Salmon Fishing

CruiseCriticMamaBear

Yes I have fished in Alaska many times, never off a cruise ship port stop always trips for fishing. I would say yes do it as it will be a great day. But I do not believe you will be fishing for salmon. I believe the trip is a saltwater fishing trip on the bay. So you should be able to see great views and have lots of fun. I also believe it is a private trip but you should check only your group. The amount of fishing vs sightseeing will be up to your group. Also the cost seems to be very fair.

As everything is included. When I fished form salmon it was costly, river fishing, paid guides, licenses, etc.

That looks like a wonderful trip! It looks like this is the company that provides the trip, and unless prices aren't current, it is cheaper to book through the company itself rather than the tour broker:

https://exclusivealaska.com/alaska-fishing-wilderness-dining

My concerns about this trip for your family would mainly be about the prior experiences of your children. Our children and grandchildren are used to being in small boats from infancy and know they have to sit fairly still for extended times, but kids who don't have that experience might find it difficult to be on a boat for several hours that they can't move around on. There might be a boat with a cabin, which could be a better fit for your children, but there are trade-offs with that (not as much fishing space). This is definitely a trip to call the actual excursion company and ask questions. There is plenty of contact info on their website.

Yes I have fished in Alaska many times, never off a cruise ship port stop always trips for fishing. I would say yes do it as it will be a great day. But I do not believe you will be fishing for salmon. I believe the trip is a saltwater fishing trip on the bay. So you should be able to see great views and have lots of fun. I also believe it is a private trip but you should check only your group. The amount of fishing vs sightseeing will be up to your group. Also the cost seems to be very fair.

As everything is included. When I fished form salmon it was costly, river fishing, paid guides, licenses, etc.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback. You are right it is not salmon fishing, but because you pointed that out I was able to find one that includes salmon fishing. Thank you!

That looks like a wonderful trip! It looks like this is the company that provides the trip, and unless prices aren't current, it is cheaper to book through the company itself rather than the tour broker:

https://exclusivealaska.com/alaska-fishing-wilderness-dining

My concerns about this trip for your family would mainly be about the prior experiences of your children. Our children and grandchildren are used to being in small boats from infancy and know they have to sit fairly still for extended times, but kids who don't have that experience might find it difficult to be on a boat for several hours that they can't move around on. There might be a boat with a cabin, which could be a better fit for your children, but there are trade-offs with that (not as much fishing space). This is definitely a trip to call the actual excursion company and ask questions. There is plenty of contact info on their website.

Thank you for the website, that helps a lot! I also appreciate your feedback on kids. I'll look for some youtube videos for the kids to see if they think they can sit still that long. I find if they can see it, then they usually know if it's a good fit.

If it's raining will they not cancel the excursion and give you a refund?

HaHa! If they canceled excursions in SE Alaska every time it rained they would be out of business! So no, you fish, hike, kayak, and dogsled in the rain. They will cancel in high winds, however, as sea conditions would be rough. I really recommend the wilderness fish and dine excursion over charter salmon fishing as there is a lot of "action" with people catching a fair number of fish.

I have done salmon charters and they are boorrrring! You troll, which means you put a line out from the back of the boat and sit there as the boat moves slowly through the water. Then you wait for a salmon to hit the line... and wait, and wait, and wait some more. Fish and Game uses a statistic called "rod hours" in fishing reports that tells you how many hours you have to fish to catch one salmon. During the runs, it can be 1-2 hours per fish. Outside of the runs, it can be up around 80 hours per fish. You don't say when you are coming but you should check your dates against salmon runs to see what the odds are you will catch a fish. Last time I was out trolling, we had four lines in the water and caught 3 fish in 3 1/2 hours. Having had considerable experience taking my kids fishing, I can say that they would get pretty restless after the first 45 minutes or so.

HaHa! If they canceled excursions in SE Alaska every time it rained they would be out of business! So no, you fish, hike, kayak, and dogsled in the rain. They will cancel in high winds, however, as sea conditions would be rough. I really recommend the wilderness fish and dine excursion over charter salmon fishing as there is a lot of "action" with people catching a fair number of fish.

I have done salmon charters and they are boorrrring! You troll, which means you put a line out from the back of the boat and sit there as the boat moves slowly through the water. Then you wait for a salmon to hit the line... and wait, and wait, and wait some more. Fish and Game uses a statistic called "rod hours" in fishing reports that tells you how many hours you have to fish to catch one salmon. During the runs, it can be 1-2 hours per fish. Outside of the runs, it can be up around 80 hours per fish. You don't say when you are coming but you should check your dates against salmon runs to see what the odds are you will catch a fish. Last time I was out trolling, we had four lines in the water and caught 3 fish in 3 1/2 hours. Having had considerable experience taking my kids fishing, I can say that they would get pretty restless after the first 45 minutes or so.

Thank you for the feedback, we will to wilderness fish and dine, there is no way my kids could wait that long to catch a fish.

Thank you for the feedback, we will to wilderness fish and dine, there is no way my kids could wait that long to catch a fish.

Great choice; I totally agree with Wolfie. Plus on the Fish and Dine, you get to get out on a beach. The kids should totally love that.

not sure where you are getting the ship but if you get it either in Seward or Whittier (Anchorage)...if you hit the correct dates...you can look them up under salmon fishing in Alaska, you can go fishing right off the shore in Seward...kids under 16 don't need a license, and you come into Anchorage, you can fish at Ship Creek...and you can rent equipment right there...Kids, don't need a license, but they do need a harvest card which is free.....but you must have it...