Viking Homelands - Trip to Flam from Eidfjord

angelbear911

We did, this past September. I think the cost was $189 PP, includes lunch at the lovely Fleischers Hotel in Voss ( sandwiches and veggies). We were also in a DV - don't think it ever sold out, but they took, IIRC, 3 buses. I did sign up for it first when our window opened, but don't think I needed to. It was a wonderful excursion - a great way to see some of the high mountain country as well as the lush valleys on the way to Flam. And we still had time, upon returning to the ship, to hike up the Eid River to a beautiful little lake. We loved this port, and the stunning sail out that evening.

We did, this past September. I think the cost was $189 PP, includes lunch at the lovely Fleischers Hotel in Voss ( sandwiches and veggies). We were also in a DV - don't think it ever sold out, but they took, IIRC, 3 buses. I did sign up for it first when our window opened, but don't think I needed to. It was a wonderful excursion - a great way to see some of the high mountain country as well as the lush valleys on the way to Flam. And we still had time, upon returning to the ship, to hike up the Eid River to a beautiful little lake. We loved this port, and the stunning sail out that evening.

Did you have good weather when you were in Norway? On our previous 2-weeks cruise but not with Viking, almost two thirds of the time, the weather was quite cold and terrible (and that was in "Summer"). That is the problem with visiting Norway, the weather is so much more changeable , and often more poor, than so many other places around the world. When the sun comes out, it's gorgeous, otherwise, you'd just want to keep warm inside the ship.

My partner took a day excursion which was quite expensive , to go to the Trollstigen (Troll's Path), as he was keen to take pictures of the beautiful sceneries there. However, it was damp and foggy he could hardly see anything, let alone take any meaningful pictures. You could say it turned out to be a "damp squib"!!!

Just let others going to Norway and taking excursions from ships to be aware that they must take into account the high risk of bad weather in Norway.

We didn't take the tour to Flam but I did want to say that it was my favorite port. The walk that a previous poster referred to was our highlight of the trip with exception to Russia. We walked the entire route but you may not have time to do so. It was so peaceful and great to be off the ship, in nature and on our own. Stunning views in the woods and eventually of the ship. We would occasionally meet up with a couple or two but basically by ourselves.

Thank you, now I am really looking forward that day! Rain or shine we love being in nature and snapping photos :)

We didn't take the tour to Flam but I did want to say that it was my favorite port. The walk that a previous poster referred to was our highlight of the trip with exception to Russia. We walked the entire route but you may not have time to do so. It was so peaceful and great to be off the ship, in nature and on our own. Stunning views in the woods and eventually of the ship. We would occasionally meet up with a couple or two but basically by ourselves.

We were blessed to have 4 days in Norway with at least partial sun! It rained lightly on our walk to the lake in Eidfjord ( thanks for the suggestion, JiminyC _ fan!) but we wore our Gore-Tex and were fine. Of course, we are from the Puget Sound area of Washington state, so are used to just putting on whatever you need to keep you dry and going ahead with your plans - otherwise we'd never go outside this time of year! But we understand our great luck weatherwise in Norway! Have a great trip, angelbear!

soundcruiser, so glad you enjoyed it. We're like you. Rain or shine, we are out and enjoying our vacation. You should have seen us on our Pulpit Rock tour in Stavanger. It was a horrible rainy day but we didn't care. We were at the front of the boat taking pictures.

• 6 months later...

I am wondering about this as well. This excursion (Flam Railway) is sold out for my cruise and my 60 day window doesn't open up until June 11th! For any other port I would have been able to manage with outside companies but not this one! What are the chances that more spaces will open up? Should I at least trying to book something else with another company ahead of time or wait until onboard and hope there is enough interest for 4 more seats to open? :')

We went to Flam as part of a northern lights cruise with P&O. Unfortunately we both came down with terrible cold and chest infection that was going around the ship so we couldn’t go on our excursion. What we did do after lunch was go for a gentle walk around this small but lovely little town. We loved it and if you walk along the waters edge you see that the waters are crystal clear and have lots of beautiful coloured star fish. We both felt rough but it was our favourite port.

Did you have good weather when you were in Norway? On our previous 2-weeks cruise but not with Viking, almost two thirds of the time, the weather was quite cold and terrible (and that was in "Summer"). That is the problem with visiting Norway, the weather is so much more changeable , and often more poor, than so many other places around the world. When the sun comes out, it's gorgeous, otherwise, you'd just want to keep warm inside the ship.

My partner took a day excursion which was quite expensive , to go to the Trollstigen (Troll's Path), as he was keen to take pictures of the beautiful sceneries there. However, it was damp and foggy he could hardly see anything, let alone take any meaningful pictures. You could say it turned out to be a "damp squib"!!

Just let others going to Norway and taking excursions from ships to be aware that they must take into account the high risk of bad weather in Norway.

!

It's definitely a crapshoot. We just returned from Viking Homelands Bergen to Stockholm with a two-day pre-tour from Oslo for the Bergen Railway. Of the 17 days, it did not rain one day! The average in Norway is rain two out of every three days, so we really felt blessed. So those rain boots, hat, coat, and gloves I packed never got used. Not complaining! Go prepared, you just never know.