When is a good time to book late with P&O?

bpb53

We have recently suffered a disappointment and to cheer ourselves up are thinking of booking a cruise with P&O in the near future. I started looking just over a week ago and note that the holiday we were most interested in last week is £100 cheaper this week... this is only our 2nd cruise, our first was booked months in advance and we were happy to pay the then going rate to get the cabin we wanted etc.

Can anyone advise whether the prices continue to reduce as the date of the cruise looms and if it is worth waiting to see "the whites of their eyes"...?

We have recently suffered a disappointment and to cheer ourselves up are thinking of booking a cruise with P&O in the near future. I started looking just over a week ago and note that the holiday we were most interested in last week is £100 cheaper this week... this is only our 2nd cruise, our first was booked months in advance and we were happy to pay the then going rate to get the cabin we wanted etc.

Can anyone advise whether the prices continue to reduce as the date of the cruise looms and if it is worth waiting to see "the whites of their eyes"...?

Its supply and demand.

If they have to fill cabins it will go down, if they get an influx of bookings it will go up

Pays your money (or not) and take your chance

I booked 4 weeks ago only now to find the same cruise is £125 cheaper

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, just a little bit miffed that the agent was really pushing us to book a week ago - this is a very popular cruise and is selling out fast... and yet here we are, just a few days on and it has been discounted further, plus there still seem to be many free cabins. I have worked in sales myself and have always found that honesty is the best policy if customer service is your remit, therefore seriously considering booking through a different company.

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, just a little bit miffed that the agent was really pushing us to book a week ago - this is a very popular cruise and is selling out fast... and yet here we are, just a few days on and it has been discounted further, plus there still seem to be many free cabins. I have worked in sales myself and have always found that honesty is the best policy if customer service is your remit, therefore seriously considering booking through a different company.

A key point is the three month point when cruises have to be paid for. People tend to drop out at that point if they are going to drop out. Each cruise is different but of late booking very early has been the way to go. In your case you have to be on the look constantly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I worked for a 'Cruise Agent' for a while - you had to say 'This cruise is popular and cabins are selling fast - the prices I am quoting are only valid for the length of the phone call' on every call! It creates a sense of urgency and you'd be surprised how many customers would book on hearing it. Whether or not it is moral is another matter!

Hi Swanseaboy, I know you are right, i guess it creates a sense of urgency and marketing people know that works, however, that said it seems a bit "short-term-ist" in that I for one would be more likely to give repeat custom to a company who dealt with me with fairness, now I'm feeling rather wary and very pleased and thankful that there are forums like this.

Was this a travel agent suggesting you book now...or pando direct.

As long as you don't mind what so ever where your cabin is, or when you eat..I have known people book on a Friday and join the ship Monday (they were sat with us at dinner) . As already said its your fellow cruisers looking and booking the cruise that will effect the prices, more than anything else.