Ovation PAYG Drink prices? Need help!

Hi Everyone.

Been cruising before, but first-time RCI cruiser. Booked on Ovation for Nov 18. Trying to work out if a drink package is going to be worth it. We're not big drinkers and its currently showing as $74AUD/day. So basically $150 a day for both of us.

I'm having a whale of a time in trying to find out the 'rough' drink costs in AUD dollars of drink prices on board if you go the pay as go route. Has anyone been on the ship this year and care to share drink prices?

So far, I've worked out that Ovation is all in USD. Gratuities of 18% are added to prices you see on the menu.

So what would the following be roughly in AUD after gratuities are added etc. (on in USD if thats what you remember, I'll do the calcs)

a soft drink?

A beer?

A glass of wine?

Cocktail?

Bottled water?

Does Ovation charge you in USD to your credit card? I have seen somewhere saying they do a nasty lowball USD to AUD conversion, which magically increases the price again, but this might have been a cash payment.

I was really excited for this trip and first time on RCI, but what I'm reading about drink prices, this might be my first and last time on RCI.

Please say it isn't so and many thanks!

On Australian cruises, the price is adjusted to include gratuity; still approximately the same total price per drink though.

Just the price you see is what you pay, and you don't have to add it on.

As I recall, soft drink is about $3US, beer $6 US, wine $8-10US, cocktails about $13.

All onboard pricing is in USD so will need to be converted if you don't pay in US.

Thanks Big_M!

I had asked RCI for some current drinks prices and they thought I was asking for the end of the world and wasn't helpful at all.

Oh the price includes gratuities. That's good to hear and thanks for the rough prices. They don't see as bad as some of the horror posts I've seen around while trying to find out.

Interesting RCI support said gratuities are not included, so guessing they might have confused my cruise with a non-Australian one (mine departs Sydney). Us Aussies don't like tipping!

People keep saying buy a drinks package and be done with it. But looking at these prices, and the fact I'm lucky to only drink 3-4 drinks a day, I'll be lucky to break even and feel forced to drink more just to get value for money. Plus shore days etc.

I'm happy to pay above average prices for PAYG, and it's not really a money thing, more of a don't like to be taken advantage of and used as a cash cow. One post seems to say the soft drink was $4USD + gratuities = ~$6AUD for a soft drink, that was just crazy.

But at the current conversion rate, based on your post they should be about $4AUD for a soft drink, $18AUD for cocktails and $8AUD for a beer, which is fine with me.

The cruise planner is showing $74AUD/day ATM, so that's basically 7-8 beers a day, I just don't drink that much.

So I'm super glad to hear this! Thanks again

Not sure about the drinks prices, it's a while sine we cruised RCI. However make sure you request that when your account balance is put onto your credit card that it is in USD. If you ask for it to be debited in AUD you will get a really bad exchange rate. There should be some way of choosing this option on your online booking. Depending on the credit card you use you may be hit with foreign transaction fees even if the charge was in AUD as the charge is processed in the US. If possible use a credit card that doesn't charge those fees, like teh 28 Degrees Mastercard (their exchange rates are really good too).

We were just on Ovation. All prices here are US dollars and include gratuity. On the drink package all drinks up to $14 were included. Most cocktails were $12, Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc was $14 a glass, beer was around $7. Some wines were around $9 to $10 but not many.

When you consider getting bottled water, the odd coffee and your drink it pays for itself in no time. I usually had a cocktail or two in the afternoon then a couple of wines with dinner and a drink or two after. That came to $US 80 - then add on a couple of waters and a coffee it would be $US90 - in Australian dollars that's $116. Consider how much you think you will drink. Is your cruise port intensive or lots of sea days?

The other wonderful thing with the drink package was the never having to sign for your drink or wonder how much had been charged to our account. It was so easy. My husband would take my card and order two drinks at the same time - I got a wow band for $5 so I could go back to the room or whatever and he'd be able to get the drinks. There were some people who didn't the the drink package who had enormous amounts to pay at the end of the cruise!!

On Australian cruises, the price is adjusted to include gratuity; still approximately the same total price per drink though.

Just the price you see is what you pay, and you don't have to add it on.

As I recall, soft drink is about $3US, beer $6 US, wine $8-10US, cocktails about $13.

