Holland America's Eurodam and GLBT Travelers

ScottC4746

I think things will be fine on Holland America. I have only taken one trip on HAL and traveled solo (about your age) and it was fine. I traveled with traditional dining and met some great people. I loved the Eurodam and keep looking for a reason for another trip on HAL.

I hate the phrase, "I don't flaunt my lifestyle." It reminds me of Renato trying to teach Albin to "walk butch."

When my husband and I are on a cruise, we hold hands, slow dance together, even compete in the marriage game...in other words, do what lots of straight couples do. Are we "flaunting?" And if we are, are those straight people flaunting their lifestyle, too? Come to think of it, just what is a "gay lifestyle?"

BTW, the only outright homophobia I ever experienced on a cruise was on HAL, but that was over a decade ago. Times have changed.

Edited by shepp

I hate the phrase, "I don't flaunt my lifestyle." It reminds me of Renato trying to teach Albin to "walk butch."

I see what you mean. It is like when straight people ask me where my honey is. I finally got so tired of hearing that I finally said my honey is in the cupboard, my husband is at work.

When my husband and I are on a cruise, we hold hands, slow dance together, even compete in the marriage game...in other words, do what lots of straight couples do. Are we "flaunting?" And if we are, are those straight people flaunting their lifestyle, too? Come to think of it, just what is a "gay lifestyle?"

I had the same reaction to the OP's unfortunate choice of language.

As for HAL, my wife and I just returned yesterday from our first HAL cruise -- no issues.

First time on HAL in April and going solo for my first time in 24 years for spring break. Just started college to get my degree at 54 years old and it is my spring break. Any issues on HAL? I don't flaunt my lifestyle.

We've been on the Eurodam twice and never had any issues. Once was a Jazz Cruise...one of the headliners was Anne Hampton Calloway, and she is open about her partner. (I think they are married, I never asked...if so, then wife.)

We were on an Atlantic crossing, and they had LGBTQ happy hours more than once. (One item of note - the LGBTQ happy hours were never at the 2 for 1 happy hour bars. But I often bought one place, and drank another ;))

Never ran into any major issues about the two of us. Enjoy your trip!

First time on HAL in April and going solo for my first time in 24 years for spring break. Just started college to get my degree at 54 years old and it is my spring break. Any issues on HAL? I don't flaunt my lifestyle.

My husband and I have been on several HAL cruises and never had a problem. There is usually an LGBT gathering on board and on the transcanal cruise last year, LGBT crew members joined the group. Years ago we used to look for notices in the Mariner newsletter for "Friends of Dorothy" meetings. The last few years they simply list LGBT Meeting.

Relax, and have a good time -- the Eurodam in a comfortable ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Go enjoy and take break from studies, congratulations on going back to your studies.

HAL is Great line for LBGT folks. Partner and I really love and enjoy them, many other lines are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If things work out schedule wise, DH may join me.