Live - SIlver Explorer October 25 2017, Guayaquil to Valparaiso

jpalbny

Not to hijack the thread but Vick's vapor rub directly on upper lip and under nose helps to prevent unpleasant odors from being detected by ones olfactory senses

Ha, that stuff will dull your olfactory senses beyond repair. It might kill all my enjoyment of wine drinking for the rest of the cruise... :(

In the medical field, we use gauze, soaked in tincture of benzoin, stuffed inside a surgical mask. The fumes are a bonus!

JP what dates are you in Melbourne ? we are there the weekend 23/24/25 March !

We arrive the evening of the 24th and leave Monday morning. What are you doing in Melbourne? Halfway between home and Tassie?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We arrive the evening of the 24th and leave Monday morning. What are you doing in Melbourne? Halfway between home and Tassie?

JP if you are free to catch up for a drink on 24th email me ! :D

rojaan19 at gmail dot com

JP if you are free to catch up for a drink on 24th email me ! :D

Will do! I think that should work for us.

Where are you staying in Melbourne JP?

We're at the Park Hyatt, just outside the CBD. BTW, that abbreviation makes me think of the common bile duct...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

JP, I thoroughly enjoy reading your trip reports. Just wondering how you and Chris manage the caloric intake without negative consequences on your frequent trips. As a wine lover myself I am also interested in your medical opinion on consuming regular amounts of a class 1 carcinogen (alcohol). I want to be healthy, love good food and nice wine to go with but I also travel frequently and I want to reconcile what the health consequences could be.

Gourmet Gal, thanks for the impossible questions. The short answer is that we haven’t figured out a great way to manage the calories. Cruise food is so different from what we eat at home. It is so rich and calorically dense that even if you eat half of what they offer you, it’s still too much. I’ve tried. We are also very active on vacation, and we still can’t burn all of the calories.

So, we invariably gain weight on vacation. We work hard to reverse that process once we return home. Sometimes it takes longer than others. I am still not down to my pre-cruise weight, six months after this trip. Two weeks in Australia put a stop to that downward trend.

We eat sensibly at home and we don’t go out a lot. We cook almost everything from scratch so we know that what we’re eating isn’t full of sugar or bad stuff. We exercise more or less regularly, though this winter it was close to impossible. So we look at our vacations as being a vacation from that routine. I know that if I were to worry about every calorie, it would ruin the fun. Especially on this cruise, which was a food and wine cruise.

I don’t think that we (medical profession) know the real answer about wine either. I find it hard to believe the new recommendation calling for a maximum of one glass of wine per day. The French say three a day is ok, and I have a French name, so I’m going with their guidelines. Of course, on this kind of cruise, you have exceeded that amount by noon on most days…

Regarding carcinogenesis, that is multifactorial. We see that alcohol consumption is linked to breast cancer. However, Belgium and Denmark have higher rates than France, but France drinks more alcohol per capita than either. So it’s probably not a simple linear relationship. What is the key? We don't really know as much as we think.

Nutritional guidance is always changing. I strongly believe that overall good nutrition is far more important than whether you have some wine, and I think that looking at alcohol consumption by itself is misleading. Consider the difference between having a few glasses of wine along with a nutritionally-balanced meal, or drinking cheap beer as your sole nutritional intake. One is probably associated with more health problems than the other.

Rigid adherence to a fixed diet is hard and the overall average is probably more important than precise daily intake. So if we eat or drink too much one day, we do less another day. And in the end, we do what makes us happy. Good food, enjoyable wine, and most times in moderation. Enjoy, and have fun!

JP, apropos of absolutely nothing .....

I was bored and looking through the list of alcohol consumption per capita recently, which I actually found fascinating. For instance the types of alcohol preferred by different regions and countries.

One of the most unexpected findings was that the highest consumers of alcohol per capita in The World is (or was depending on which list you see) ... the citizens of The Vatican. :)

And of course for those like me over 70 years of age there are now severalo community studies showing that the more alcohol you drink the longer you live.Non drinkers have the shortest remaining life spans.Quite probably due to survivor bias.

The there is the Busselton study from Western Australia.If you are a non smoker you are less likely to die than non drinkers.

Non-smoking Busselton men and women who classed themselves in 1966 as non-drinkers had significantly higher 13-year mortality from all causes and from cardiovascular disease (CVD) compared with non-smoking drinkers. Such findings are the first to be reported in women.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7085181

So drink up and enjoy life.Just dont smoke.

It’s the stress that kills you. If you worry about the alcohol harming you, it will, but just because of the stress you’re putting on yourself through worrying. On the other hand, if you just let a drink or two take the edge off, you’ll have less stress and live longer. My opinion only, of course. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks JP for your response. All makes sense. I actually lose weight when I travel, I think, because I want to taste everything so I decrease portion sizes and somehow, by default I must be comsuming fewer calories. But there are so many opportunities to drink, from airport lounges, to planes, comped bottles of champagne in hotel rooms, welcome drinks, cocktail hour not to mention actual meals! I have to make myself pass almost all of them, especially when flying...I usually end up feeling less tired and will sleep better. Now my husband is another story and he strongly feels that food and drink while traveling is how he can celebrate our good fortune. I just want to enjoy our good fortune for a long time and have to pace myself. Just looking for a happy medium! Cheers!