All onboard pricing is in USD so will need to be converted if you don't pay in US.

Those prices sound close. Some beers uo $8 I think and soft drinks under $3 I thought.

Also eat them o bill you in US$ an let your Card do the conversion.

Again, thanks everyone for the replies.

We were just on Ovation.

How did you find the Ovation? Wasn't too crowded? It is one of my worries being a mega ship, but also one of the draw cards too.

Consider how much you think you will drink. Is your cruise port intensive or lots of sea days?

Its only a short cruise, We have 5 sea days and 3 port days all up.

So its why I was after the drink prices, trying to work out what is good value and what isn't. At the moment it is showing $75AUD/day for us to buy the package, so thats about $1300AUD extra on the cruise.

We're both not massive drinkers, and doubt we'll be able to keep up with the drinks required to break even. I'm more of a coffee drinker and its showing I can buy 15 coffee card for $48AUD aka $3.20AUD a coffee. Which does include ice coffees for those warmer days.

So might buy a couple of them and go the PAYG route for a few cocktails and softdrinks here and there.

But looking at the prices, if you're into cocktails then the package is the way to go!

But of course, if they do a drinks sale, It might change my mind!

Hi - we wanted to try the Ovation to get the "big ship" experience. No, it wasn't too crowded except perhaps around the pools on a hot day. The Windjammer could get very crowded so we chose to eat out of peak times and found it really good. The shows were fine too, we just made sure we arrived early (at least 20 mins early) to get a good seat. Make sure you book the iFly and North Star prior to boarding if you can - those were fully booked, especially the iFly.

We had no trouble getting into the anytime dining restaurants. Once in though, it is busy but we found the food to be pretty good. One tip is to go to the Solarium on deck 14 for breakfast. Yes, you have to wait for a table but then it's a lovely buffet but with no crowds and your own table!

If you think you won't drink much then by all means pay as you go. There is water and cordial type drinks free plus ordinary tea and coffee. We didn't get much specialty coffee as for that there was usually a queue. It is surprising how much more you might drink on a ship - sea days we'd always have a few drinks during the day and then in the evening around the piano in the Schooner Bar we'd have 2 or three. Also during the day at quizzes etc we'd have a drink. We never got drunk - but it was lovely to know we could have a drink if we wanted. I also got a lot of fizzy water and still water to take back to our room etc.

We did a spreadsheet - put in what we thought we'd drink during the day and worked out if the drinks package was worth it for us. If you think it's not for you then don't worry - just pay as you go and you will be fine.

Hi - we wanted to try the Ovation to get the "big ship" experience.

Same! I'm glad to hear it wasn't too busy. It was one of my fears.

Thanks for the tips on the food and your mini review. Will give the Solarium a go for breakfast.

We have been on a few cruises before and normally go the PAYG option, was just doing some reading as first time on RCI and hearing of some horror RCI 'prices' for PAYG drinks and making sure we didn't get on the ship and go GASP we'll be sipping one drink ALL day long. Again its not that we don't have the money, I just hate being ripped off!

I'll keep my eye out for a drinks package sale and if one comes up, I might give it a go!

What does your partner normally drink? You said you'd just drink a few beers? There was a rose type wine for $9 available most places and some other whites for around $11. We did a similar cruise to the one you are doing except we didn't go to Isle of Pines. We didn't spend much time ashore at either Mystery Island or Noumea. We got off early at Mystery Island and went for a lovely swim and walk around but it was so hot that we ended up back on the ship by lunchtime! Noumea we'd been before so did a ship tour that took us to Anse Vata for 90 minutes plus a little tour around. Noumea is dreadfully expensive so again, we got back onto the ship early!

If there's anything else I could help you with please ask :)

I think you will be better off paying as you go with the drinks, otherwise you will be drinking for the sake of chasing what you paid. I know it is a holiday and such but realistically having a big day and/or evening with the alcohol is fine but you wouldn't want to do it every day. Your body will need a break. Port days also means that you really only have time for a few drinks in the evening. I think you would be better of PAYG and buying the coffee card. At the very least I know you will not be spending $1300.

