Vista vs Horizon.....Any improvements expected?

tap_out

So I was just reading through a couple recent reviews of the Vista that ended up on the main page. For the most part is seems general consensus is about the same and people are disappointed with the ship. We have a Havana inside room booked on the Horizon in August. Now I know the general foot print of the ship is the same and you can only change so much. But can we expect things to be improved on Horizon. Liquid lounge is a huge complaint. Do you see them changing the layout any for better sight lines? They added a full size Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ and Brew house which for one I am stoked about. Seems like they fixed the pole issue in the piano bar, by switching sides of the ship. Also seems like people were not happy with the bland decor on Vista. Will Horizon turn it up? Is there anything they could have done to improve crowd flow? There just isnt much buzz or posting going on about the Horizon even though it drops in a few weeks. I for one am super excited and just looking to spark conversation.

I thought the crowd flow on Vista was fine. You had 2 floors ...deck 4 and 5 which went thru the ship. Other than the guys Brewery...I don't think you are going to see much difference other than the Havana area may be more crowded. Added/designated more cabins to this category and about 40 more passengers. I think you will see some changes on the Panorama...next new ship. Especially in the Atrium area (this is what I've read)

We’ve been on several Carnival ship classes loved them all. Last year we sailed Victory and Vista and loved them both. It’s true on Vista they did a few things differently but we saw the benefits for most changes. The liquid lounge format allowed the seats to be arranged so that the performers could interact with the audience. The atrium isn’t as tall as the Dream class but this allowed for an IMAX theatre.

If you look for bad you’ll see bad. Also we loved the Havana bar. can’t wait to sail Horizon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’ve been on several Carnival ship classes loved them all. Last year we sailed Victory and Vista and loved them both. It’s true on Vista they did a few things differently but we saw the benefits for most changes. The liquid lounge format allowed the seats to be arranged so that the performers could interact with the audience. The atrium isn’t as tall as the Dream class but this allowed for an IMAX theatre.

If you look for bad you’ll see bad. Also we loved the Havana bar. can’t wait to sail Horizon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for triggering my memory from my earlier post...LOL Thats why the Panorama Atrium will be more open ...They are doing away with IMAX Theatre....according to what I read.

Thanks for triggering my memory from my earlier post...LOL Thats why the Panorama Atrium will be more open ...They are doing away with IMAX Theatre....according to what I read.

They are doing away with the IMAX theater, yes, but have they said that they will be bring back a full atrium? I haven’t heard that. My guess would be they are either going to fill the theater space with something else, or it’s going to be more cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't wait for the Horizon! JH and Mike Pack have been posting live broadcasts on social media the past couple of days. I don't read the negative reviews on the Vista. I think it's just people who want to complain. No ship is going to be perfect. I will miss the full size atrium w/ glass elevators, but oh well. I'm sure there will be many awesome things about the ship! Super excited to see the Horizon next month!! :cool:

We have Horizon booked for the TA because we like doing trans-atlantic. We didn't book it for the ship, was not impressed with the things they did to Vista, particularly the liquid lounge, horrible design! Probably will not book either ship again unless a great itinerary is offered.

Pat

So you get rid of a VAST atrium the grandeur of a ship when you board for an IMAX theatre? It's called profit not aesthetics. Myself personally I rather see a huge atrium then spend 15 bucks in an IMAX theatre. I can go to an IMAX at home if I want but I can't see the beauty of a ship that wows you when you first walk in

I don't read the negative reviews on the Vista. I think it's just people who want to complain. No ship is going to be perfect. I will miss the full size atrium w/ glass elevators, but oh well. I'm sure there will be many awesome things about the ship! Super excited to see the Horizon next month!! :cool:

"People who WANT to complain?" I believe differing opinions are what CC is based upon. It is not complaining when one has sailed quite a bit and sees differences that impact the space and flow of a ship and comments upon those differences. Some of the changes CCL made , such as cramming in more cabins on a ship the same size as the other Conquest class ships, closing in a beautiful atrium, removing stationary seating with a view in the theatre to replace it with a multi functional space because they removed other public venues is NOT complaining, but instead relating the FACTS. If you like it, go for it, no one is stopping you....but those of us who prefer a less crowded flow and public spaces that are useful are free to express our opinions and choose accordingly as well.

"People who WANT to complain?" I believe differing opinions are what CC is based upon. It is not complaining when one has sailed quite a bit and sees differences that impact the space and flow of a ship and comments upon those differences. Some of the changes CCL made , such as cramming in more cabins on a ship the same size as the other Conquest class ships, closing in a beautiful atrium, removing stationary seating with a view in the theatre to replace it with a multi functional space because they removed other public venues is NOT complaining, but instead relating the FACTS. If you like it, go for it, no one is stopping you....but those of us who prefer a less crowded flow and public spaces that are useful are free to express our opinions and choose accordingly as well.

Think the Dream class is the best that Carnival has done. When they greatly reduced the size of the comedy club and main lounge they lost us. People do come hear to say what they think otherwise what is the point?

Well said! I could not agree with you more.

LIKE!

The bulk of Carnival cruisers are newbies and that's who they go after. The lack of loyalty program benefits and dumbing down the ship is testament to that fact. If they continue this type of design I can’t wait to see their mega ships, it will make the Oasis class look even better.

We've sailed almost every Carnival class and the Vista happens to be our favorite. I guess it just so happens that the changes they made that others dislike works better for the way we cruise. We rarely go to shows, so the liquid lounge issues don't bother us. We also don't do dance clubs, so again, liquid lounge doesn't bother us. We have a younger family, so the addition of the Family Harbor area is a big plus for us. We love movies, so I'll take the Imax over a 80 feet of unused air simply there for aesthetical purposes any day (just our opinion). The increase in dining venues was another big win for us.

I imagine it's all in who you ask and why you cruise. I have no problem with those who love the things I don't or dislike the things I like. Personally, I'm glad Carnival made these changes. It's why we're on one of the first US based Horizon cruises.

LIKE!

The bulk of Carnival cruisers are newbies and that's who they go after. The lack of loyalty program benefits and dumbing down the ship is testament to that fact. If they continue this type of design I can’t wait to see their mega ships, it will make the Oasis class look even better.

Lets not start the RCL comparison again...Big enough separate thread already!!

We've sailed almost every Carnival class and the Vista happens to be our favorite. I guess it just so happens that the changes they made that others dislike works better for the way we cruise. We rarely go to shows, so the liquid lounge issues don't bother us. We also don't do dance clubs, so again, liquid lounge doesn't bother us. We have a younger family, so the addition of the Family Harbor area is a big plus for us. We love movies, so I'll take the Imax over a 80 feet of unused air simply there for aesthetical purposes any day (just our opinion). The increase in dining venues was another big win for us.

I imagine it's all in who you ask and why you cruise. I have no problem with those who love the things I don't or dislike the things I like. Personally, I'm glad Carnival made these changes. It's why we're on one of the first US based Horizon cruises.

Your very similar to us...Thats why we loved the Vista!!! Carnival offers many classes of ships that have certain designs and layouts which should meet everyones needs....Just do research...but no need to bash the Vista.... I can start bashing Conquest class and Spirit class...but choose not to do so because...I have options and will cruise towards those option!!

They are doing away with the IMAX theater, yes, but have they said that they will be bring back a full atrium? I haven’t heard that. My guess would be they are either going to fill the theater space with something else, or it’s going to be more cabins.

Yes...I have read that the atrium will have more of a open design.....

My 2 cents coming from NCL...

The Vista/Horizon issues remind me a lot of the NCL Breakaway class ships. Big ships with a lot of people. They divide those ships into many small venues in order to advertise that there's "more to do." The problem is anytime a lot of people want to do the SAME thing at the SAME time, it gets too crowded. The pools and theaters on the Breakaway are too small IMHO. I sailed her twice and probably wouldn't do a third unless things change. I'm scheduled to go on the Horizon, which may leave some scratching their head why I would do that considering my experiences on the Breakaway. I booked a Havana Cabana. Therefore, I have exclusive access to the pool area at the aft of the ship. The cabanas have a patio area. On NCL, the closest to that would be the Vibe, which costs extra and sells out quickly. I don't relish the crowds, but I'm willing to give it a go. This seems to be the future of cruising, so might as well find a way to make the best of it.

Think the Dream class is the best that Carnival has done. When they greatly reduced the size of the comedy club and main lounge they lost us. People do come hear to say what they think otherwise what is the point?

The one thing I would change about Dream class is move the Alchemy away from Ocean Plaza. They fix that on Vista but mess up other things.

My 2 cents coming from NCL...

The Vista/Horizon issues remind me a lot of the NCL Breakaway class ships. Big ships with a lot of people. They divide those ships into many small venues in order to advertise that there's "more to do." The problem is anytime a lot of people want to do the SAME thing at the SAME time, it gets too crowded. The pools and theaters on the Breakaway are too small IMHO. I sailed her twice and probably wouldn't do a third unless things change. I'm scheduled to go on the Horizon, which may leave some scratching their head why I would do that considering my experiences on the Breakaway. I booked a Havana Cabana. Therefore, I have exclusive access to the pool area at the aft of the ship. The cabanas have a patio area. On NCL, the closest to that would be the Vibe, which costs extra and sells out quickly. I don't relish the crowds, but I'm willing to give it a go. This seems to be the future of cruising, so might as well find a way to make the best of it.

You made a awesome choice...Havana is the way to go!! My wife and I cruised on Vista in November and had a Havana cabin.... The exclusive area was "heaven" and we met more people on this cruise than past cruises because you see the same people daily. It was great to walk the ship...observe and know we had our piece of paradise at the back of the ship!! Enjoy!!

So I was just reading through a couple recent reviews of the Vista that ended up on the main page. For the most part is seems general consensus is about the same and people are disappointed with the ship. We have a Havana inside room booked on the Horizon in August. Now I know the general foot print of the ship is the same and you can only change so much. But can we expect things to be improved on Horizon. Liquid lounge is a huge complaint. Do you see them changing the layout any for better sight lines? They added a full size Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ and Brew house which for one I am stoked about. Seems like they fixed the pole issue in the piano bar, by switching sides of the ship. Also seems like people were not happy with the bland decor on Vista. Will Horizon turn it up? Is there anything they could have done to improve crowd flow? There just isnt much buzz or posting going on about the Horizon even though it drops in a few weeks. I for one am super excited and just looking to spark conversation.

If you're a fan of the traditional Carnival ship deck layout with a wide promenade and plenty of places to lounge and interact with other people, it won't be an improvement. I got married on the Vista last June and liked the newness of the ship, but hated the ship overall. I don't see any good changes with the Horizon.

I agree that it’s all in who you ask. All the ships have their good and bad points depending on who you talk to. I was on the Vista last month and loved most everything except the lack of interaction/music/entertainment on the lido. However, if you don’t hang outside, you probably wouldn’t notice. It just seemed like the staff were tired and not as into it as we were. Oh well, still booked the Horizon for next February and expecting to have a great time!