Cruising after Brexit.

emam

Duty free without having to go to Jersey.

Brie will be replaced with the elusive ‘London Blue’ ( Standard answer if you ask your waiter the name of a cheese of which he doesn’t know the name.)

Great British sail away at every port ( unless you are doing round Britain cruise.)

You will only be allowed to bring 1.38 pints of spirit on board at Southampton.

Otherwise, business as usual, except for the New York style immigration checks at most ports.

If the £ crashes, expect everything abroad to be even more expensive, trips to be more expensive etc. May be not a huge change to cruise prices initially but at home all our food will go up yet again.. ..this will have an impact on cruise prices at some point. I'm more concerned by the number of small shops that have struggled since customers stopped spending since THAT vote and are now going bust. Don't really care about large chains. And please don't blame the internet... the most successful chain is Primark and you can't buy it online!

Not really sure that Passport checks will be necessary. When you think about it, there are already many Non-EU countries where Passports of cruise pax are not checked. The rules of landing by sea somehow seem to be different to flying. My Passport is (nearly) always checked when I fly to Spain for instance but not when I land in a Spanish sea-port.

It would spell disaster as at every port in Europe we would need to go through passport checks. Queues would be massive. It wouldn't be good. If ship leaving 5pm have to ensure back in passport control queue by 3pm!!!

Do you really think so. I hope you are wrong. There may be an initial element of the, “punishing” us but hopefully it won’t last.

Personally I think that it will be no different from going on cruises out with the EU at the moment I have never had a passport check in Norway or Morocco for example but have had them in Russia and the US. It’s down to individual countries and some won’t want to make life difficult for spending customers or the cruise ships will just change to more amenable ports of call..

No one knows for sure, that’s the worrying bit.

Think you all kidding yourselves. Heathrow makes passengers from outside EU wait almost two hours over last few weeks. Trust me these EU27 countries will look forward to making life difficult for the Brits. People have no idea just what we let ourselves in for with pulling out of EU.

Visas and flights?

There are checks on non EU passport holders already in countries such as Norway. Also non EU passengers having to spend hours queuing whilst on the ship for face to face immigration interviews (Princess ship sailing Southampton to Southampton).

We would be non EU passport holders shortly. (Although as we are British any rules will not apply to us :) TIC )

There would not be punishments - it would be following the rules, rules which we helped to formulate. And rules that we will supposedly apply to any one crossing our boarders.

The cruise industry is growing globally, so lack of British cruisers who notoriously spend little when ashore would not be a massive concern. All the cruise lines are gearing up for the Australian and Asian markets. So no one else except us would be too unduly worried by a down turn in the UK cruise industry.

Duty free restrictions would apply to all goods brought into country. No Duty Paid allowance.

Could there be restrictions on the amount of £s you are allowed to take out of country?

Lack of the EHIC card and reciprocal health care. Increased travel insurance.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. There are so many far reaching implications.

Think you all kidding yourselves. Heathrow makes passengers from outside EU wait almost two hours over last few weeks. Trust me these EU27 countries will look forward to making life difficult for the Brits. People have no idea just what we let ourselves in for with pulling out of EU.

We are not in the Schengen zone, hence if you fly say to Amsterdam you have to show your passport here and there. If you then fly on to Rome you don't have to show your passport to anyone as you are in the Schengen zone.

Once in the Schengen zone any nationality can trot around Europe without showing your passport. That will not change once we leave the EU. Venice do a cursory passport check when getting back on the ship but its not an immigration check.

Let's be totally honest nobody has a clue what will happen it's all guesswork.

Too true, and I imagine that Carnival and RCI and most other cruise companies don't have many firm ideas on the likely impact as yet.

If things go pear shaped I wonder if we will be able to get full refunds of any deposits we have made beforehand?

We are not in the Schengen zone, hence if you fly say to Amsterdam you have to show your passport here and there. If you then fly on to Rome you don't have to show your passport to anyone as you are in the Schengen zone.

Once in the Schengen zone any nationality can trot around Europe without showing your passport. That will not change once we leave the EU. Venice do a cursory passport check when getting back on the ship but its not an immigration check.

No we are not in it but due to our EU membership we can enter. Once we are out of EU we will most likely need Schengen Visa like all others do who are not part of it or hold EU Membership. These tourist visas are issued on country by country basis. So lets hope something is sorted before crashing out altogether.

No we are not in it but due to our EU membership we can enter. Once we are out of EU we will most likely need Schengen Visa like all others do who are not part of it or hold EU Membership. These tourist visas are issued on country by country basis. So lets hope something is sorted before crashing out altogether.

What on earth is a Schengen Visa! Norway is not in the EU and is in the Schengen zone, we are in the EU for now and not in the Schengen zone.

Every tourist from any country on earth once in the Schengen zone can travel unhindered.

As mentioned before project fear and complete rubbish.

I forgot to mention the question of mobile telephone and data post Brexit... We use 3 as a provider and had 3 at home which we used across the world including Europe (71 destinations at present) making calls and burning data within our contracts before the blessed lords of Brussels gave us a strange sensation of deja view. Vodaphone have only 48 inclusive destinations but 104 other destinations where the cap is £6 per day. So the airwaves will fall down after Brexit? Nope, not in a competitive market, just more project fear disinformation for anyone keen to listen.

It would spell disaster as at every port in Europe we would need to go through passport checks. Queues would be massive. It wouldn't be good. If ship leaving 5pm have to ensure back in passport control queue by 3pm!!!

We've just been with thousands of Americans, Australians and Canadians and there were no major issues for them at all. Rather an exaggeration surely.

So as we pay the same tariffs when roaming in the EU as we do at home, why on earth would you expect the same when we leave? It's an EU law, that we benefit from while we are members. Can't pick and chose the bits we want and don't want.

I am not giving it a moment's more thought. What will be will be. Both sides stand to lose, so both sides need to make a deal.

Great answer. We survived before and we will survive again. I can't see the other EU countries not wanting UK tourists and the money they bring to them ...........

Good to see the doom sayers out in force. I am old enough to be able to say I travelled across Europe before EEC and have continued ever since throughout Europe and the world both professionally and for pleasure. I do not believe that things are ever as bad as they appear in a 2 am nightmare when you wake up the next morning.

Yes, I am against remaining tied to the EU in any shape and do not expect it to live for long after our departure. Large authoritarian empires always crumble and the signs are there for this one is, thankfully, teetering on the brink. I just hope and pray that it collapses safely and without mayhem.

There is so much disinformation, let's take EHIC as an example.. EHIC does NOT provide health cover whilst on a cruise and it provides, in reality, only a small part of total health costs should you need assistance abroad now. Then we have the Visa question.. The proposal is, naturally, to treat the UK as a non EU nation and that will therefore have to purchase an EU wide visa,, So what? What is the problem with that? That is what we do almost everywhere else in the world. They will NOT want to stop British tourists visiting their countries, many of the European economies are based on British tourists and are sufficiently fragile to fear that we will simply go elsewhere. Any reciprocal arrangement will stop health tourism to the UK so every cloud........ Next, the question of trade tariffs..As the EU exports far more to the UK than we do to them then any bi lateral trade tariffs increase our balance of payments. We however would be free to set zero tariffs on imported goods from non EU countries (many of which attract high tariffs at the moment) if we wish.

However, the bottom line is that no one knows what will happen, not me, nor the doom sayers who preceded me. So I am in favour of paraphrasing davecttr in comment #2 'lets sit back and enjoy the ride', it should surely be better than the soaps!

We have a Europe cruise booked immediately after Brexit day, and then a do it ourselves rail holiday to Italy 5 months later then a further Europe cruise on the first anniversary. If it worries you, cancel your plans away and go elsewhere, there are plenty of people who will snap up the cheap cabins your lack of business will undoubtedly bring.

Well said

I am old enough too and am sure that the world will not end !!!