Help needed with Norway itinerary

tamsin87

Hi everyone

I am planning a 2-weekcouple’s trip to Norway in the first week of June. The key intent is to see asmuch of Norway’s amazing landscapes as possible within this timeframe, and toinclude hikes only if they enable us to see a different panorama that we cannototherwise.

I prefer to do a combinationof train, car and cruise – again with the intent that I use the best transportsystem to view that particular section of Norway, while also getting toexperience a cruise (never done before) and not over-exert oneself on drivingas it’s a leisure trip.

With the above in mind, I havedesigned the below itinerary and I would love your suggestions on (1) if theoverall itinerary makes sense, (2) if the point to point travel choices are themost optimal, (3) and where to stay during each part.

2-Jun/ Land in Oslo, train from Oslo airport toSognefjord, overnight at Sognefjord

Need recommendations on where and which hotel to stay in this area in a , someplace easily accessible by public transport as we will have two suitcases, hasamazing views, is a convenient base to do the cruise from on the next day, andjust chill and see the views for a while (Flam seems to be too mainstream)

3-Jun/ Fjord cruise and ambling around, evening toBergen, overnight at Bergen

4-Jun/ Bergen sightseeing full day, overnight travel toAlesund

Need recommendations on if Ishould spend less/more time in Bergen city, on how to go to Alesund fromBergen, cheapest and most scenic mode of travel - would a cruise be it?

5-Jun/ Hire car in Alesund, drive to Geiranger,overnight at Geiranger

6-Jun/ Drive to Atlantic road, drive back to Alesund,drop car, overnight at Alesund

need recommendation on othermust-do day trips from Alesund

7-Jun/ sight-seeing in Alesund, flight from Alesund toHammerfest, overnight in Hammerfest

Need recco on the most scenic section of the Hurtigruten in the summer, as I will tweak my itinerary just to do that. So far, I have read Hammerfest to Svolvaer is the most scenic stretch.

8-Jun/ Hammerfest to Svolvaer cruise by Hurtigruten,overnight at Hurtigruten (12 pmboarding)

9-Jun/ Reach Svolvaer, overnight at Svolvaer (6:30 pm landing)

Also need advice on where tostay as base in Lofoten, how to go from the Hurtigruten drop point to there,and contacts to hire cars

10-Jun to 12-Jun/ Hire car in Lofoten, drive around anddo hikes for 3 days

13-Jun/ return car in Lofoten, public transport toBodo, overnight from Bodo to Trondheim by white night train (9:10 pm to 7:47am)

14-Jun/ Day train - Trondheim to Andalsnes to Oslo byDover and Raume train lines, to see the views (8:18 am to 3:03 pm)

Do the trains get delayed? IfBodo to Trondheim runs late, I might miss my Trondheim to Oslo train! Also, plsadvise what is the best way to enjoy this train ride, should we get off in themiddle and spend a few hours somewhere?

15-Jun/ spend 1.5 days in Oslo

16-Jun / flight back home

You have asked the same question on TripAdvisor (it's fine!) and here what I answered regarding the Hammerfest to Svolvaer part :

I don't think you need to go as far North as Hammerfest for the Hurtigruten cruise. The most scenic part from me is between Harstad and Svolvaer (although the whole trip is beautiful). The ship departs Harstad in the morning (8am) and arrives in Svolvaer the same day at 6.30pm. It might be more convenient (flight-wise) to fly to Tromso and board the ship the night before (11pm or so). That will give you one extra day which you can use somewhere else.

I missed the part about Bergen to Alesund. In June, Hurtigruten ships sail into the Geirangerfjord. The ship leaves Bergen at 8pm, arrives in Alesund in the morning, then sails to Geiranger and is back to Alesund in the evening. The cost is the same whether you leave the ship in the morning or after the Geiranger sailing, so Il would definitely stay on board for the whole day. Whether you still want to return to Geiranger the day after or just find something else to see is up to you. There is also I think an overnight bus from Bergen to Alesund but it would make for a very uncomfortable night. Or just fly.

My thoughts are an extra night in Flåm area before heading to Bergen and then Hurtigruten from Bergen to Lofoten- be aware that you only can book Hurtigruten port to port at hurtigruten.no - or by phone.

3 or 4 days at Lofoten will be fine. Also the sailing from Bodø to Harstad is very Nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi SarniaLo, Elka, Hallasm

Thank you so much for your replies! I will definitely do the Bergen to Alesund route via Geiranger as it takes care of travel and sight-seeing together. Is Geiranger better done by cruise or by road though? Are there any other short stretches on Hurtigruten like this that I should consider including?

The only reason I am going up to Harstad and then coming down back again to Lofoten, is because I read the downward journey is during the day and hence better for sight-seeing as vs upward (which is during the night for Lofoten to Harstad). Pls do advise if this is not the case. Also, I do not want to spend too much time on board, as we are first time cruisers, so might get sea-sick! :(

I am confused because now you mention Harstad and in your original message you say Hammerfest. Which are you actually considering?

If you feel like spending the night awake, in June you have the midnight sun, so no darkness at all, and you can enjoy the sailing between Svolvaer and Harstad in the Northbound direction. It's unlikely you will get seasick as most of the journey is in sheltered waters.