A bit tacky?

eastender

On the Oasis a week ago, I've certainly seen a tips jar before on the schooner bar piano when the singer's there but it seems to be spreading all over the ship. The pub singer, classical music with different musicians in central park, even in Jazz on 4 lounge there was a tips jar at the front of stage for the musicians/singer. More surprising was when they have that afternoon with activities for kids on boardwalk, there were tip jars there for face painting, balloons etc. I appreciate all the entertainment but on some occasions those tip jars didn't seem appropriate on a cruise ship.

I've never seen what you speak of (other than the Schnooer Bar), but what's the difference between them and street musicians or Buskers in the Tube?

They're not cruise line employee's. They're independent contractors.

Besides, just like the street musicians,,, it's your choice... tip or not.

I've never seen what you speak of (other than the Schnooer Bar), but what's the difference between them and street musicians or Buskers in the Tube?

I’m pretty sure they are paid...why would you not think so?

I’m pretty sure they are paid...why would you not think so?

Did someone say that they are not paid?

Of course they're paid, just like the entertainment at the Schooner bar. Schooner bar has a tip jar. They are not paid cruise line employees

Just like at airports, subway station, street fairs, etc. Many of those entertainers are contracted by the organization governing the venue. They all get a base pay. It's up to them and their talent to earn extra thru tips, CD sales, and now EP sales.

Edited by klfrodo

Hell, there are tip jars in fast food restaurants, too! I ignore them most of the time. If I have to walk up to a counter, order my food, and wait for it....I don't see where a "tip" comes into play.

Same in most Wawas/Sheets or other gas stations....there is a TIP jar at the counter! Buy a coffee....that YOU make yourself....they are NOT getting tipped for taking my money.

Use your judgement!

I'm totally fine with a tip jar for the face painters/balloon animal kids activity people. From what I understand they are just basically getting a free cruise and have to schedule X amount of time to do their crafts with children. They also must bring their own supplies. I thought that the entertainers are all under longer, more real contracts so that seems a bit more odd.

On the Oasis a week ago, I've certainly seen a tips jar before on the schooner bar piano when the singer's there but it seems to be spreading all over the ship. The pub singer, classical music with different musicians in central park, even in Jazz on 4 lounge there was a tips jar at the front of stage for the musicians/singer. More surprising was when they have that afternoon with activities for kids on boardwalk, there were tip jars there for face painting, balloons etc. I appreciate all the entertainment but on some occasions those tip jars didn't seem appropriate on a cruise ship.

I understand what you are saying. I can ignore them at counter service places, but I see where others may feel embarrassed into leaving something.

I actually don't have a problem with the specific locations that you mention.

:)

I'm totally fine with a tip jar for the face painters/balloon animal kids activity people. From what I understand they are just basically getting a free cruise and have to schedule X amount of time to do their crafts with children. They also must bring their own supplies. I thought that the entertainers are all under longer, more real contracts so that seems a bit more odd.

Agree. The Music Entertainers have been selling their own CD and DVD's on board for years ago. That and Tips way for then to make a living income... Most Cruise Lines aren't All Inclusive.

I was shocked to see that on a cruise last year . It happened to be in one of the lounges and the singer/guitar player happened to live close to where I live . He has a band that plays all over NYC and I was surprised to see him on a cruise ship.I was doubly surprised to see the tip jar.

By that definition, almost no one is an employee. Of course they work on contract, so does Celine Dion :')

But I do not see them as remotely the same as street performers as they are completely at the will of “donations” (and to my understanding, all the performers are paid, but like a great many people in the world, by contact - long gone are the days of the 30 year employee with a pension).

I agree with Eastender and some others, a tip jar is tacky. I cannot understand them being allowed to do that. It seems too easy to pass off the problem with “do it or not” (it doesn’t change the base problem). Not many people want their arms twisted passively, especially on an expensive vacation. I wouldn’t go to Vegas again if it was free because of the tackiness there- sure I can ignore the old Korean woman pushing a prostitute’s calling card at my husband, but I would just as soon go somewhere that didn’t happen (and spend my money - the income that comes without any tips) :confused::D

Lynn

By that definition, almost no one is an employee. Of course they work on contract, so does Celine Dion :')

But I do not see them as remotely the same as street performers as they are completely at the will of “donations” (and to my understanding, all the performers are paid, but like a great many people in the world, by contact - long gone are the days of the 30 year employee with a pension).

