My time dining and gratuities

I am looking at cancelling my gratuities when I get on board so I can pay these personally. We have my time dining and according to the threads it looks like the gratuities are asked to be prepaid. What happens if I cancel the gratuities?

I am looking at cancelling my gratuities when I get on board so I can pay these personally. We have my time dining and according to the threads it looks like the gratuities are asked to be prepaid. What happens if I cancel the gratuities?

You no longer have to prepay gratuities if you select My Time Dining. If you do not prepay gratuities, they will be charged to your onboard account automatically, on a daily basis.

So if I cancel my gratuities what will be added to my account for my time dining

The standard gratuities of $13.50 per person per day for JS and below, and $16.50 per person per day for GS and better.

So if I cancel my gratuities what will be added to my account for my time dining

If you opt out of daily gratuities your account will not be charged for them. A list of those who do this is available to the staff. If you tip personally in cash, those people must turn it in or face dismissal. Don't know why you want to do this (are you planning to carry cash every time you go to the WJ?) but it's so much better to leave the automatic tips in place and just give extra cash to those you feel deserve it.

Even if I opt out of automatic gratuities?

If you cancel prepaid gratuities, you can visit Guest Services once you are onboard and request they discontinue automatic gratuties. In this case, no gratuities will be charged to your onboard account.

I am looking at cancelling my gratuities when I get on board so I can pay these personally.

Understood, and many passengers also feel this way. However, as mentioned, it is usually just easier and more convenient to leave the auto-gratuity/service charge/hotel charge (it is called different things on different cruise lines) in place. It's easy, convenient, and if you wish to recognize outstanding service you can always tip extra cash personally. I don't know if you have cruised before, but the gratuities cover more than your wait staff in My Time Dining. It's kind of a runaround to personally get to everyone who is included (my opinion).

Someone else that pays more will take up the slack for you

Pardon? So by your definition no one should tip because others will make up the difference?

Even if I opt out of automatic gratuities?

Do you plan on dining anywhere except the dining room? Those grats are also handed out to WJ staff, cafe staff, etc. You will see the same helpful crew members waiting on you in the WJ as you did last night in the MDR. They work very long hours all day long. We have had really wonderful waiters in the WJ, some that even remember my DH loves those ranger cookies and will bring him some when they see us. ;)

Your automatic gratuities also cover your cabin steward and other behind the scenes personnel; not just dining room staff.

It is much simpler, and fairer, to leave them in place. If you feel anyone has been particularly helpful you can always tip them extra in cash.

Pardon? So by your definition no one should tip because others will make up the difference?

Have you noticed over the years that daily grats have been increasing almost every year to make up for the non tippers. . By his definition the answer is yes. Perhaps as more and more cheapos remove their grats the cruise lines will finally just increase fares so everyone pays the same in tips. Kudos to NCL for no longer allowing grats to be removed onboard.

Have you noticed over the years that daily grats have been increasing almost every year to make up for the non tippers.

This is an unfair statement. Gratuities haven't been going up "almost every year." But even so, it's more likely to keep up with cost of living, not to make up for those who don't tip. Automatic Gratuities were added to lessen the event of "skipping out" on tips and to make sure MTD waiters were tipped. But I remember the days before MTD and Automatic Tips when, on the last night, TIP Night, people would eat at other venues and skip out on tipping the wait staff. Cheap people have been around for years.

If you opt out of daily gratuities your account will not be charged for them. A list of those who do this is available to the staff. If you tip personally in cash, those people must turn it in or face dismissal. Don't know why you want to do this (are you planning to carry cash every time you go to the WJ?) but it's so much better to leave the automatic tips in place and just give extra cash to those you feel deserve it.

Interesting. How do you know this?

You can save even more $$$ by eating in the Lido on the last evening and avoiding your cabin steward that night also ? ( use to happen frequently)

Please don't disrupt the system that works that was put in place that is fair to crew and guests .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't mind tipping for good service. I suspect that the automatic tipping is a hidden charge for the customers who already paid to go on the cruise to subsidise the company's wage bill. Also if staff are chastised for receiving cash, why do all the posts advocate tipping over and above the automatic gratuities for good service? I am not trying to get out of tipping, I would like to be convinced that the automatic charge actually gets passed on to the crew??

Why don't they just pay the staff more??

I will pay for fantastic service but can't stand getting it shoved in my face and HAVE TO pay gratuities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no, no, no, no. You post the same made up garbage in every thread.

I don't mind tipping for good service. I suspect that the automatic tipping is a hidden charge for the customers who already paid to go on the cruise to subsidise the company's wage bill. Also if staff are chastised for receiving cash, why do all the posts advocate tipping over and above the automatic gratuities for good service? I am not trying to get out of tipping, I would like to be convinced that the automatic charge actually gets passed on to the crew??

It isn't a hidden charge, since we all know about the charge and of course it subsidizes the wage bill. That is how it works for those employees who get paid with tips. I think the crew would let it be know if they were not receiving their share of the gratuities.

If you have an issue with how the crew get paid don't withhold your tips since that will only penalize the crew.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always find that funny when peeps complain about the added on grats listed as a separate charge.....do they ever look at their cable bill, electric bill, phone bill....etc...etc. Or do they not notice those "add on" charges? ;) Can we opt out of those added on charges also?? ;p