Coco Cay Snorkeling

akowilm

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, OCruisers said:

Yes, there is a charge for snorkel gear.  

If you have have your own that's fine but you must also have the required floation vest which I think is $5 to rent.

Why would they require a floatation vest? That water is super salty and I have been swimming for 5 decades (like most of us growing up in the SE US, swimming is a favorite pastime and we have more months during which we can do it!).  I didn’t see any vests at Labadee, hopefully it isn’t a requirement for adults.

Edited by 2Beeze

7 hours ago, OCruisers said:

All I know is when we were there, they insisted those snorkeling wear a vest.  :classic_unsure:

I believe you, I was just completely stunned by it  😳 My parents were careful, not obsessive, and I’m 57 now 😉  If you see a tall, stubborn southern belle dodging the beach police, it will be me 😹

Lynn

Edited by 2Beeze

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, 2Beeze said:

I believe you, I was just completely stunned by it  😳 My parents were careful, not obsessive, and I’m 57 now 😉  If you see a tall, stubborn southern belle dodging the beach police, it will be me 😹

Lynn

I think the reason is that the best snorkeling and the most fish are well away from the beach (it's not a short swim), and in deep water (10-15 ft.)   There are some rafts out there for people to rest on, but I can certainly see their reasoning.  They post lifeguards out there for safety as well.    (I bought a snorkeling vest on eBay for $10 and now I just bring it along.  It packs down small.)  

The snorkeling is well worth it.  There are sunken planes and cannons and hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of fish out where the lifeguards feed them.

• Like 1

The snorkeling is a lot of fun. The current was really bad when we went but it was well worth the hard swimming.The NC that was supposed to dock with us that day didn’t stop because it was so rough. We brought our own gear and had a blast. Have fun!

On 1/3/2019 at 3:07 AM, Pellaz said:

I think the reason is that the best snorkeling and the most fish are well away from the beach (it's not a short swim), and in deep water (10-15 ft.)   There are some rafts out there for people to rest on, but I can certainly see their reasoning.  They post lifeguards out there for safety as well.    (I bought a snorkeling vest on eBay for $10 and now I just bring it along.  It packs down small.)  

The snorkeling is well worth it.  There are sunken planes and cannons and hundreds -- maybe thousands -- of fish out where the lifeguards feed them.

And @Trinam2 

We are definitely looking forward to it! I have noted that multiple recent cruises have said they had a lot of wind (some to the point they could not even go ashore). Hopefully things will be a bit calmer in a couple of weeks! I will pop over to the local amazon and grab some vests to save any problems.  😄

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 10:21 AM, 2Beeze said:

And @Trinam2 

We are definitely looking forward to it! I have noted that multiple recent cruises have said they had a lot of wind (some to the point they could not even go ashore). Hopefully things will be a bit calmer in a couple of weeks! I will pop over to the local amazon and grab some vests to save any problems.  😄

Lynn

I’m hoping but June that the winds will be low. I’m the only one in my family who really enjoys deep water snorkeling. The best requirement may also be because they don’t want people putting their feet down on the coral. I noticed in St Kitts that we snorkeled over some coral that was in shallow water where you wouldn’t want to put feet down because of coral damage and feet damage, both! Maybe? 

13 hours ago, SAHMof3 said:

I’m hoping but June that the winds will be low. I’m the only one in my family who really enjoys deep water snorkeling. The best requirement may also be because they don’t want people putting their feet down on the coral. I noticed in St Kitts that we snorkeled over some coral that was in shallow water where you wouldn’t want to put feet down because of coral damage and feet damage, both! Maybe? 

If the coral is high enough, like in Hawaii, you can add in knee scrapes if you’re not careful! Hopefully it will be a good time. And per earlier posts I bought 3 HEAD snorkeling vests for the journey (although it will be my first time using one). We now use a medium size suitcase for “equipment” 😂 Thank goodness for that Delta AMex that gives us an extra free bag 😬

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:22 AM, 2Beeze said:

Why would they require a floatation vest? That water is super salty and I have been swimming for 5 decades (like most of us growing up in the SE US, swimming is a favorite pastime and we have more months during which we can do it!).  I didn’t see any vests at Labadee, hopefully it isn’t a requirement for adults.

Most likely a liability insurance issue.  You may be Dana Torres or Katie Ledecky in the local pool, but as far as their insurance liability goes, you're Debbie Drowningratski.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, 2Beeze said:

Lynn

Flotation vest? With my body fat I need two or three pounds of weight to get down and take a closer look!!!  Hopefully they mean the flat blow-up kind with a co2 cartridge, I've got one of those.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FloridaMac said:

Flotation vest? With my body fat I need two or three pounds of weight to get down and take a closer look!!!  Hopefully they mean the flat blow-up kind with a co2 cartridge, I've got one of those.  

LOL yes, they mean one of those thinner blow up type (that have the waist tie and sometimes a tie between the legs). Most of them are designed something like the one below (and it is likely like the one yoy already have) - 

47F26639-1828-49A7-A28B-2D741E0EF709.jpeg.49a9ec82155d29ba9dc7df76c9fb9b88.jpeg

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 2