Stella Australis

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:53 PM.
Rhode Island
2,769 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Does anyone has cruise experience on-board this ship? It was purpose-built in 2010 for sailing in Patagonia. We are looking at a trip that includes a cruise on it. The company also has a smaller ship named the Via Australis. Any feedback will be most appreciated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael
ExPerth, Now Melb Aus
779 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Mike2131
Does anyone has cruise experience on-board this ship? It was purpose-built in 2010 for sailing in Patagonia. We are looking at a trip that includes a cruise on it. The company also has a smaller ship named the Via Australis. Any feedback will be most appreciated.
I gather I cannot name the "other" trip advising website that is co-owned with CC but if you locate it and go to the Ushuaia forum there is a regular poster there named John who works (as a lecturer I think) onboard several times a year. he is very helpful.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Antarctica
Kapitan Khlebnikov Nov 2010 (West Antarctica, Weddell Sea, Riser Laarsen Coast, Sth Sandwhich & Sth Georgia Islands)
Kapitan Khlebnikov Dec 2011 (Final voyage - East Antarctica & Heard Island)
Sea Adventurer: Feb 2014 (East side of Antarctica Peninsular, South Georgia Is, Falkland Is).

Ortelius: Feb 2014 Bluff NZ, Ross Sea, West Antarctica, Peninsula, Peter 1st Island, Ushuaia
Other regions: too many to list so just the highlights:
P&O Oriana 1984 (Indian Ocean) and 1986 (Pacific Ocean), Superstar Virgo 2003 (Indian Ocean),
Radiance of the Seas: Nov 2014 Bravo Theatre Opera cruise - Noumea.

Rhode Island
2,769 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by PerfectlyPerth
I gather I cannot name the "other" trip advising website that is co-owned with CC but if you locate it and go to the Ushuaia forum there is a regular poster there named John who works (as a lecturer I think) onboard several times a year. he is very helpful.
I am on that "un-named site" a lot - researching, posting reviews, etc. Shame on me for not looking there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael
S.E. MA
1,099 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
This is an old thread, but I just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Stella. 111 people, although the ship holds 220...it was early in the season. The ship was very nice, food was extremely good, staff absolutely fantastic. We did 5 landings by zodiac in Tierra del Fuego, guides and excursions excellent. I go again in a heartbeat.
Palm City, Fl
4,862 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by Barrheadlass
This is an old thread, but I just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Stella. 111 people, although the ship holds 220...it was early in the season. The ship was very nice, food was extremely good, staff absolutely fantastic. We did 5 landings by zodiac in Tierra del Fuego, guides and excursions excellent. I go again in a heartbeat.
How were the seas at the Cape?

We were there last year (Dec. 16) on HAL...the Stella was there also...both ships afloat in a sea that resembled a farm pond. It was amazing, we were all pumped up for 40' seas. (I'll take the farm pond)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2016 (Journey-E. Caribbean)
HAL Zaandam 2016 (BA to Santiago)

Crown Princess 2018 (Western Caribbean)
HAL Zuiderdam 2018 (Partial Canal)
Royal Princess 2018 (Quebec to Ft Lauderdale)
S.E. MA
1,099 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by thinfool
How were the seas at the Cape?

We were there last year (Dec. 16) on HAL...the Stella was there also...both ships afloat in a sea that resembled a farm pond. It was amazing, we were all pumped up for 40' seas. (I'll take the farm pond)
One or two nights we had a little rocking, that was it. Pretty smooth seas.
S.E. MA
1,099 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by knitter
We are in the process of booking on their new ship for next October. Any suggestions on what to bring, know before you go?
Definitely bring waterproof pants and a rain jacket, gloves, hat. My cruise was part of a 17 day tour in Patagonia. It was way colder than I expected so I had to buy a winter jacket! Others who didn’t bring rain gear had to buy that, at very high prices. The staff, especially the excursion folks, were wonderful...as was the scenery. Let me know if you have any particular questions. Oh yes, I brought Dramamine and never needed it. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you’ll be well taken care of.
San Francisco
661 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by Barrheadlass
If you are vegan or vegetarian, you’ll be well taken care of.
Good to hear, do you recall the kind of vegan/veggie dishes that they serve?
S.E. MA
1,099 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by sfvoyage
Good to hear, do you recall the kind of vegan/veggie dishes that they serve?
Sorry, I just read this. I’m sorry too that I can’t recall those dishes. I was a vegetarian for 10 years so noticed the offerings, but I can’t remember what the were!