I agree with Eastender and some others, a tip jar is tacky. I cannot understand them being allowed to do that. It seems too easy to pass off the problem with “do it or not” (it doesn’t change the base problem). Not many people want their arms twisted passively, especially on an expensive vacation. I wouldn’t go to Vegas again if it was free because of the tackiness there- sure I can ignore the old Korean woman pushing a prostitute’s calling card at my husband, but I would just as soon go somewhere that didn’t happen (and spend my money - the income that comes without any tips) :confused::D

Lynn

I agree that they are getting some payment from the cruise line unlike pure street performers, but they are a lot closer in total income to street performers than they are to Celine Dion. Just as you say you won't go back to Vegas, you don't have to put anything in the jar. If I like their performance, or they play a request for me, I am happy to give them a little something. Forget street performers, this is the standard for the majority of lounge bands. I remember seeing older family members tip the band at a wedding to play something specific.

No one should feel they have to tip if they don't want, but some people not liking it does not mean it can't or shouldn't be done. I think the singing waiters are tacky and ridiculous, but that doesn't mean they need to stop doing it.

The tip jar is how you have some input into the selections

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This, at least for the entertainers. For the face painters etc. it's a way to demonstrate your appreciation for their craft if you use it and if you want to.

I agree that they are getting some payment from the cruise line unlike pure street performers, but they are a lot closer in total income to street performers than they are to Celine Dion. Just as you say you won't go back to Vegas, you don't have to put anything in the jar. If I like their performance, or they play a request for me, I am happy to give them a little something. Forget street performers, this is the standard for the majority of lounge bands. I remember seeing older family members tip the band at a wedding to play something specific.

No one should feel they have to tip if they don't want, but some people not liking it does not mean it can't or shouldn't be done. I think the singing waiters are tacky and ridiculous, but that doesn't mean they need to stop doing it.

We can disagree, that is fine. I was agreeing with a few others before me that found it distasteful and the reason why. It was my opinion, worth no more and no less to any other. I don’t see this as comparable to a wedding with the neighborhood band, it’s a cruise. And while the cruise lines are certainly adding on consistently to the things for which we must pay, the broad idea is that it is all inclusive and tips are paid in one paymen and offered as complete payment (with very few exceptions, like the concierge ). While it’s fine for people to give extra tips for exceptional service, I believe that putting a jar out to suggest it’s necessary is a far different thing .

A serious conversation about incomes on ship would be a long one, but as the daughter of dedicated educators who were paid a great deal less than most people with less education and leagues less than people who throw a ball around for a living, I would say that topic is more complicated that it is sometimes presented here (e.g., the view occasionally put forth that I so often that the workers are comparable to indentured servants who should be pitied). I do not say that to bring on a different conversation, only to say that the accurate answers to questions like the one of salaries are often more complicated than can be explored on an online onboard. :) Have a good one!

Lynn

In the Schooner Bar, I am OK with that. Tradition for the bar piano player to have a tip jar. Remember, "and they put bread in my jar....?"

And I would tip for a request. Or if I really liked the song selection.

But in the Centrum or other venues, NO.

I have no problem with them selling CDs. That is a product, not a tip.

On a recent tour of the bridge.

The Captain had a tip jar out on console next to where he was sitting.

It was very tacky but most on the tour felt obligated to put a few dollars in.

You would think they pay him more these days..

I guess I'd tip him if he didn't hit any rocks.:')

I probably wouldn't have had any cash with me.

I did tip the captain during Celebrity Deslers on Freedom a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've only been on a few cruises but I don't think I've ever left the room with money. I don't drink so I haven't been in that situation at a bar. I will have my daughter with me on the next cruise and I too think it's tacky for the tip jar. I would assume it was a regular employee unless they let me know somehow it wasn't. There's a girl that makes balloon animals at Denny's on wknd mornings. It's obvious she's not an employee and works from tips.

Hell, there are tip jars in fast food restaurants, too! I ignore them most of the time. If I have to walk up to a counter, order my food, and wait for it....I don't see where a "tip" comes into play.

Same in most Wawas/Sheets or other gas stations....there is a TIP jar at the counter! Buy a coffee....that YOU make yourself....they are NOT getting tipped for taking my money.

Use your judgement!

That's my pet peeve as well. Most of the time the money is already placed in the tip jar just to allude that it is customary practice. I ignore it. I tip generously when it is warranted. Sorry but I'm not leaving a tip at 7eleven or Dunkin Donuts just because they rang up my purchase.

Now THAT'S tacky!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think we have moved from tacky to completely embarrassing. I think I would have just stood and stared - might have been too shocked even for a snarky comment. Still trying to get that sink in... :o