Holland America Line Privileges

qsuzi

Couldn't bring up link (internet slow onboard). There was an invitation in our box this morning to attend a presentation about the program. Everyone on deck 8 starboard (AT LEAST) got the invitation this morning so all? will get one (says it's for the privileged few lol). Was hoping to get more information to decide if we should go but Front Office says it's something like getting rewards when you book hotels, resorts, etc. through the program but may be an annual fee for joining not sure. I'll see if I can find out more before deciding if we will attend.

Edited by qsuzi

It appears to be an American Express co-branded promotion with HAL. Like a loyalty card combined with a branded credit card. There's nothing new, really, just the same perks that HAL Mariners and Amex Platinum members already get.

The website "small print" at the bottom of the home page says "International Cruise & Excursion Gallery, Inc. (“ICE”) a Delaware Corporation, d.b.a. Holland America Line PRIVILEGES™, is a registered seller of travel."

Couldn't bring up link (internet slow onboard). There was an invitation in our box this morning to attend a presentation about the program. Everyone on deck 8 starboard (AT LEAST) got the invitation this morning so all? will get one (says it's for the privileged few lol). Was hoping to get more information to decide if we should go but Front Office says it's something like getting rewards when you book hotels, resorts, etc. through the program but may be an annual fee for joining not sure. I'll see if I can find out more before deciding if we will attend.

Please go to the meeting and tell us what this is about.

It appears to be an American Express co-branded promotion with HAL. Like a loyalty card combined with a branded credit card. There's nothing new, really, just the same perks that HAL Mariners and Amex Platinum members already get.

I agree that it looks like a loyalty credit card. I think hawking it onboard with special "invitations" is tacky. People will show up thinking it's about changes in the mariner program and then get a sales pitch.

Had an overview at the "Privileges" Desk (temporary desk ? - sounds like team has been on a few ships before the Westerdam and will be on others to follow). I do not think this is part of the program Fouremco linked because Jeff Sawyer who I met with says this is for Carnival Corporation cruises and would not get credits on Royal Caribbean for example. Overview without details requested is: It's $1,995 to join but you get $500 credits and 7 day at a resort . It is also $99 per year. Details at 1 800 Sail Hal. Brochure says "earn up to 50% cash back for booking a hotel or resort, purchase merchandise such as jewelry, luggage, sporting goods, electronics, home décor, etc. Also purchase wine delivered to your home and enjoy spa and golf vacation packages. You can redeem your credits $1 in cash back equals $1 cruise credit. Call 1 800 Sail Hal if you want additional details. We do not plan on attending the presentation or joining. It appears that you have "sign Up" to be a member to access details at their website http://www.hollandameicaprivileges.com.

Edited by qsuzi

Maybe Fouremco or someone wants to call 1 800 Sail Hal to verify information. Too expensive to do this from the ship. Based on the overview provided, for us it's not a good investment but may be for others.

Edited by qsuzi

This link provides some additional information. Multiple cruise lines involved:

https://www.americanexpresscruise.com/cruises/promos/amex/shopping/cruise_privileges_program.jsp?cobrand=15558&webpagerecno=2357

Click on the HAL logo for line-specific perks.

When I read the link, it seems that this program is not available to Canadians. I saw several specific references to "US" credit cards. :(

When I read the link, it seems that this program is not available to Canadians. I saw several specific references to "US" credit cards. :(

Yes, I saw that too, but wasn't sure if there might be an equivalent Canadian site. In any event, having read through some of the material, it holds no particular interest for me. Qsuzi, I consequently won't be making that call but will leave it to others who are interested.

I.C.E. is the parent company of the travel agency affiliated with USAA insurance. I have had mostly good experiences with them except for the last one. They have been generating a lot of complaints lately.

We went to the presentation onboard last week. This is what I gathered the program to be.

Initial $500.00 down and balance of $1,500.00 due in 90 days. Renewal annual fee is $99.00. It is similar to buying on Amazon, hotel stays and air fare through HAL Privileges. Percentage of what is spent "inside the program offers" is booked into an account that will reduce future cruise fare.

We went to the presentation onboard last week. This is what I gathered the program to be.

Initial $500.00 down and balance of $1,500.00 due in 90 days. Renewal annual fee is $99.00. It is similar to buying on Amazon, hotel stays and air fare through HAL Privileges. Percentage of what is spent "inside the program offers" is booked into an account that will reduce future cruise fare.

A friend recommended a company who was affiliated with the Post Exchange system that offered "great deals" on cruises. This sounds very similar to that company. I never could get a real quote from them on the prices of the cruises they offered. The savings would have to be phenomenal to offset the initial buy-in and annual fee. They still call me from time to time. I would run from these folks and would not leave any contact information.

I'm quite surprised that Holland would be affiliated something like this.