Drinks bill

TrueBlueAngel

My husband and I are on the Brittania next month and we like a drink, maybe a cocktail, a couple of whiskies and gin and tonics give or take per night. We will be purchasing the wine package.

I’m just wondering what are other people’s experiences on drinks bills at the end of two weeks and roughly how much did you drink. Don’t want a surprise huge bill at the end of the trip. Though we will track it on our account regularly. Not done a cruise without a drinks package before.

Many thanks.

Agree with the previous post. (y)

If you look in the forum you will see some P&O price lists.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2657045

Look up the prices of the drinks you normal buy and you will then be able to calculate your approximate daily cost.

You could then top up your on board account with the amount you would expect to spend during the cruise.

Edited by P-L-B
Additional information

We drink what we wanted and maybe a bit more...

The prices are reasonable and our bar bill was around £350 for a week for the 2 of us.

A typical day was a cocktail in the afternoon, a couple of drinks before dinner and a couple after in the live lounge.

The most we spent in one day was less than £60.

Cocktails £6.95, Bellini about £6, pint of Peroni £4.75.

Have a fantastic time.

I have just come off Celebrity Silhouette and had a premium drinks package and am on Britannia next month to Rome. For Celebrity, I originally liked the idea of a package, as it was free, but I did find that I drank more. Also I think if the cruise line offers a package then the price of the drinks are normally inflated. X offered sold a small bottle of Stella for 12$, which is a huge mark up. P and O don't offer a full drinks package, but their prices are cheaper than Celebrity, in comparison.

If I had to pay for a drinks package I would not, so will be quite happy on P and O next month

If I had a suite on RC or X and the drinks package was free I would also like that, of course, but end up getting too drunk some nights, which I don't like.

Before the introduction of drinks' packages, the American Dollar ships did charge more than P & O for drinks but not to the extent they do now.

Since the introduction of the packages bar prices on Dollar ships have increased dramatically to where they are today. I am sure they have done this as an inducement to take their packages.

I only hope that P & O don't go down the same route but I think that they will. Over the past few years they have increased their prices stealthily. Last year I did four P & O cruises and noticed 5 or 10 pence increases regularly occurring as opposed to a one off annual adjustment.

Over the past five years prices have certainly increased faster that the rate of inflation.

It would be nice to think that P & O have introduced these packages as a result of customer demand but I think that would be rather naive of me.

I'm sorry if I come across as cynical but I have been cruising for many years before and after P & Os takeover by Carnival and I think the writing is on the wall.

Before the introduction of drinks' packages, the American Dollar ships did charge more than P & O for drinks but not to the extent they do now.

Since the introduction of the packages bar prices on Dollar ships have increased dramatically to where they are today. I am sure they have done this as an inducement to take their packages.

I only hope that P & O don't go down the same route but I think that they will. Over the past few years they have increased their prices stealthily. Last year I did four P & O cruises and noticed 5 or 10 pence increases regularly occurring as opposed to a one off annual adjustment.

Over the past five years prices have certainly increased faster that the rate of inflation.

It would be nice to think that P & O have introduced these packages as a result of customer demand but I think that would be rather naive of me.

I'm sorry if I come across as cynical but I have been cruising for many years before and after P & Os takeover by Carnival and I think the writing is on the wall.

You are probably right, but at this moment in time, even with the increases, I find the overall P&O offer good value.

If the drinks prices increased drastically, then I would take the package, but make sure I got my money’s worth and more...

I think/hope P&O will settle on a happy medium like the offer that was trialled that works for some but not for others.

We will see...

I have heard this many times blaming Carnival for the demise of P&O. Carnival trumped RCCL at the very last minute to merge P&O in 2003 and all cruise lines whether part of Carnival or not have changed whether for better or for worse. Cruising now is far cheaper taking into consideration of inflation so something has to deteriorate to keep prices low. The Captain on Aurora which we were sailing on when announcement was made said that P&O were looking at other companies for investment in new ships as they couldnt do it on their own. It has now been nearly 16yrs since they merged with Carnival and have had 4 new ships and another new one on the way so P&O havent suffered too much. Whether we want to pay higher prices to go back to the standards when we first started cruising in 1997 is a totally different question but if the same standards and food were today then cruise prices would be a lot higher you cannot have it both ways.

You can ask at reception for a print out of your statement, so you won't get a shock. Or just keep your receipts and keep a tally that way.

We do both. We get a statement at the end of week one, check the receipts off against the statement and again the day before we disembark. Works especially if you have OBC to make sure you use it or how quickly you've used it.:(

Edited by Scorpio41
spelling

...It would be nice to think that P & O have introduced these packages as a result of customer demand but I think that would be rather naive of me.

How perfect it would be for P&O or for that matter any line, to sell everyone a package. The bar "take" would be know even before sailing. The price should take into account such things as marathon drinking to achieve full value against poor sailing weather suggesting temporary temperance. Have P&O so priced it? We shall soon see.

MajorTom queries,

>Whether we want to pay higher prices to go back to the standards when we first started cruising...

