Bermuda on a mobility scooter

englishgal

We are doing the TA cruise on Eclipse next April and are calling into Bermuda. We have never been there and wondered if anyone could advise me on what is the best way to see it? Is it wheelchair (or scooter) friendly? We would be very interested in a tour if anyone has any suggestions please?:confused:

We are doing the TA cruise on Eclipse next April and are calling into Bermuda. We have never been there and wondered if anyone could advise me on what is the best way to see it? Is it wheelchair (or scooter) friendly? We would be very interested in a tour if anyone has any suggestions please?:confused:

I've been to Bermuda many, many times both on land vacations, and cruise vacations. It's my favorite place to visit. I haven't been there lately though because I now need a scooter anytime lengthy walking is required. Check the Eclipse excursions to see if any are accessible for wheelchair/scooter. Another thing you could do if you feel safe is to do an independent island tour. Some of the cab drivers at the pier will agree to give you a tour of the island for a reasonable price. The Ferry is a great way to get from place to place, the buses are very small. I'm not certain how accessible either of these modes of transportation are for a wheelchair/scooter.

Beaches are beautiful, but again, I haven't been to the beaches in a while. The islander's are very friendly and helpful.

There are other folks here who have been to Bermuda more recently who can give you much more info than I've been able to provide.

Enjoy that beautiful island, Bermuda is indeed another world!!!

You'll dock at Kings Wharf, and you'll need to take the accessible ferry into Hamilton. Some of the town is accessible, but many of the shops are not accessible because of stairs. At Kings Wharf, there is the glassworks factory, which is accessible, and a small indoor mall that sells the usual tourist things. I did not find the beaches to be disabled friendly.

English Gal, can you walk at all? How big is your scooter? Are you traveling with someone who could help you put it in a van? We have been to Bermuda a couple of times and have really enjoyed it. I can transfer and walk a few steps and my husband can easily take my scooter apart and fit it into a taxi. The Kings Wharf area offers an interesting day of sightseeing all by itself. We spend a few hours touring the fort there and visiting the museum. There is a beach area there and I believe that they might have beach wheel chairs. We took a taxi to Horseshoe Bay beach and they rented us a beach wheelchair. We also took the ferry over to Hamilton and wandered around there and then grabbed a taxi and asked the driver to show us the island on the way back to Kings Wharf. If you have this kind of mobility, I think that you will enjoy the island very much. Have a great time!

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone.

Sorry so long in answering, only just got back online. I will be with my husband who is very helpful and my scooter does break down a little, but not too much. I can manage a few walking steps on the level, but stairs are a problem. I am sure that we will find an accessible taxi, but am waiting for celebrity to get back to me if they have any accessible shore excursions for our transatlantic cruise.

• 4 years later...

We are also docking at Kings Wharf this October 2018 and DH used a mobility scooter. I was hoping to take

the ferry to Hamilton if it is accessible. We are on Disney and you have to have a wheel chair to travel on their excursion.

We have been to Bermuda before, but we docked at Hamilton and DH did not need a ECV.

• 1 month later...

I hired a taxi one day and he drove us all over the Island. My scooter folds up and fits into a trunk. On other days, I used the scooter in town.We docked at the other port, right downtown, but the ships can't dock there anymore.

We are also docking at Kings Wharf this October 2018 and DH used a mobility scooter. I was hoping to take

the ferry to Hamilton if it is accessible. We are on Disney and you have to have a wheel chair to travel on their excursion.

We have been to Bermuda before, but we docked at Hamilton and DH did not need a ECV.

Kings Wharf is mostly accessible. The ferry to Hamilton is accessible. You can scoot on and off with no problem. Some of the shops/restaurants in Hamilton are not accessible (there can be stairs from the sidewalk up to the shop door).