I think you will be better off paying as you go with the drinks, otherwise you will be drinking for the sake of chasing what you paid. I know it is a holiday and such but realistically having a big day and/or evening with the alcohol is fine but you wouldn't want to do it every day. Your body will need a break. Port days also means that you really only have time for a few drinks in the evening. I think you would be better of PAYG and buying the coffee card. At the very least I know you will not be spending $1300.

I agree that PAYG is good if you really don't drink much... but... we were ahead after 4 wines or two cocktails and two wines. Our deal worked out to be approx $US 48 a day so it wasn't hard to make on the deal each day. I also got heaps of water and some coffees which was great.

To the original poster - between now and when you cruise keep an eye on the prices and there might be a really good deal - it only happened once for us and we grabbed it! Otherwise yes, just pay for what you drink. Also remember that your cruise is 8 months away and prices onboard might be more expensive at that time.

How about buying the refreshment package which includes all the non alcoholic drinks such as Frozen mocktails, bottled water and coffees. This is often on sale for about AUD $ 27 including gratitudes per day. Then you can buy other alcoholic drinks on top of that. Every cabin can take 2 bottles of wine onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on it last week to Tasmania.

Don’t bother with the drinks package.

You can take two bottles of wine,

they have a beer special called bucket of beer ,5 for the price of 4. $37 au. I get fosters 750 mm cans.

Each bar has a mixed drink of the day $8-50 au and some are good.

Then there’s some freebies like the captain party.

As for crowds ,I find it’s the biggest problem with this ship. I’ve been on it 4 times and it really gets a log jam of people.

If you avoid the peak times it’s not too bad.

One other tip if you're buying by the drink, and like wine. Aside from the 2 bottles you bring on board, you can also buy wine onboard by the bottle. Bottles are about US$32-38. However, what you haven't drunk you can leave it e.g. at the restaurant, then come back the next night and continue with it. It brings the per glass price down since you (officially) get 6 glasses per bottle.

We found the only wine we liked was very expensive by the bottle and the glass we got ($14 but on the package) was a very generous size. The wine that was $9 a glass was way too sweet for me. I do think though that had we not got the package I would have learned to enjoy it as I hate spending too much!! Also I think my husband would have had more beers than glasses of wine as the beer was cheaper.

We found the only wine we liked was very expensive by the bottle and the glass we got ($14 but on the package) was a very generous size. The wine that was $9 a glass was way too sweet for me. I do think though that had we not got the package I would have learned to enjoy it as I hate spending too much!! Also I think my husband would have had more beers than glasses of wine as the beer was cheaper.

To be honest ,if you are smart about buying the drinks the prices are reasonable.

We went to a pub in Hobart and bought two pints of boags ( a local beer ) and a scotch and dry ,it come to $32 .

We said let’s go back to the ship,it’s cheaper.

To be honest ,if you are smart about buying the drinks the prices are reasonable.

We went to a pub in Hobart and bought two pints of boags ( a local beer ) and a scotch and dry ,it come to $32 .

We said let’s go back to the ship,it’s cheaper.

In Noumea we bought a house wine and a beer - that came to $NZ 45 !! We also went back to the ship :)

In Noumea we bought a house wine and a beer - that came to $NZ 45 !! We also went back to the ship :)

That may be confusion over the exchange rate perhaps?? Accepting to Noumea is expensive compared to the rest of Sth Sea Islands, I doubt that is the correct price. I would like to think so anyway.

We have had a couple of interesting ones at our 'local' bar at Lemon Bay (well, maybe not local, but we have been there 4 times). First time, after eating and drinking for a couple of hours, we suddenly thought, wow hope they take credit card, as we didn't have any local currency. We asked & were relieved when they said yes to cc. They brought out the bill and it was of course in CFP. We weren't real sure of exchange rate, and asked the waitress "how much is this?". She answered in a lovely accent "You mean in dollerrrrs?" "Yes in dollerrrrs" I said. She left and was gone for ages. Finally she came back with a small piece of paper with an amount in dollars shown, something like $67.30 - to this day we don't know what dollerrrs this amount was in. But when the cc bill came thru it looked ok, with the original CFP amount showing & converted by the bank.

Another time, two drinks came out at A$20 (they were accepting $A cash this time) & then the next time, just one of the drinks came out at A$15 - who knows????