The first cruise my wife and I took was on The Queen of Bermuda in 1967.

We paid about $100 pd for an OV with a porthole.

My inflation calculator tells me that that is the equivalent of $750 today.

OTOH, drinks at the bar were $0.25 = $1.88 today.

Ira

We do both. We get a statement at the end of week one, check the receipts off against the statement and again the day before we disembark. Works especially if you have OBC to make sure you use it or how quickly you've used it.:(

That's what I do. Much easier on ships where you can check via the TV. Do it daily and no receipts cluttering the cabin up.

MajorTom queries,

>Whether we want to pay higher prices to go back to the standards when we first started cruising...

Ira

The drinks you speak of at that price were made at costs roughly speaking. And today, the $1.88 cost price is about right, approx. £1. It was when the lines saw the potential profits to be made that they introduced "back home" pricing. It bothers me that something that costs $1.88 (£1) be sold for £10., a markup of 1,000% without much protest from the market. Apply that to the price of bread and watch the upheaval

MajorTom queries,

Ira

My first cruise was in 1997 on QE2 and was over £100pppn for the lowest grade inside cabin on the ship. Goodness knows what the equivalent would be taking into the inflation price of food and fuel.

The drinks you speak of at that price were made at costs roughly speaking. And today, the $1.88 cost price is about right, approx. £1. It was when the lines saw the potential profits to be made that they introduced "back home" pricing. It bothers me that something that costs $1.88 (£1) be sold for £10., a markup of 1,000% without much protest from the market. Apply that to the price of bread and watch the upheaval

We all know that the majority of the price of any alcohol is due to punitive taxes. Introduced to curtail over indulgence. In Scotland there is a "minimum pricing" where a unit of alcohol cannot be sold for less than a certain amount. Alcohol pricing had nothing to do with the cost of production

I have heard this many times blaming Carnival for the demise of P&O. Carnival trumped RCCL at the very last minute to merge P&O in 2003 and all cruise lines whether part of Carnival or not have changed whether for better or for worse. Cruising now is far cheaper taking into consideration of inflation so something has to deteriorate to keep prices low. The Captain on Aurora which we were sailing on when announcement was made said that P&O were looking at other companies for investment in new ships as they couldnt do it on their own. It has now been nearly 16yrs since they merged with Carnival and have had 4 new ships and another new one on the way so P&O havent suffered too much. Whether we want to pay higher prices to go back to the standards when we first started cruising in 1997 is a totally different question but if the same standards and food were today then cruise prices would be a lot higher you cannot have it both ways.

I don't think anything I wrote implied the demise of P & O, I was merely pointing out the influence of Carnival. It is not just P & O, Seabourn regulars are up in arms about the introduction of a retreat on their two new ships and they are in no doubt that Carnival HQ are behind that decision.

My first cruise on P & O was on the Canberra in the mid/late 80s, I cannot remember the exact date but as has already been stated it was priced at the equivalent of luxury cruise lines today.

Change is inevitable but I just hope that P & O don't follow the way of the US mainstream lines. P and O are part of the Carnival Corporation and that is a fact of life and it is not going to change. Their influence over P & O has become more noticeable in recent years and I hope P & O will be allowed to retain its own identity.

I don't think anything I wrote implied the demise of P & O, I was merely pointing out the influence of Carnival. It is not just P & O, Seabourn regulars are up in arms about the introduction of a retreat on their two new ships and they are in no doubt that Carnival HQ are behind that decision.

My first cruise on P & O was on the Canberra in the mid/late 80s, I cannot remember the exact date but as has already been stated it was priced at the equivalent of luxury cruise lines today.

Change is inevitable but I just hope that P & O don't follow the way of the US mainstream lines. P and O are part of the Carnival Corporation and that is a fact of life and it is not going to change. Their influence over P & O has become more noticeable in recent years and I hope P & O will be allowed to retain its own identity.

My sentiments exactly.

We all know that the majority of the price of any alcohol is due to punitive taxes. Introduced to curtail over indulgence. In Scotland there is a "minimum pricing" where a unit of alcohol cannot be sold for less than a certain amount. Alcohol pricing had nothing to do with the cost of production

But the cruise line pays no taxes, no duties and no VAT on alcohol. It is purchase by them as Ship's Stores from and at a price set by the distillery.

Edited by ONT-CA

Not suggesting this is the case for Jean but if you have a substantial amount of OBC then this will obviously reduce your final on board bill.

I obviously don't know about Jean's OBC but it is quite possible/probable that Jean's bill for 19 days is circa £300.

I have just looked at our bill for our recent 12 day cruise and totalled our bar charges excluding the OBC and it came to £193. We generally do not drink during the day unless we go to the Glass House for lunch where we will have a glass of wine each (on the last cruise twice), we have wine with dinner each evening and will have 1 or 2 drinks after dinner ( I usually have a soft drink while OH has a beer ). We don't like Costa coffee so the only drinks costs for us are the low volumes of alcohol that we have.

It is obvious that for us a package would not be appropriate.