Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I think it would work as long as it doesn't overwhelm or clash with the print. Somehow, I bet you already thought about that.

I did. I would first try it on a scrap piece of fabric. I keep thinking that it might be too much. Would I have to us a stabilizer with it? I sew, but really never use the "fancy" stitches when I do sew.

I did. I would first try it on a scrap piece of fabric. I keep thinking that it might be too much. Would I have to us a stabilizer with it? I sew, but really never use the "fancy" stitches when I do sew.

Stablizer....depends on the stitch and how much the needle is going side to side. There is a common honeycomb stitch on machines that always seams to pucker up, so would need stablizer.

Given that pants are patterned, how about using a rayon thread in a stretch stitch (which is 3 stitches forward, one stitch back), so it gives some shine and width without clashing with the pattern?

Also, what about leaving a split at the bottom of the side seam and sewing a small medallion type embroidery at the top of the split? It will secure the side seam, but be subtle and yet creative.

(I think the Viking rep is just trying to encourage you to use your machine capabilities. Do what you are comfortable with).

Stablizer....depends on the stitch and how much the needle is going side to side. There is a common honeycomb stitch on machines that always seams to pucker up, so would need stablizer.

Given that pants are patterned, how about using a rayon thread in a stretch stitch (which is 3 stitches forward, one stitch back), so it gives some shine and width without clashing with the pattern?

Also, what about leaving a split at the bottom of the side seam and sewing a small medallion type embroidery at the top of the split? It will secure the side seam, but be subtle and yet creative.

(I think the Viking rep is just trying to encourage you to use your machine capabilities. Do what you are comfortable with).

Thanks, I love the medallion type embroidery at the top of the split idea.

Hey all.

Ive enjoyed reading the last few pages and seeing everyone designs.

So i decided to treat myself for my birthday last November and buy myself a brand new teal sewing machine. My mum taught me to use a machine when i was a kid and i did take 6 months of home ec in year 9. I really have no idea what i am doing but i'm enjoying trying. I made a couple of Christmas bags with Aussie animals Christmas fabric for my friends in the US and a couple of santa sacks for my niece and nephew. Even made a few Christmas fabric table runners to. So my skills are very basic. :)

I had been searching on pintrest and YouTube for ideas but on the weekend i took the plunge and purchased a few patterns online from a craft store here in Australia that are meant to be easy. Fingers crossed. Waiting for them to turn up in the mail and i hope to start this weekend. Bit nervous thats for sure. The patterns were for a skirt and shorts but i was eyeing off one for a coverup but thought i better pace myself. its o hard not to walk into a fabric store and night buy a few meters of everything i like. I need to remember. Try it on some cheap fabric first then the real stuff Hoping by my cruise in October i will have at least one item i have sewn to take with me.

I love bright colours and tropical fabrics. I find everyone around me wears muted colors like blacks and creams . If clothing stores do carry colorful things i usually then dont like the designs. Ive always been a bit of a tomboy and feel like i missed the course on what to wear. I am learning though thanks to the fashion section on here and again Youtube and pintrest. Hopefully with practice ill be able to make what i want to wear.

Hopefully ill be able to update soon on my sewing success and of course a few dramas :)

Hey all.

Ive enjoyed reading the last few pages and seeing everyone designs.

So i decided to treat myself for my birthday last November and buy myself a brand new teal sewing machine. My mum taught me to use a machine when i was a kid and i did take 6 months of home ec in year 9. I really have no idea what i am doing but i'm enjoying trying. I made a couple of Christmas bags with Aussie animals Christmas fabric for my friends in the US and a couple of santa sacks for my niece and nephew. Even made a few Christmas fabric table runners to. So my skills are very basic. :)

I had been searching on pintrest and YouTube for ideas but on the weekend i took the plunge and purchased a few patterns online from a craft store here in Australia that are meant to be easy. Fingers crossed. Waiting for them to turn up in the mail and i hope to start this weekend. Bit nervous thats for sure. The patterns were for a skirt and shorts but i was eyeing off one for a coverup but thought i better pace myself. its o hard not to walk into a fabric store and night buy a few meters of everything i like. I need to remember. Try it on some cheap fabric first then the real stuff Hoping by my cruise in October i will have at least one item i have sewn to take with me.

I love bright colours and tropical fabrics. I find everyone around me wears muted colors like blacks and creams . If clothing stores do carry colorful things i usually then dont like the designs. Ive always been a bit of a tomboy and feel like i missed the course on what to wear. I am learning though thanks to the fashion section on here and again Youtube and pintrest. Hopefully with practice ill be able to make what i want to wear.

Hopefully ill be able to update soon on my sewing success and of course a few dramas :)

Wonderful to hear about your new sewing machine. What machine did you get?

