What are 'pop up' restaurants?

Floridiana

The term 'pop up' Sel de Mer came up in another thread. What exactly is this? A restaurant that is installed a few nights on the premises of a different restaurant? Is 'Sel de Mer" the only pop up? Does it pop up on all ships? Please explain.

Like Bruce says, it's a term used to describe when one of the existing restaurants, usually the Pinnacle Grill, is used for a night to host another themed restaurant. Sel de Mer is found on the Pinnacle class ships only as a full time restaurant and to have it on any other ship, it "pops up" for a night in the Pinnacle Grill. Other restaurants or themes do "pop up" as well.

Rudi Sel de Mer is one of the most consistent pop-ups on HAL. On some of the newer ships, it is one of the standard specialty restaurants, but on others that don’t have the real estate, they’ll convert the Pinnacle Grill into a fine dining seafood restaurant with a different menu than the Pinnacle at least once during a cruise (more if it’s a longer cruise). I was able to book the Sel de Mer in advance prior to our Aug 2018 Mediterranean cruise on the Oosterdam so if you’re interested, you may want to check on line to see if it’s available for your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please explain.
Pop-up restaurants is actually a restaurant "thing". A true pop-up is temporary rather than recurring. The point is to give chefs the ability to "experiment without the risk of bankruptcy", and give patrons an opportunity to experience that unpredictable and exciting artistry.

Sel de Mer isn't really a pop-up. There's nothing experimental about offering the same exact menu, once a week, ever week throughout a season.

Like Bruce says, it's a term used to describe when one of the existing restaurants, usually the Pinnacle Grill, is used for a night to host another themed restaurant. Sel de Mer is found on the Pinnacle class ships only as a full time restaurant and to have it on any other ship, it "pops up" for a night in the Pinnacle Grill. Other restaurants or themes do "pop up" as well.

How does a passenger discover which night is the "pop-up" in PG prior to embarkation? I book PG before leaving home, and I certainly don't want to be in a situation where I go to PG only to be informed it's the Sel de Mer night.

How does a passenger discover which night is the "pop-up" in PG prior to embarkation? I book PG before leaving home, and I certainly don't want to be in a situation where I go to PG only to be informed it's the Sel de Mer night.

Just look at your booking itinerary on the HAL website and go to Dining as if to reserve PG for any night. On the Sel de Mer night, regular PG will not be listed as an option. There will be an additional tab for Sel de Mer showing that night.

When we booked the PG for our cruise in May, I went to where you book dining reservations online. I went through each date shown, and the Sel de Mer showed up (complete with a graphic) for the one night it was offered. All the OTHER nights had the Pinnacle Grill and its graphic. I only booked SdM about 2 weeks prior to sailing, so I'm not sure if my experience is the same as someone who tries booking PG months in advance.

Just look at your booking itinerary on the HAL website and go to Dining as if to reserve PG for any night. On the Sel de Mer night, regular PG will not be listed as an option. There will be an additional tab for Sel de Mer showing that night.

Thanks. I so rarely book online. Normally I call. Stands to reason, the representative would alert me if it's the Sel de Mer night, n'est pas? I didn't think this through clearly before asking the question.