Lots of equipment

mamamzee

Well, husband now has a portable oxygen concentrator , a CPAP, and a mobility scooter that breaks down into pieces. He is 86 and I am 76. We taken the CPAP lots, but not the other two. Last week, we took the POC and the CPAP on a plane and security was a nightmare. In addition, "they" (at the POC store) said it wwould fit under the seat of a plane. It does, if you dont mind sitting with your feet on it and your knees in the air.

To add a mobility scooter to all this seems more than we want to do. Can anybody help with advice??

I choose to continue traveling even though I am significantly disabled due to post-polio. The Cpap can go in the overhead. You have a choice as to what to do with the scooter, either gate check it after he rides it to the plane or check it when you check in and arrange for wheelchair assistance to the gate. Security screening always takes me longer than others flying with me. We get to the airport very early, 3 hours before domestic flights and 4 hours before international. To me it is worth it but that is not the choice everyone makes.

And is there any space left for your clothes...

I think many of us deal with that problem on every trip. The scooter is actually the easiest item to deal with for flights. When I arrive at the departure gate, I advise who ever is working that they have an option on taking my scooter; they can take it immediately and provide me assistance and wheelchair to the plane or I can ride it to the plane and then they can take it; whichever is easiest for them.

Packing: I do not use a CPAP, but I have a nebulizer with the original box. Looking at pictures, they are about the same size. I stuff some under ware around the nebulizer in the box and pack it in my suitcase. Oh, my suit case is a four wheel carry-on. In addition, I have a shoulder bag that is probably the maximum size for most of the airlines “free” item and a six pack size cooler.

Significant amount of my clothing is classified as medical, those items, plus extension cord, adapters, charger and nebulizer qualify my suitcase as “medical”, thus no charge. I even sneak in my shoes and some other clothes in my suitcase.

All my medicines and liquids are packed in the cooler which I attach under the bar coming out in the back of the scooter. My suitcase I attach to the back of the scooter with two tight bungee cords, thus it rolls right with the scooter, not towed.

An advantage us ladies have over the guys is I our light weight clothing. I can get four to five complete outfits in a couple packing cubes which fit perfect in my shoulder bag. And I still have room to put in my purse, snacks, travel documents and puzzle books.

Documentation; well we use to have to carry something signed by our doctor for the POC. So my doctor and I just incorporated everything and she renews it every year plus a complete list of all my medications. I've only had to show the documentation to the airlines a couple times. However, I did have a serious accident on one cruise and all three hospitals thanked me for my detailed paper work.

It is easier than you think... If you would like more detail or have further questions, please ask.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty