Holland America Line Privileges

qsuzi

I managed to get a copy of the contract - four and a half closely-typed pages. It’s complicated and does little to clarify exactly what you are getting for your money. It does, however, clarify the relationship of the program to HA. HALP. It states:

The program is not owned or operated by Holland America Company. Rather, HALP has a limited license from HA Company to market and sell Memberships aboard select World’s Leading Cruise Lines itineraries and to use HA Company’s trademarks, trade names, service marks and other intellectual property in connection with Rewards Offering, sale and operation of the Program. These licenses are for a limited duration and may not extend for the entire term of this agreement or Buyer’s Membership.” And “None of HALP’s representatives involved in describing, marketing and selling the Program or Buyer, preparing this agreement, or operating the Program are representatives, employees or agents of Holland America Company.”

……

Sorry for this late response to your excellent post. While I found all of what you wrote helpful and worthwhile, I extracted and highlighted what to me is the most pertinent information: HALP (aka ICEG) is paying HAL for the right to use its " trademarks, trade names, service marks and other intellectual property". That's how HAL is making money on the arrangement. While it may seem simple and obvious, it didn't occur to me what the actual relationship with HAL was until I read your post. Thank you.

As I mentioned here on this thread many months ago, the whole program reeks like a timeshare scam. Caveat Emptor, as Mickanata posts above.

• 4 months later...

Me and my husband bought into this program. I believe this is a big rip off. We were told we had one free Mexican resort stay and one other free resort stay. When searching their site and for redemption of these ceritificates, we discovered there are huge fees associated with it. These resort stays do not include daily fees and taxes. There is an addition $250 mandatory deposit which can only be returned to purchase food/services at hotel! Most nice resort stays have an additional charge (e.g. Up to $1,752 for a one week Mexico resort stay, IN ADDITION to the $2,500 voucher provided). Keep in mind there is no airfare included and dont include food or drinks.

I didn't even see them pitching this garbage in June. I wonder if they abandoned the program.

Good question; I wonder the same. It certainly wasn't pitched on my recent cruise, either.

We have travelled extensively for years-even more so in the past few retirement years. AI's, cruises, five and six star hotels/resorts, B&B's...you name it.

We have reviewed countless number of these deals, so called club, whatever, sat through some of the pitches, had one on ones. And twice we had a complementary week at a very nice resort whilst they pitched the package. Sales folks NOT happy..no sale.

Bottom line...we have yet to find any cheese in any of the offers. Time shares, vacation clubs, you name it

I don't know what it is about the word free that draws so many people. Get over it...there is nothing free in the travel domain.

Our bottom line...we can afford to travel for months at a time but we cannot afford anything that is 'free' if it involves signing up for a financial commitment. Why...because we cannot afford it from a value perspective. This offering from HAL is nothing new. Just a new title, a captive audience, and perhaps a more trusting group of prospects.

From our perspective it is no different than the art auction scams in terms of integrity, value, and reputation. What's next? A few guys on deck pulling cruisers in for a 'find the pea' shell game. Hopefully someone in Seattle has come to his or her senses and discontinued this 'program'.

Edited by iancal

I didn't even see them pitching this garbage in June. I wonder if they abandoned the program.

Was very visible on our March Oosterdam cruise, right next to Guest Services where the Guest Services Manager's office is usually located.

We did not see any evidence of the program on our Veendam July cruise.

• 5 months later...

Totally not worth your time or money. They lead you to believe you can gain cruise credits by cruising, which is not correct. You earn the credits by buying things on their website, or by booking hotels they have signed up. They also give you a "free" trip when you sign up, but the trip is next to impossible to use and involves extra charges. Run, don't walk away from this!

• 6 months later...

I just joined Cruise Critic to be able to give my review on this HAL privileges program. It was with much trepidation that we signed up in March 2017. We have successfully made it worth the while! Yes, the things you can purchase on line can be expensive. We've mostly just purchased cases of wine albeit the cheapest case is around $12 a bottle. Have used it mostly for hotel stays. Did have one stay at a Ft. Lauderdale hotel and got over half my money back in cruise points. We were able to accrue nearly $2500 in cruise points on the program so far. And I'm happy to report it went towards a cruise on HAL coming up this October. I provided my travel agent with my Holland America Privileges card number just last night, and the money was there. It cut our cruise price in half! We got 2 free week vacations; one was thru Vidanta and we went to Riviera Maya location. We had a fantastic time; my kids loved the resort. The second week we used in Mesa, AZ; went to spring training. Anyway, we plan on continuing with the program as we have typically several hotel stays throughout the year. So, if you travel a lot, and if you are like my husband and I, where our work reimburses our hotel stays when the trip is work-related, it's worth your while.:)

