen where it is at the airport but I LOVE Ft Lauderdales airport it is broken into 4 smaller builders and is so easy to get around shouldnt be hard to find at all

Our steward told us we could stay "as late as we wished," but I took that to mean 9:30'ish. ;) We didn't stay in our stateroom the entire time because we wanted to be courteous to our steward. They are on a tight schedule. We didn't feel rushed though, and that was great!

My sister was looking over my shoulder when I posted this question. Always the curious one, she looked up and found this:

From the BagsToGo website:

Public Baggage Storage is available only at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), in Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4. Enjoy exploring the airport or surrounding communities without the impediment of having to take your luggage with you.

Locations:

Terminal 1 – Lower level (arrivals) next to Continental Baggage Service Office.

Terminal 2 – Upper level (departures) next to Business Center.

Terminal 3 - Upper level (departures) next to Chili’s.

Terminal 4 - Lower level (arrivals) next to Spirit Baggage Service Office.

Cost: $6.00 per bag per calendar day (maximum 30 calendar days).

Requirements:

Must provide valid I.D. and proof of travel to or from Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (i.e., boarding pass, itinerary, etc.).

Hours of operation vary by location and season; however, Terminal 2 is open 7 days a week from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm.

Thanks, sis!

Edited by Lloyd555

Thanks again all for the feedback. I have a general idea now what to expect. We'll pace ourselves and fall in line as appropriate, but definitely plan on being off the ship by 10:00. We'll probably end of being at the airport about 4 hours, but we'll survive.

Thanks again!

We are getting excited!

Have you considered doing an excursion in FLL that day? Maybe there is something that will work.

There are 2 local excursions that you can take depending on the airport you go to. They will bus you to Hollywood FL where you can give your luggage to the RCL people to take to the airport. Then you're on your own to explore, shop, eat, take the free trolley, or go to the beach. Then at 2:OO they will take you to the airport where you pick up your luggage and check in. The cost is $35 per person. 1 excursion takes you to the Miami Airport and the other to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport.

• 7 years later...

I have faced this situation many times and my preference is to book a day room at a local hotel, dump my bags there and enjoy the rest of the day at the port. Much more fun than trying to hang around the ship as long as you can.

There are websites that offer day room rates. Also, if you contact local hotels, depending on how busy they are, they will offer day room rates even if not advertised.

I find booking a hotel near the airport the best option. That way not far to travel from hotel to terminal and you have an opportunity to rest and freshen up in your room.

On my last cruise, I did consider booking an excursion where you do some sightseeing and then get dropped off at the airport. Personally, I prefer the freedom of organising my own day. Uber is easy to get in FLL and a great way to get around.