Soggy Dollar Bar - Experience on cruise stop?

mrsfuzzmo

I'm looking to possibly charter a boat for a day on a cruise stop. We are in St. Thomas from 8 am - 5 pm, so I'm hoping someone can give me an idea if there is enough time to do this. I'd like to head over to the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke for a few hours of frolicking.

I'm guessing we will need passports, which we will have with us, but I'm looking for a possible recommendation as to who to use to get there, and if you think there's enough time for this.

There really isn't enough time to do it without really rushing. You never know how long it will take to clear customs coming and going. The customs fee is now $75/person, and when you add the cost of the boat it is a very expensive trip with very little free time if any.

This.

I tried very hard to do this last year on a catamaran with an STT port stop of 9 AM to 10 PM. After much contacting and searching, I found a company that did make the trip once or twice a week, I was there on the correct day, then Hurricane Maria took their boat. It was going to be about $350.

Even with a speed boat, I agree with Bill is would be darn near impossible on a regular timed port stop, as well as expensive..

Recommend you find an itinerary that includes Tortola - it's a much easier jump off point for the fabulous S$B. The new Celebrity Edge will be stopping there, and I think one of the NCL ships does also.

Bill is right on with the cost and potential delays, so you would want to hire a reliable charter that makes this run on a regular basis. It really depends on how badly you want to go to White Bay that day.

There are powerboat operators that make the trip all the time with land-based visitors, and because they hold up to 6 ppl the cost per couple is not as hard to take. So you could enjoy at least a few hours in White Bay if you really wanted that. You’d need to research what charters are still making this run, there were a few very popular operators when we looked at it before Irma and Maria.

You do pay the customs fee (in cash), along with the excursion fee and the gas. But past cruisers have found other couples on their roll call and even here on TA to share the excursion. But of course any serious mechanical problem could make your stay on Jost even more memorable!