I just joined Cruise Critic to be able to give my review on this HAL privileges program. It was with much trepidation that we signed up in March 2017. We have successfully made it worth the while! Yes, the things you can purchase on line can be expensive. We've mostly just purchased cases of wine albeit the cheapest case is around $12 a bottle. Have used it mostly for hotel stays. Did have one stay at a Ft. Lauderdale hotel and got over half my money back in cruise points. We were able to accrue nearly $2500 in cruise points on the program so far. And I'm happy to report it went towards a cruise on HAL coming up this October. I provided my travel agent with my Holland America Privileges card number just last night, and the money was there. It cut our cruise price in half! We got 2 free week vacations; one was thru Vidanta and we went to Riviera Maya location. We had a fantastic time; my kids loved the resort. The second week we used in Mesa, AZ; went to spring training. Anyway, we plan on continuing with the program as we have typically several hotel stays throughout the year. So, if you travel a lot, and if you are like my husband and I, where our work reimburses our hotel stays when the trip is work-related, it's worth your while.:)

So, how much did it cost you to sign up for this service?

Is is it correct that one has to use the HAL Privileges travel service to book all travel.

So, how much did it cost you to sign up for this service?

Is is it correct that one has to use the HAL Privileges travel service to book all travel.

It cost us $2000. Got a $500 card balance in return (which was part of the $2500 I mentioned) and the 2 free weeks. I book thru my travel agent which is [removed]. You dont have to use HAL. Th[ree money all goes onto a Discover prepaid card which the travel agent was happy to take and is reloadable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Edited by Host Walt
remove reference to TA - not permitted.

It cost us $2000. Got a $500 card balance in return (which was part of the $2500 I mentioned) and the 2 free weeks. I book thru my travel agent which is [removed]. You dont have to use HAL. The money all goes onto a Discover prepaid card which the travel agent was happy to take and is reloadable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You really do need to do some research on this company. It's a rip off. I would also suggest your check out International Cruise and Excursions (ICE). ICE and Holland Privileges are the same company. Also check out Government Vacations Rewards. All three of these companies run the same scam and are located at the same address. Google these companies and read the reviews at the Better Business Bureau.

Edited by Host Walt

Was very visible on our March Oosterdam cruise, right next to Guest Services where the Guest Services Manager's office is usually located.

We did not see any evidence of the program on our Veendam July cruise.

:confused: What is a Guest Services Manager?

HAL has Guest Relations Managers and a major functionthey have is running front office. They have a 'closed door office, meaning, they do not simply (as a rule) have a desk set up in a publilc area such as does the FCC (future cruise consultant).

Sounds like a time share type deal.

Actually I think we had a discussion about this 1-2 years ago in this forum.

Anyone else remember?

We went to a presentation a couple years ago. It was a sales pitch that mimics timeshares. Spend vacations at selected resorts and buy high end products through their websites and get credits towards a cruise. You end up spending more money going to places you don’t want to go and buying stuff you don’t need just to get money off a cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went to a presentation a couple years ago. It was a sales pitch that mimics timeshares. Spend vacations at selected resorts and buy high end products through their websites and get credits towards a cruise. You end up spending more money going to places you don’t want to go and buying stuff you don’t need just to get money off a cruise

Very good summary except you have to pay $2500 to start.

Yes and they pressured you to sign up during your cruise Plied you with wine sign up desk was always empty

A friend recommended Gov Travel. I quickly determined I wanted nothing to do with them. It reminded me of the scams frequently encountered around military bases that are designed to lure in unsuspecting and naive young soldiers. While investigating Gov Travel, I found they are located at the same address as ICE and Holland Privileges. My suspicions were confirmed by the many posters on this thread and by the comments on BBB bulletin board.

• 1 month later...
Would appreciate any information about this new HAL program. Nothing found when searching this forum.

Waste of time and money. It is a shame Holland America does this to its customers. Avoid like the plague. We bought it and used about 500 on it but its not worth your time or effort

We have only attended two timeshare pitches. The first was in Daytona Beach. We got a $100 cheque for attending. and a few stale muffins.

The second was in Koh Samui, Thailand. We got a free week at a five star resort in Phuket. Well,,,,we paid $60. but we got one complementary breakfast with another time share salesman (no pressure and we ended up talking about his home on Isle of White) and a free dinner buffet at another one of their resort on the island. Plus we went back two years later for another free five night stay. No....we of course did not buy a thing.

Entered the firm name on google and the red lights started flashing!

What do you get if you attend the a timeshare pitch on a cruise ship?

A glass of champagne, aka ginger ale, won't do it for us. Besides, if we really wanted a timeshare we would buy it on the secondary market for about a third of the price or less.

Edited by iancal

We spent our last few winters there, and in other SE Asia countries. It is not so much the fare as it is the length of the flights.

Economy air ranged from $750 CAD to $1100 return over each of the past few years. We paid significantly more for business class to Singapore this past Jan. but it was a significantly longer single flight for us...17 hours.