Just Booked Australia/New Zealand Dec. 2018

Etexvrc

As the title says, we've just booked the Australia & New Zealand cruise!

A destination I've always dreamed of visiting. Only 600+ days away....:rolleyes:

This will be our third cruise with Viking Ocean, the previous two on the Star. My wife and I LOVE the size of these ships (not to leave out their outstanding service!) and are excited that the plan is for Viking to eventually sail 9 total of these ships, offering what I can only imagine will be world-wide destination choices.

Just wanted to share with all our fellow 'cruisers' found here.

How did you determine which type of suite to book? I'm not familiar with the Viking ships, but have been doing a lot of research. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

On our other two cruises on the Star we booked the Penthouse Jr. Suite.

We really like being on the 7th floor. I can't compare to other staterooms firsthand, but my wife and I enjoy having the little extra room. Our first cruise, which was 2 weeks in the Baltic, the 'extra' space really came in handy. Our last cruise, for ~8 days in the Caribbean, we discussed that we could have comfortably stayed in a smaller stateroom.

In a nutshell, and taking the money difference out of the equation, for a two week or longer I would highly recommend as large as possible (in our case the penthouse jr. suite), for shorter journeys I could move to a smaller room.

We enjoy the 7th floor because as you can see from the floor plan, it's on the same level as many commonly visited areas. Plus the views from a higher elevation is always nice.

• 10 months later...
As the title says, we've just booked the Australia & New Zealand cruise!

A destination I've always dreamed of visiting. Only 600+ days away....:rolleyes:

This will be our third cruise with Viking Ocean, the previous two on the Star. My wife and I LOVE the size of these ships (not to leave out their outstanding service!) and are excited that the plan is for Viking to eventually sail 9 total of these ships, offering what I can only imagine will be world-wide destination choices.

Just wanted to share with all our fellow 'cruisers' found here.

We are thinking about this cruise and also the Komodo and Australian Coast. Did you guys consider both trips from Viking before you decided on this one. What date are you sailing?

Hi Texastraveler555,

The overriding factor in our picking this one was that I really wanted to see New Zealand.

We are sailing Dec 16. From Sydney to Auckland.

We just booked our outgoing flight segment and will arrive in Sydney on the 15th.

This is the date were are looking at if we did New Zealand. Say did you book your own flight and where will you be flying from? Our dilemma is that I want to see Sydney and New Zealand and Terry my husband wants to see komota and the other trip. T Business class through Viking is very high although you get the impression it is around $3000 in their brochure. NOT so. I would be very interested in your flight into.

Actually, we are using a professional service to search & book our flights using our airline miles.

Yesterday (2-22) we booked the outgoing segment of San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) (via a 2 hour stopover in Melbourne) for 160,000 AA miles + $65 tax. I don't have time and/or knowledge to trust myself in booking such a long and important flight so I hired a company called 'Book your award'. So far it's worked out well. Their service to watch and book using miles will run us ~$300. Well worth it in my opinion.

I've never flown Qantas ought to be interesting. This service only books for Business or First class seats only.

I may be comparing apples to oranges, but today I booked another VO cruise, Bergen to Iceland. I was discussing this topic of Viking Air vs booking ourselves with the Viking agent. I went ahead and booked Business Air through Viking and the route of Houston-Bergen then Reykjvik-Houston and the cost was $4390. We might be routed through God-knows-where, but that's he risk you take I guess.

Where do you fly out of? Dallas or Houston? I'm assuming you live in Texas by your screen name. We live around the Longview/Tyler area. We are roughly equal distance between DFW and IAH but usually fly international out of Houston (IAH) because it's easier to get to.

• 3 months later...
Actually, we are using a professional service to search & book our flights using our airline miles.

Yesterday (2-22) we booked the outgoing segment of San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) (via a 2 hour stopover in Melbourne) for 160,000 AA miles + $65 tax. I don't have time and/or knowledge to trust myself in booking such a long and important flight so I hired a company called 'Book your award'. So far it's worked out well. Their service to watch and book using miles will run us ~$300. Well worth it in my opinion.

I've never flown Qantas ought to be interesting. This service only books for Business or First class seats only.

I may be comparing apples to oranges, but today I booked another VO cruise, Bergen to Iceland. I was discussing this topic of Viking Air vs booking ourselves with the Viking agent. I went ahead and booked Business Air through Viking and the route of Houston-Bergen then Reykjvik-Houston and the cost was $4390. We might be routed through God-knows-where, but that's he risk you take I guess.

Where do you fly out of? Dallas or Houston? I'm assuming you live in Texas by your screen name. We live around the Longview/Tyler area. We are roughly equal distance between DFW and IAH but usually fly international out of Houston (IAH) because it's easier to get to.

Hey I am just now getting back to this. We booked the Australian New Zealand trip too. We are doing the pre-trip to Cairns. We will be flying out of Houston. Working with viking on the air. Have you booked your return trip yet? Wondering what time of day is the easiest? Also looking forward to others joining the discussion. Thinking about the visa application.

I wonder why Viking does not go to the Milford Sounds . Most NZ cruises go to Milford Sounds, Doubtful Sounds and sometimes Dusty Sounds. As a New Zealander I would expect to see the Sounds as it would be a major decision in choosing to cruise New Zealand.

I will go on Viking to Asia first, then the Australian cruise and hope they have added the Sounds to the New Zealand cruise by then. I no longer want the long flights from NZ to Europe, so will cruise closer to home.

I was also disappointed to see that Viking doesn't cruise into Milford Sound and other scenic areas. But I'm hoping this will be the first, but not the last time we are in that part of the world, so we will save it for 'next time'.

Texastraveler, we usually fly out of Houston, but this trip we are going out of DFW. It was easier finding non-stops between DFW-SFO.

After we depart the ship in Auckland, we are flying back to Sydney to stay a few more days (and see New Years on the harbor!).

From Sydney we are flying China Southern Air (a partner with Delta) connecting through China.

This was the first time I've used a 'service' to book using frequent flyer miles. What we ended up with wasn't the route I would have preferred, but considering the two of us flying business class for a combined ~$1,000 (taxes & fees), overall I'm happy.

On the Sun's recent World Cruise we were scheduled to cruise Milford Sound but it was cancelled due to weather. As was Napier. Not bad weather on board but I guess a bit too windy for safe close quarter navigation. Of all the countries visited on the WC, New Zealand is number one on our return to list. Loved it!:cool:

We might be routed through God-knows-where, but that's he risk you take I guess.

We feared the same and when we made the actual flights(different destination than yours) with them it wasn't bad...they wanted to have us to do one stop and we knew we could get straight through so I pushed them on the issue. They said for $3000 more they would do the straight through. But then my TA (that's when it's so worth using a TA!) asked them if adjusting our flight day one day ahead would make a difference, and it did! No extra charge and a straight through.

Etexvrc do you have any experience with Penthouse verandah? We are also booked for New Zealand and the rooms looked pretty small to us and my husband is very tall and small rooms are difficult especially since the furniture is so small. (mini couches horribly uncomfortable for him) We noted the Penthouse verandahs were larger, so are hoping it will be comfortable for him.

I'm not ex but I can answer. We had a DV and the drawer space was lacking. The bed was good (I'm 6 feet). We had 2 chairs that were ok. Our friends had the PV and it was great. A large sofa (not really long enough to lie down on though), lots of drawers and an extra bureau thing. Their bed was the same. If I had the $ I'd definitely do the PV.

Sunflower, we've only stayed in the Penthouse Jr. Suite so I really can't answer your question.

I realize it's a bit of a 'splurge' by spending more $ on a bigger room, but we love it. That said, I did mention to my wife on our ~8 day West Indies cruise that for that period of time we could have comfortably 'downgraded' to a smaller room.

IMO, as I've stated on another post somewhere, for a cruise of < 8 days the Penthouse Verandah would be fine. For > than 8 days the Penthouse Jr. Suite (bigger) is worth it.

Call me a creature of habit, but I always book the same room (7008). We love staying on that level.