Why do cruises outside North America generally cost more?

sej67

I can't say specifically but I suspect it boil down to what the market will allow. Passengers considering a European or Asian cruise may have begun their cruise career in Caribbean or Mexican voyages and have set a higher bar for themselves with longer itineraries or more exotic destinations. it may be the logistics to support a ship are more expensive for the line. Or perhaps, as in my career, I set a price point high to make evident the value of my service with the assumption that the end user will sell themselves. Many folks will eschew a competitively priced product or service because they perceive it as less effective or desirable vis a vis the same exact thing with a substantial markup. To your question, a VERY expensive Foreign cruise is way more exotic, exciting and memorable BECAUSE of the cost. Not saying it is right...but everyone needs to make a buck.:evilsmile:

Pending on ship and cabin selection, Alaska sailings are more expensive than Caribbean, as well...

Market forces, to be sure.. also there are bargins to be had on many of these sailings, pending on how and when you book...

bon voyage

Pending on ship and cabin selection, Alaska sailings are more expensive than Caribbean, as well...

Market forces, to be sure.. also there are bargins to be had on many of these sailings, pending on how and when you book...

bon voyage

I agree you can find bargains on Asian Cruises, I have done a few of them, being located in Asia and able to act last minute. But most American and EU guest cannot book last minute with air fare costs. That said some great deals still available longer out. Princess has a 18 day Australia to Hong Kong Cruise in March for well under $100 per day. Costa has a Singapore to Italy cruise 23 days this winter for under $60 days per day.

The Caribbean is basically the the bargain basement of cruising (with the possible exception of Mexican booze cruises). Competition is fierce, so much so that Princess didn't sail to the Caribbean at all during (I believe) summer of 2018, figuring they could make better profits elsewhere.

Asia, on the other hand, is a newish and growing market and Western cruise lines don't sail there nearly as often. NCL, for example, lists 102 Caribbean cruises and only 10 Asian ones. Princess is, AFAIK, the only line that regularly sells Japan-only cruises (with just a day in Korea or Taiwan). And the sailings often play host to numerous Japanese and Chinese groups. So if you, as we do, want to go on a Japan-intensive cruise, it's no surprise they're relatively high priced.

• 2 weeks later...

We've taken just two cruises that did not originate in North America--both from Southampton, England, on Princess ships. Fortunately, our cost per person per day was not that bad. It was the airfare and our costs for our precruise stays in London that added a lot to the total. Plus we spent a lot more on excursions in the ports than we do on Caribbean cruises (none of them through the cruise line).

• 1 month later...

I agree with all of you... The costs in the US are generally cheaper.  We are lucky as we live in S. FL, 35 mins. from Port Everglades.  We have done 39 cruises locally and around the world and there are great deals to be had, but air is the first priority. We will not book a cruise unless we have a good fare on air.  As for the cost quepaquete mentioned, the port charges/costs around the world are higher.  We want to go to Iceland and Greenland and the costs are high, as the prices in general are much more expensive even for residents living there.  It was the same way in Norway.  Residents said they don't eat out because of the cost. A hamburger in Norway was US$40.  You really have to work for those good deals...:classic_biggrin:

Good luck and Happy Sailing..