The Spirit stretch?

Mudhen

Silversea updated the status of the Spirit on their Facebook page yesterday. She moves into the dry dock March 5 to actually be cut in half. They showed a few pictures of the section they’re adding.
So, from the looks of the pics, they are adding 10 suites per deck. Is that what you were expecting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those people at Silversea are extremely clever. They have managed to create superior verandah suites "offering spectacular sunset views".

I guess that is one way to ensure that at least half your customers on any given evening will be disappointed .......... :)

ef862ba18251d7a6d8bae25d1031512a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silversea updated the status of the Spirit on their Facebook page yesterday. She moves into the dry dock March 5 to actually be cut in half. They showed a few pictures of the section they’re adding. Not much to see other than a big hunk of multi-storied steel with all sorts of pipes and wiring sticking out of it but interesting. Despite my personal misgivings and concerns about Musifying the Spirit I can’t help but marvel that they can actually slice a ship in half and extend it like this.

It isn’t new technology. Back in the 1970s BC Ferries stretched all 7 of its Vclass vessels. The Q of New Westminster is still running between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay. (She also got a ‘lift’ and re-engined).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, from the looks of the pics, they are adding 10 suites per deck. Is that what you were expecting?

More or less. Looks like Deck 8 might not get ten cabins but then again it appears they’re reconfiguring that area quite a bit, more than just adding cabins.

More or less. Looks like Deck 8 might not get ten cabins but then again it appears they’re reconfiguring that area quite a bit, more than just adding cabins.

If you look at the current and new deck layouts you can see that deck 8 gets a lot of changes.

If you look at the current and new deck layouts you can see that deck 8 gets a lot of changes.
Thx Mr. Silver. I’ll have to check them out as I haven’t looked in ages. I figured deck 8 was probably just going to be nothing more than an extension of the pool deck to provide more seating space for the grill.

Thx Mr. Silver. I’ll have to check them out as I haven’t looked in ages. I figured deck 8 was probably just going to be nothing more than an extension of the pool deck to provide more seating space for the grill.

Deck 8 is the deck below the pool area. Deck 9 cabins are all forward of the pool and other than maybe sprucing up don’t appear to be changing. It’s really hard to tell exactly what they might be doing to the area around the pool as I don’t see any significant change from the old deck plan to the new. 50 feet is a lot of extra space so there’s got to be some impact.

Here is the press release on the Spirit Stretch SS put out a few weeks ago.

https://www.silversea.com/other-resources/press-releases/2018/february-/last-port-of-call--silverseas-silver-spirit-docks-in-dubai-ahead.html

Today, the Spirit should be at the Fincantieri shipyard for start of the drydock.

Do know Silversea is having a special event for some TA's as the new spirit extension is installed later this week. The fortunate TA's courtesy of Silversea will enjoy one nite at a very nice hotel, then a night in a very nice Italian villa, followed by an evening in a hilltop castle.

Do know Silversea is having a special event for some TA's as the new spirit extension is installed later this week. The fortunate TA's courtesy of Silversea will enjoy one nite at a very nice hotel, then a night in a very nice Italian villa, followed by an evening in a hilltop castle.
Wow! Pretty cool. Is your TA going?

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the first cruise on 6th May and certainly weren’t told about the refit before we booked. I Would have seriously thought twice.

I Hope they use plenty of glue.

One thing i’m Not sure about is that we can’t a reserve a table for la dame on any night at all during the cruise. Every night it shows as not available Is this usual or is it maybe not going to be open.

If anyone else is on this cruise please say hi.

We are booked on the first cruise on 6th May and certainly weren’t told about the refit before we booked. I Would have seriously thought twice.

I Hope they use plenty of glue.

One thing i’m Not sure about is that we can’t a reserve a table for la dame on any night at all during the cruise. Every night it shows as not available Is this usual or is it maybe not going to be open.

If anyone else is on this cruise please say hi.

Hi Davey

Think the small venues means it's full for the duration

Martini bar though should be open. See u there

If I missed this info, I apologize....

I'm guessing that "Hot Rocks" will be gone and a pizza venue will go in it's place?

Do we know if it's only pizza, or would there be some other Italian goodies available?

Do we need a reservation for this place? I know it starts with an "S"....wouldn't dare

try to spell it!!!

If I missed this info, I apologize....

I'm guessing that "Hot Rocks" will be gone and a pizza venue will go in it's place?

Do we know if it's only pizza, or would there be some other Italian goodies available?

Do we need a reservation for this place? I know it starts with an "S"....wouldn't dare

try to spell it!!!

Hot Rocks will still be there for the evenings. The pizzeria will be upstairs in the pool deck area on deck 10 and I don’t believe it is a reservation venue. Not sure if it is open at night but it won’t interfere with the Hot Rocks.

Spaccanapoli is only pizza (although they are good pizzas) so most people ask for a salad as well, which will be brought up from Hot Rocks - makes a decent meal, nice way to have a totally casual dinner - I find having to dress up and have a 'proper' dinner every night rather wearing, especially on longer cruises.

I have often wondered what happens to all of the still useful items taken off of a ship during refurbishment, and this bit from a CNN article explains what is happening in the Spirit's case.

" The ship's current suites are also to be refurbished. Silversea says it's already donated 11 containers of furniture -- including sofas, chairs, curtains and computers -- to hospitals, nursing homes and schools in Chania, Crete."

Good to know that others will benefit.

I have often wondered what happens to all of the still useful items taken off of a ship during refurbishment, and this bit from a CNN article explains what is happening in the Spirit's case.

" The ship's current suites are also to be refurbished. Silversea says it's already donated 11 containers of furniture -- including sofas, chairs, curtains and computers -- to hospitals, nursing homes and schools in Chania, Crete."

Good to know that others will benefit.

Agreed. I was on an Amazon cruise with Silversea several years ago. They lowered into the river for awaiting small boats some deck tables that had been replaced and large packets (wrapped in waterproof blue material) of soft goods -- old uniforms, linens, etc.

Many of us resist the mandatory medical research "contribution" (that one can easily opt out of). It is reassuring to know that the charitable impulse at Silversea goes beyond the owner's favorite charity.

Spaccanapoli is only pizza (although they are good pizzas) so most people ask for a salad as well, which will be brought up from Hot Rocks - makes a decent meal, nice way to have a totally casual dinner - I find having to dress up and have a 'proper' dinner every night rather wearing, especially on longer cruises.

My pizza was not done in the middle. I never tried again.

My pizza was not done in the middle. I never tried again.

Did you say anything at the time? Just curious, because anytime I’ve had an issue with anything, simply telling someone (anyone: it can be your butler) usually results in an improvement. I’m not a complainer by nature, but my attitude is “if they don’t know, how can they fix it?”

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? Today is April 22 and I assume the Spirit is welded back together and probably afloat by now. They’re two weeks out from the first schedule revenue cruise but I’d think there’s a lot of checking and rechecking to be done. I also assume she has to be recertified as seaworthy. ?????

According to one of the tracking websites she is currently north east of Palermo going west at 21 knots so looks like she is fully under test.

The location makes sense and I am sure there would be classification society surveyors onboard. I shall be on board myself for the new Maiden voyage and just 2 cabins from the cut so good to see that things appear to be forward.