Tulum or San Gervasio?

Wolfhunt

• 2 months later...

Agree. You'll have a high speed hydrofoil ride to the mainland ( Playa Del Carmen - about 20 minutes) then a 2 hour bus ride. Makes for a long day but the ruins are very impressive and worth the trip.

San Gervasio on Cozumel is not really ruins of a city.... it was a temple that people from the Mainland would come over to visit (it was for fertility). It is small, just a few buildings.

Tulum is ruins of an actual small city in late Mayan history. It is not all that significant historically, but it takes pretty photos as it sits next to the ocean. There are maybe a dozen buildings, and one small pyramid temple. You cannot climb any of them, all roped off. It is a nice day trip, if you just want to get a taste of Mayan culture.

Coba is a ruin of a large city near Tulum but doesn't seem any tours go there anymore. It has the highest pyramid in the Yucatan and you can still climb it. We did a tour that was combo Tulum/Coba many years ago and it was worth it. Too bad they quit doing it.

All the really impressive Mayan ruins in the Yucatan are farther inland into the jungle. Belize has quite a few that are 2 hour drive away, but worth the excursion. From Progreso Mexico port there is Chichen Itza and Uxmal, two of the biggest and most impressive sites in world. Well worth visiting.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

robin

Looking at excursions for our May 2018 cruise. When we visit Cozumel I would like to visit the ruins but don’t know which one.

Which ruins would everyone recommend, Tulum or San Gervasio?

Tulum is stunning and the ruins are large and impressive. We did a Tulum and beach excursion - ferry to the mainland and then a tour bus to Tulum, followed by lunch and swimming. The most memorable experience in all of our cruises, bar none. San Gervasio is interesting but pales in comparison. But it’s easier because it’s right in Cozumel. Check out the photos of both sites and you will see the difference. Have fun!

Edited by dohertm1
Typos

San Gervasio is completely underwhelming. It looks like any run of the mill abandoned buildings. There’s not much to make them stand out as ruins of antiquity.

Tulum is more striking but that’s a long day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...
Hi. I am doing the Cozumel cruise in 2019... I want to do Tulum solo without a cruise excursion or tour. What's my best options to accomplish this and not the miss the ship departing lol?

Your best options are to save Tulum for when you are vacationing on the mainland near there or use a cruise excursion; the recent issues with the ferries between PDC and Cozumel have made it even harder than before to do this independently from Coz and not risk missing the ship.

• 4 months later...
Your best options are to save Tulum for when you are vacationing on the mainland near there or use a cruise excursion; the recent issues with the ferries between PDC and Cozumel have made it even harder than before to do this independently from Coz and not risk missing the ship.

I took your advice... planning a day trip on the east side of Cozumel with an early morning stop at San Gervasio. I'm glad to avoid all the hassle. Ty!

I did San Gervasio 8 years ago & what a waste of time, imo. This Nov we are going to Tulum. I've seen video & pictures of Tulum & it looks beautiful. I'm actually excited about the ferry ride over, I actually enjoy tendering too...lol