Like you I just love bright colors and tropical fabric. I have been sewing for a while and now I am just starting to branch out and try new patterns and fabrics.

Right now I am finishing up some pants.

I have to learn how to post pictures here again, so I can post my finished pants.

What pattern company do you have in Australia?

• 4 weeks later...
Did you know that there is a sew along blog with McCalls?

http://blog.mccall.com/2018/03/02/its-the-royal-wedding-sew-along/?utm_source=MPC201803Social&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MPC201803Social

It may be the incentive I need to make/sew the dress I was going to do last June!

Thank you. I will check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an old pattern classified as Simplicity Threads. All of the outfits go together and they are white or blue mix and match. Perfect for a cruise. There is a pants pattern, top, skirt and jacket.

I have been looking at old patterns too. I want a wide leg pants pattern that is a little different. I don't want to makemy own pattern (don't know how). something like this I would like to make.

c1e0ad56acd34f40a38995722a49d833--vogue-patterns-pants-style.jpg

a56a41b1d9e8d8f871b304ff1029b4b0.jpg

I am new to this thread but just had to add the photo of the dress I made for our recent cruise. I started sewing again (previous experience at school...) at a class about a year ago.

I am in the UK and love watching Project Runway, so on a pre Christmas trip to New York I managed to visit Mood!

I brought 4 lots of fabric including this lovely red cotton with stretch, I wore this on MSC Seaside last month.01a8bfdd87f2df4eaae005e04c8ef350.jpg

The sleeves have a flared bit at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am new to this thread but just had to add the photo of the dress I made for our recent cruise. I started sewing again (previous experience at school...) at a class about a year ago.

I am in the UK and love watching Project Runway, so on a pre Christmas trip to New York I managed to visit Mood!

I brought 4 lots of fabric including this lovely red cotton with stretch, I wore this on MSC Seaside last month.01a8bfdd87f2df4eaae005e04c8ef350.jpg

How lovely.

I just watched the finale last night. Glad Anthony won. He’s a hoot.

Welcome.

How lovely.

I just watched the finale last night. Glad Anthony won. He’s a hoot.

Welcome.

Nooooo! We are behind you in episodes!!!!!

That is too funny for words!!!!

Welcome to the thread.

Your dress is beautiful and looks lovely on you. Happy to hear that you went back to sewing.

I am still trying to find time to finish up two pairs of pants. And thanks to the ladies on this thread I have some new patterns to check out.

Are you sewing anything now?

Nooooo! We are behind you in episodes!!!!!

That is too funny for words!!!!

I'm so sorry![emoji33] [emoji27] I watched it on my dvr, not live and I didn't give that anythought.

Go watch Trading Spaces reruns on TLC till new one premieres tomorrow night!

I'm so sorry![emoji33] [emoji27] I watched it on my dvr, not live and I didn't give that anythought.

Go watch Trading Spaces reruns on TLC till new one premieres tomorrow night!

I am not sure we Have Trading Spaces here. And don’t worry it’s just funny, I do have to admit that I am known for using google to find out who wins these programs...

Welcome to the thread.

Your dress is beautiful and looks lovely on you. Happy to hear that you went back to sewing.

I am still trying to find time to finish up two pairs of pants. And thanks to the ladies on this thread I have some new patterns to check out.

Are you sewing anything now?

I have been making a shift dress with the fabric I had left but gave it up last week as a bad job! It is a Mini Makes pattern and is hideous!

It has very odd seams in the busy that I cannot get right so it will not get finished!

So I am starting a new project on Tuesday.

I bought 3 other fabrics from Mood so deciding what to do first.

I am pleased I have found this thread!

I have been making a shift dress with the fabric I had left but gave it up last week as a bad job! It is a Mini Makes pattern and is hideous!

It has very odd seams in the busy that I cannot get right so it will not get finished!

So I am starting a new project on Tuesday.

I bought 3 other fabrics from Mood so deciding what to do first.

I am pleased I have found this thread!

with the shift dress, can you cut it into a skirt?

with the shift dress, can you cut it into a skirt?

No totally wasted! Just re read my post (done from phone) and noticed spelling errors! Should say Mimi Makes for the pattern and Bust darts don’t look right!

No totally wasted! Just re read my post (done from phone) and noticed spelling errors! Should say Mimi Makes for the pattern and Bust darts don’t look right!

I would not worry about spelling errors. I can't spell pop backwards!

Ha ha !

Anyhow my life changes from today!

I have bought a second hand overlocker!!! So watch this space!

Great to hear that you brought a overlocker. I have a serger too. I would not make clothing with out it. I would not wnat to take the extra time to finish seams with out a serger. What type did you get?