Best place to see Eagles

CrazyLlama

We are on an Celebrity Alaska cruise in June. I have been told by my partner that the thing she most wants to see are some Eagles in the wild.

The cruise includes Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagaway.

I have seen that there is a lighthouse tour that mentions seeing them but due to some allergy issues we are not interested in a excursion that includes a meal stop.

Can anyone recommend a different excursion or are there good opportunities when in the various locations we visit.

As others have said, they are everywhere along the coast. Make sure you bring binoculars and, as the guides say, look for golf balls (the heads) sitting in the trees.

I was sitting on our land-side balcony at the dock in Skagway (if I remember correctly) on our first Alaska cruise when one came swooping down and looked intent on joining me on the balcony! He/she veered off at the last minute. The only other time an eagle has come so close was kyaking down the North Fork of the Shenandoah River near a tree with an eagles nest. Mama or papa flew up behind us so low that he/she cast a shadow and we could feel the air move from the wings flapping. That was both exciting and just a little bit scary. :p

If memory serves correctly the ship will be on Gastineau Channel. Egan Drive parallels the channel and at low tide the eagles will swarm the area because fish get trapped in pools.

Edited by rmf11699
typo

Bald eagles were never on the endangered list in Alaska.

As mentioned, they are everywhere.

Our naturalist (onboard) told us, as we sailed the narrow portions of the Inside Passage, to look for 'golf balls' in the trees. It was a nice way to spot eagles in the trees as their white heads were about the size of golf balls.

My opinion the Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchikan is the best tour to see eagles. The eagles follow the boat, and they play with them. I have great photos and videos of eagles flying up to the boat.

And it was a very interesting tour!

We also saw a lot of eagles on a small tour from Sawyer Gacier to Juneau, but we needed binoculars. They were like white dots, they told us to look for golf balls, in the forest.

Another vote for the Ketchikan Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad of "Deadliest Catch" TV series as the boat stops and feeds the eagle for about a half hour. I have counted at least 40 eagles swooping down to pick up fish near the ship each time I have enjoyed the excursion.

P5050044.jpg

Another vote for the Ketchikan Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad of "Deadliest Catch" TV series as the boat stops and feeds the eagle for about a half hour. I have counted at least 40 eagles swooping down to pick up fish near the ship each time I have enjoyed the excursion.

P5050044.jpg

Great picture!

I 2nd the Aleutian Ballad of "Deadliest Catch" tour for eagle viewing.

sml-1.jpg

Full size @: http://www.fastpictureframing.com/ak/big-1b.jpg

big-2a.jpg

Full Size @: http://www.fastpictureframing.com/ak/big-2.jpg

WBM_8955t.jpg

Full Size @: http://www.fastpictureframing.com/ak/WBM_8955.jpg

I got 100's of great images from this tour.

framer

Your pictures are awesome too. I cannot wait for our deadliest catch excursion this June!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums