Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

You wonder if any changes to SOLAS might result from this - it could take 25-30 years to take full effect worldwide, but maybe it prevents something else from happening down the road. If nothing else maybe it can be part of the next drydock for ships and it would be phased in over 5-6 years.

You wonder if any changes to SOLAS might result from this - it could take 25-30 years to take full effect worldwide, but maybe it prevents something else from happening down the road. If nothing else maybe it can be part of the next drydock for ships and it would be phased in over 5-6 years.

What are you suggesting? The railing was high enough. Safety nets? Fencing? Bars?

From someone who is very familiar with what actually happened, she fell from the 6th floor. She was leaning up and over the railing like you aren’t supposed to. It was not a matter of someone being bumped, pushed, or faulty equipment. There are other details, but since I don’t want to get the person who told me in trouble I’ll leave it at that.

Did they tell you where her parents were?

I'm 5'3 and have never seen a railing on a cruise ship where I remotely felt that I might fall over it if I wasn't careful. It's impossible to create a world where you can't possibly hurt yourself no matter how hard you try. They design prisons and hospital psych wards around that and no matter how hard you try it's Imperfect; and personally don't want to live with floor to ceiling partitions everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm 5'3 and have never seen a railing on a cruise ship where I remotely felt that I might fall over it if I wasn't careful. It's impossible to create a world where you can't possibly hurt yourself no matter how hard you try. They design prisons and hospital psych wards around that and no matter how hard you try it's Imperfect; and personally don't want to live with floor to ceiling partitions everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also 5'3" and I need to reach up to get my camera over the railing to photograph the lobby.

Yes. Her mother was in the elevator.

Why would her mother be in the elevator and the child be hanging over a railing? I just don't get it. I am not supermom but I have never been separated from one of my kids like that. And didn't they ever tell her not to hang over a railing. I think i saw in one article that she was a good student. Even if she had never been told not to hang over a railing, it does not require much reasoning skill to realize that you should not. 8 year olds are actually pretty advanced. I am wondering if they were in a fight or something and she was purposely engaging in risky behavior to anger her mom.

Why would her mother be in the elevator and the child be hanging over a railing? I just don't get it. I am not supermom but I have never been separated from one of my kids like that. And didn't they ever tell her not to hang over a railing. I think i saw in one article that she was a good student. Even if she had never been told not to hang over a railing, it does not require much reasoning skill to realize that you should not. 8 year olds are actually pretty advanced. I am wondering if they were in a fight or something and she was purposely engaging in risky behavior to anger her mom.

We have had threads about parenting skills or lack of them and troublesome kids and if thats true her mam was in the lift this is sadly an indication of negligence with catastrophic consequences.

In the hustle and bustle of getting off the ship it seems the mother got on to the crowded elevator and the child was somehow left behind. The little girl panicked about being separated from her family and ran to the rail to watch them on the elevator, leaned over too far and accidentally fell. That is my understanding of what happened. A real tragedy but not really anyone’s fault. Certainly not the eight-year-old’s fault and the mother was probably holding on to the younger child, got on the elevator and then the doors closed before the older child could get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

In the hustle and bustle of getting off the ship it seems the mother got on to the crowded elevator and the child was somehow left behind. The little girl panicked about being separated from her family and ran to the rail to watch them on the elevator, leaned over too far and accidentally fell. That is my understanding of what happened. A real tragedy but not really anyone’s fault. Certainly not the eight-year-old’s fault and the mother was probably holding on to the younger child, got on the elevator and then the doors closed before the older child could get on.

A tragic case of rushing in haste and very sadly having to pay the price later.

We feel genuine sympathy towards the family who will have this guilt for the rest of their lives.

My personal opinion, I agree with Tommy3putts its odd how we haven't heard anything new....perhaps the Carnival video/footage they had did indeed show the little girl on her tippy toes and leaning over...you would think if Carnival was at fault or if she was pushed that the parents quickly hire an attorney and we would definitely hear something by now...all this hush just tells me it was a tragic accident, God Rest Her Soul.

My personal opinion, I agree with Tommy3putts its odd how we haven't heard anything new....perhaps the Carnival video/footage they had did indeed show the little girl on her tippy toes and leaning over...you would think if Carnival was at fault or if she was pushed that the parents quickly hire an attorney and we would definitely hear something by now...all this hush just tells me it was a tragic accident, God Rest Her Soul.

silence from both sides doesn't imply guilt or the lack there of.